1968 oldsmobile toronado gas tank info

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2018, 08:09 AM

1968 oldsmobile toronado gas tank info

I found a tech article on here that says my tank interchange # is 643. That number also appears to cross over to 400235 and is a 1 year only. Is there a recommended supplier I can go to with these 2 numbers to buy a tank? Bill Culp appears to have compiled the data in the tech form. Thanks in advance!! Mitch M.
Old January 14th, 2018, 12:25 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Try Spectra or Quanta. Call. Doubtful they will have it but you may find a will-fit through either. Only other options I'm aware of is to search the desert south-west, west coast, and southeastern coast Georga, Florida, S.Carol etc.... Look in the classified section here and post a want ad. Check Hemmings too.

http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html

or

http://www.gastanks.com/
Old January 14th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Quanta doesn't show availability of a fuel tank for a '68 Toro. Neither does Spectra Premium. Even if they did, you couldn't buy it from them as they don't sell directly. You have to find a local source, such as an auto parts store or an online source like Rockauto. I have used Rockauto many times, and I think it's safe to say that, if it is made for a car, Rockauto would have it. Rockauto does not show availability of a fuel tank for a '68 Toro. A quick check of O'Reilly's Auto Parts website also shows no availability. I would assume the result would be the same at Autozone, NAPA, and anyplace else you can think of.

I went through this sort of thing recently when getting back on the road my '78 Toronado. A fuel tank was easy enough to come by, but not a radiator, which was a surprise. After extensive searching and communicating with other second-generation Toronado owners, it became clear that no one makes replacement radiators for the second-gen Toros. I think you'll find the same thing to be true for a gas tank for your car. I ended up having to have my car's radiator rebuilt with a new core.

droldsmorland is correct. Your only choice is to find a good used tank. I would also do like he suggests, though, and contact some of these vendors to see if there is anything that might work even if it doesn't show as applicable to your car. Other '68 Toro owners would be a good source of knowledge for something like this. I did try this as well as far as trying to find a radiator that was "close enough" that I could use it in my Toro. I had no luck. The dimensions were never quite right, and, while I'm certain I could have made something work, I just didn't want to have something kludgy in the car.
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:16 AM

I've got a used 1967 gas tank that's loose. I do have a 1968 and 1969 Toro parts cars, but they're stored at a buddies shop. It would be a while before I could get those tanks pulled and inspected. If you haven't created a parts wanted thread yet I'd encourage you to give that a try. I've found some pretty clean gas tanks in parts cars from the West Coast. John