Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

One Piece Gas Line

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2022, 12:44 PM
5th Grade Dreaming

One Piece Gas Line

Sooooo, I thought I might as well replace both fuel lines on my 1968 442 Convertible. Tore all of the old lines out, took a look at the shiny new one piece fuel line, and then it hits me...how the hell am I going to install this one piece, PRE-BENT line?
This is a "frame on" restoration.
Any ideas besides cutting up the one piece line, flarring for rubber hose connections, and turning it into a three piece?
Old July 17th, 2022, 01:00 PM

If you do cut it I'd use flare unions, not hose connections.
Old July 17th, 2022, 01:08 PM
Randy C.

When we did my '68 convertible, it was frame-on. We loosened the body bolts from aft to forward and used a transmission jack (had the car up on a hoist) against a piece of plywood up against the underside of the trunk floor to ever so slightly raise the back end of the body up from the frame. It gave us just enough room to snake the new fuel line into position (had to do a little bending) and get at that one attachment point for the fuel line inside the passenger side rear wheel well. I felt lucky to have the resources and the people who let me try it. We wanted to make sure we didn't dump the car off of the front of the hoist, which we were careful and that didn't happen. We got the fuel line installed intact and everything worked out well in the end.

Randy C.
Old July 17th, 2022, 02:45 PM

If your not staying original I used steel braided lines and various AN fittings on my 67.

Old July 17th, 2022, 03:18 PM

I've posted about this before. You can install the fuel line(s) without lifting the body. It's not easy and it'll fight you but it can be done. I have a '69 442 convertible and replaced the fuel supply and return lines with stainless many years ago. Get the car on jackstands and remove the right rear wheel Keep the frame on the stands and not the rear axle because you want that to drop as much as it can. There's a small window between the frame and the inner wheelhouse that will allow you to snake the line(s) into place. Some bending will be required so be careful.
Old July 17th, 2022, 09:01 PM
5th Grade Dreaming

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
When we did my '68 convertible, it was frame-on. We loosened the body bolts from aft to forward and used a transmission jack (had the car up on a hoist) against a piece of plywood up against the underside of the trunk floor to ever so slightly raise the back end of the body up from the frame. It gave us just enough room to snake the new fuel line into position (had to do a little bending) and get at that one attachment point for the fuel line inside the passenger side rear wheel well. I felt lucky to have the resources and the people who let me try it. We wanted to make sure we didn't dump the car off of the front of the hoist, which we were careful and that didn't happen. We got the fuel line installed intact and everything worked out well in the end.

Randy C.
I appreciate ya. I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking. I had forgotten the "Shock mount shuffle."
Old July 17th, 2022, 09:04 PM
5th Grade Dreaming

Thank you

Originally Posted by therobski
If your not staying original I used steel braided lines and various AN fittings on my 67.

I've thought about it.