Replacement fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:27 AM

Replacement fuel lines

I am looking at replacing the fuel lines on my 1971 Cutlass due to the fact the previous owner cut a section out to install electric fuel pump. Has anyone had any experience with the inline tubes aftermarket fuel lines, also looking at OEM Steele VS Stainless.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

I got stainless from Right Stuff. Be aware that the factory put the lines on the frame before the body. Replacing with a one-piece pre-bent line with the body on the frame is challenging at best.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:36 AM

The lines that I have been looking at say they are two piece and I figured the factory originally would have been one piece, are the right stuff lines one or two piece lines?
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coppertopgmc
The lines that I have been looking at say they are two piece and I figured the factory originally would have been one piece, are the right stuff lines one or two piece lines?
The repro lines are one piece each for fuel, evap, and return lines. A two piece line would be a lot easier to install with the body on the frame, however. I've not seen any vendors who sell those.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:55 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Why not make your own from 1/4" or 5/16" copper nickel tube?. Easier to form than steel and lasts forever.

Roger.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The repro lines are one piece each for fuel, evap, and return lines. A two piece line would be a lot easier to install with the body on the frame, however. I've not seen any vendors who sell those.
I went on right stuff web site and the parts I see say they are 2 pieces, do you have part numbers for 1 piece lines. Very interesting that right stuff and inline tube use the same part numbers.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:12 AM

My car is a convertible so I know the lines will be different than hardtop cars.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 10:59 AM

I got mine from Inline Tube and had them make it in 1/2 SS. Same ones from Right Stuff. This is a 66 convertible. It was one piece but had to cut it for what I was doing.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:14 PM

Ive done new lines to 76` A-body. I routed them where original lines went just "recently" ( last winter). I quess the lines are close enough with previous A-body.
Id say that one-piece lines are impossible to install with body-in-frame, but cutting it on front of rear-control arms, you can do it with body-in-frame on two pieces. Just my experience.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 04:16 PM

Here are my struggles with the evap line - getting up and over the frame at the rear is impossible without the body being off the frame, just like the fuel line. I ended up cutting out a small section and replacing it with hose to get over this issue, but I'm just catching gas vapors. I'd always rather have solid line for the fuel itself. I had more than one person send me a PM indicating they had removed the body mount bolts on the passenger side to split the body and frame and allow the line to be installed as a single piece, but that sounded like far more than I was willing to do for this....

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...0-cutlass.html
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:15 PM

To be clear, when they refer to two piece lines, they aren't offering a split near the back to work around the tight body/frame issue, they are describing the long piece with many bends, combined with the short piece going through the front frame that the rubber fuel hose attaches on it's way to the fuel pump.
Old February 12th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the help, I will have to consider lifting the body of the frame, probably should change all the body mount bushing at the same time.