I have decided on a Toronado

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM

I have decided on a Toronado

for my next car. I have spotted a 66 delux and 66 being one of my favorites I may have to go for it. Any 66 owners have any input positive or negative? I am not a front wheel drive affection ado but I love the style and affordability in most cases.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM

The vacuum operated headlight doors generally don't work on the early Toronados.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM

But there is a way to rebuild them. I sold a couple sets of canisters to a guy who rebuilds them and sells them. Not cheap, but a way to get your headlights to work if they don't. I understand there's a spring inside that will typically rust away and if you shake the canister you'll hear the pieces rattling around in there. John
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Lightbulb

Are you thinking about joining the Toronado Owners Assication? Dues are $30/year.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by toro68
Are you thinking about joining the Toronado Owners Assication? Dues are $30/year.

If I get the Toro I sure will. Still deciding between it and now another 442. I really dislike having to make decisions such as this. I want one more Oldsmobile which will be my last for awhile so I need to decide carefully.

The Toro is on e-bay it is a white 66 starting @10,500 says it was a Cali .,car originally take a look and offer up an opinion.

Last edited by Nilsson; July 25th, 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Love the early Toro's, not an owner, IMO 10.500 is big money for these, I think you can get one in pretty nice condition for less. Seems to be a lot of em around and markek for them is small.....Got to watch for torn CV boots. When ripped water and dirt gets in and ruins the joints, pretty expensive repair too.
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM

I bought one about 3 years ago for $2,000, and it ran. Needed work, but no rust. It sat on a rack at my repair shop (where I pay, I don't do it, believe me; would be a huge, expensive mistake!) for 4 months, trying to find a front wheel bearing. Unavailable. Found a place in Dallas that sold one the day before, exported to Argentina! What? Finally found a place in California (The Parts Place) they deal in bearings/seals. Only cost $179.00 + shipping! Repaired that, sold the car the next week for the 2K + $400 for the bearing/seal replacement. Just didn't need those headaches/storage problems, with three other Oldsmobiles in the garage/driveway.
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM

It would have to be an awsome Toronado for $10,500. Check out this one:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1271418609.html
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM

If you do get a 1966 model, please change the master brake cylinder to a dual unit. 1966 was the last year for a single master brake cylinder (for GM cars).
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:22 AM

Not sure where you are from but here is another one.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1284956287.html
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Buy Project "High toned sonofab1tch" from Steve-o on here. He just fragged the transmission.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM

Howdy Nilsson,
You have some very nice cars. We have something in common, I also have a Merc and an Olds. I have a pristine 70 Merc Marauder X100 and a very nice 68 Toro. I can relate to how people feel about the added expense of the front drive components of the Toro. The Toro parts do cost more and are harder to find. It was much easier to find NOS for my Merc then the Toro. Perhaps I just heven't found the proper channels yet.
The brakes suck on the drum brake Toro's. I have the spindles and everything to convert mine over to the 69 floating caliper style. Found out that the ball joints are very rare and very expensive. So that little project is on hold.
Having said all that: I love my Toro, love the styling, love the way it drives and handles. If I had the cash and was set on a Toro, I would find the most original, low mileage, "needs nothing example" I could find. I would gladly pay 5 grand more for a car that dosen't need anything (as 5 grand probably wouldn't go to far on a Toro).
Cheers, Jim
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by chazzer
Howdy Nilsson,
You have some very nice cars. We have something in common, I also have a Merc and an Olds. I have a pristine 70 Merc Marauder X100 and a very nice 68 Toro. I can relate to how people feel about the added expense of the front drive components of the Toro. The Toro parts do cost more and are harder to find. It was much easier to find NOS for my Merc then the Toro. Perhaps I just heven't found the proper channels yet.
The brakes suck on the drum brake Toro's. I have the spindles and everything to convert mine over to the 69 floating caliper style. Found out that the ball joints are very rare and very expensive. So that little project is on hold.
Having said all that: I love my Toro, love the styling, love the way it drives and handles. If I had the cash and was set on a Toro, I would find the most original, low mileage, "needs nothing example" I could find. I would gladly pay 5 grand more for a car that dosen't need anything (as 5 grand probably wouldn't go to far on a Toro).
Cheers, Jim
Well said.
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chazzer
Howdy Nilsson,
Cheers, Jim

That makes 3 of us that I know of on this board that have Merc's as well as our beloved Old's. Good advice on the Toro that is why I have been searching low and high for a good car. None are to found in Ohio and I get tired of running around only to find piles of rust. Here is one I am considering and it has been re-listed for 7500.00 was asking 10500.00 first time around which was to rich for me. Never have purchased a car before without looking at it so I am still a little reluctant. I have been in contact with the owner and he says it is 100% solid and original mileage. Might wait to see if it does not sell again and make a low ball offer

I really like the 66 body style but I am especially concerned with parts availability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...=p4506.c0.m245

Please post pictures of your cars, I love the Marauders don't see many good examples anymore.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Nilsson,
You never really know about a car until you actual see it do you? However that white 66 looks pretty darn good. Everything from the dash to the trunk rubber is looking OK. $7500 looks like a good price, if it is as good as it looks in the pixs. Keep in mind once you own it you will probably have it for a while because, as was stated before "the market is small for Toros". It's surprising really as they are beautiful cars and very reliable.
Parts would only be an issue if you were restoring one. If it's all there and in good mechanical shape like that 66 would appear to be, it need not be a factor. As far as I know the only impossible mechanical parts to locate are rotors for 67-67 disc brake option, which doesn't concern you in a 66.
Plus you already have two classics all ready so a good solid car if properly maintained is going to last quite a while as you won't be putting the miles on it. Man the old car hobby is killer on the pocket book, isn't it? Its a disease plain and simple. You already have two excellent cars, but you need one more. I know exactly how you feel. Their is no way I'm talking Mama into let me have another at this point though. It doesn't stop me from spending countless hours dreaming and searching for what that third would be though.

I will post some updated pixs of my classics shortly.
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM

this was great for me to read because I paid a little bit more than perhaps I should have for all 3 of mine but they were all original and all there

my friend used to have a saying "plus $10,000" which was the price of the car + the repairs.

true, all of mine needed $2-3,000 in mechanicals but that was relatively easy, and I have 3 close to new 35 year old cars that I jump in at any time and enjoy without (too much) worry that something is wrong
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
car nut farmer

Good thread!! I'm looking into buying a 66 Toro myself.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:16 AM
car nut farmer

Arrrgh, after further research maybe not. Too many hard to find/super expensive parts. Do love the 66 look.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM

you can find one that needs nothing for very little
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

We found our 84 Toronado out of necessity.

Our 94 Chrysler's tranny quit, and so did my Jeep's engine (in the same week), so we needed a car in a hurry.

our 84 'Nado just happened to be sitting at the office of our local Search and Rescue team as a donated vehicle. At first I wasn't into the whole "Big Car" thing. I prefer smaller vehicles (which is funny, because our Minivan was close to the same length and width). That changed once I drove the car.

I fell in love with the old gal. Smooth, somewhat fuel efficient (17-20MPG highway if your nice to it) and comfy as all get out.

For as big as it is, it's surprisingly maneuverable and has adequate power. Brakes are great, considering it weighs nearly 4500 pounds.....
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Up dated pixs of my 1968 Olds Toronado and 1970 Mercury Marauder X100 available here.
Toro: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2148409

Merc: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2116716
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Well.................................I own a '66 and used to own a '69 (Toros) and some of you guys are un/mis- informed. There are great fixes for the headlight aculators; $125 each completely rebuilt, not so bad.
There are centering rings that are like $10 bucks (I think) that let you use the much cheaper newer style wheel bearings.
As interest seems to continue to grow in our 1st gen Toros there are more solutions for the classic problems.
There are many things you guys don't know about. If you're serious about a Toro you need to learn as much as you can at the Toronado Owners Assoc.
There is lots of info availible free and more if you're a member.
We also have a new web site www.toronado.org
I'd be glad to answer any specific questions if I can. I'm not an expert but I have been into Olds for 35+ years and Toronados for 30+.

Have you ever driven a healthy 1st gen Toro?

Mike
TOA #70