To Chrome or Not To Chrome - That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2018, 05:03 PM

I have been looking into re-chroming the bumpers for my 77 Toronado. The prices that have been quoted are outrageous. I realize that chroming is an environmental no-no but even still the prices being quoted are wild. They range from $1000 to $2200 PER bumper. Sheesh the car isn't worth that! on the market but it is a family vehicle so I need to do something.
Recently I came across a process called spray chrome and based on the web pages it looks pretty good and the pricing is approximately half of the cost of chroming. Does anyone have experience with this spray chrome process and can tell me if it looks good (ie like chrome), is durable and worth seriously considering? Are there any downsides to the process?
Appreciate any and all advice.
ByronF
Old January 23rd, 2018, 01:49 PM
Gary

I don't have input on the spray chrome process, but I've had the same sticker shock experience--along with poor quality--from chrome plating by Keystone.

When Tim, my painter, proposed having Keystone do my show car bumpers, I was against it. Tim said he worked through a contact in the company and that his experience had been very good. Knowing Tim is a perfectionist gave me the courage to go ahead.

For $950 (two bumpers) they did an incredible job. Tim passed along his price without markup.

The takeaway for you is that perhaps there is a restoration shop in your town that has some advice and information in regard to chroming at a lower price.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 03:05 PM

You asked about this in your other thread. Here's a photo of your car that you provided. That front bumper looks just fine. It may not be perfect, but it's certainly looks pretty good. Most people would look at your bumper and say "I hope mine looks like that AFTER it's rechromed." Why do you want to get it rechromed?

I've cropped the image to highlight front bumper.

As far as your back bumper, you said it was painted with some kind of silver paint. I didn't notice that at first, but I can see it when you point it out. The bumper has more of a matte finish.

I think there's actually a case to be made for getting the back bumper redone, but, on the other hand, it doesn't exactly look earth-shatteringly awful, either. You might try to find a replacement rear bumper from another car before spending $1000 to get the one that's on there rechromed.

In my opinion, the back bumper does not look that bad and hardly detracts from the appearance of the car. It's not like it's rusty or pitted or something like that.

That's a beautiful car as is. I'd drive it and enjoy it, keep the $1000, and take the family on a vacation before I'd spend it on this bumper.

Originally Posted by ByronF
I think the answer is not to chrome.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 23rd, 2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. The rear bumper looks better in the picture than it really is. My trick photography hides the silver paint. The rear bumper itself is basically solid and can be rechromed but the whole back end needs work as you can see the bumper fillers need to be replaced and painted - actually the whole car needs a paint job. As for the front bumper it looks good straight on but has a big scratch across the top which does not show in the pictures. But it is good enough to wait another year to do. I just want the car to look as nice as Jaunty75's Toro.
There is a fellow locally who had his 54 Ford truck bumpers done with the spray chrome and he loves it. Also claims to have won a number of show awards with the vehicle. He has invited me to come out in the spring to check it out and see for myself. I plan to do that but in the meantime continue to explore and learn what I can about Chrome spray.
if you are interested in checking it out do a Google search for "wicked chrome"
Byron
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:30 PM

Those fender extensions that go between the rear fender and the upright part of the bumper on each end are available. I bought mine here:

http://www.replica-plastics.com/prod...quarter-panel/

http://www.replica-plastics.com/prod...quarter-panel/

There are probably other sources as well.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:42 PM

You can also look into PVD coating for the bumpers. I have no experience with it but a lot of folks get their wheels done.

I Know its very hard when its your car. You notice all the imperfections way more than others. It is also so hard not to compare the condition of ones own car to the trailer queen never driven car next to yours. But I, just like the others have said, would enjoy that car as is.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 10:45 PM

ByronF while it may not be "stock" the rear bumper on your car would look good painted body color the way it is integrated into the body at the ends.

As for the front bumper have you tried 00 steel wool? That will shine it up good and take care of any surface rust.

If its anything like my 83 Riviera i had the factory chrome was terrible from day one, visible scratches under the chrome and just a poor luster, bad quality chrome job.
Old January 24th, 2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 61Bat
ByronF while it may not be "stock" the rear bumper on your car would look good painted body color the way it is integrated into the body at the ends.
"Monochrome" is the term I've heard when referring to a classic car with bumpers painted the same color as the body. I've never seen a car with monochrome bumpers that I like, but that's just my opinion.

I've heard of the spray chrome. What I investigated was actually a heat cured powder coating that looked pretty good. While it didn't look exactly like chrome or polished aluminum it did look good.

I wish I knew about it when I had my bumpers rechromed by Goodmark a few years ago. It cost me $1400 for both bumpers and the chrome on the rear one is already failing!

If you have your bumpers rechromed make sure they aren't shipped to Brainerd, MN. Goodmark is affiliated with LKQ and Keystone Automotive. Avoid them like the plague.
Old January 24th, 2018, 01:36 PM

Here's a '77 Toronado parts car with a couple of decent looking bumpers that look like they would make good cores. Not the greatest photography, and you'd have to go to Texas to get them, but hey, there they are.

Maybe you could pay them to pull the bumpers and ship them. I don't know how much demand they're seeing for parts off this car, and they might be willing to do it just to see the car parted out.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...458350812.html

Old January 25th, 2018, 03:43 PM

something else to consider is when you have shiny rechromed bumpers the rest of the car's imperfections might look worse;kind of all or nothing situation
Old January 26th, 2018, 01:36 PM

???

My problem I have 3 front and 3 rear 65 Cutlass bumpers that need restore or chrome. I'm thinking doing a coating the same color as the body when I get ready to paint it. Or just sell the four or turn in 6 bumpers and get two done in chrome.
Old January 26th, 2018, 03:19 PM

I don't have a rear bumper, but the front bumper on my parts car isn't bad. Shipping would likely be a killer though. I would take $75 for the bumper if you could make it worth your while Byron. I tried to ship a 1977 Cutlass bumper a while back. The heavy metal support plus bumper was about 100 pounds, and I suspect shipping it over the border into Canada would cost several times my asking price. Here's some pictures for you to consider. 10 feet away the bumper looks shiny, but up close its full of fine lines and tiny dots in the finish. John

Old January 28th, 2018, 07:49 PM

Hey all, thanks for the leads on the donor car and John thanks for the offer on the front bumper from your 78. After looking closely at the pictures it would seem that mine are in better shape and the shipping costs to get the other bumpers here would be very expensive. So I think at this point I will take Jaunty's advice and just work with my own rear bumper. I will explore this spray Chrome process and if it looks as good as some claim and is as cost effective as they claim, I will probably go that way because that way I can afford to do both my front and rear bumper for the same cost as just chroming the rear bumper.
Byron