Pulling Heads on 350

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Pulling Heads on 350

Hey everyone. Recently I started pouring white smoke from my exhaust, so now its time for an engine rebuild assuming that I have a bad exhaust valve. Im gonna take the easy way out and just remove my heads from the block and take them to get rebuilt. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions on taking them out and reinstalling them? Any help would be much appreciated. I mean it sounds pretty straight forward, but thats how it always is until you actually start taking it apart.. Thanks everyone.
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Hey! I am in the middle of this exact scenario. I had white smoke, and a light milky residue under the oil filler cap. I have the engine apart, and the heads at the shop. a basic clean, stress test/manaflux & check was going to be ~$200, I added a valve job for about 150-175 more. I brought then to the machinist Monday, and should have them back the beginning of next week.

Check my post on removing carbon buildup, I've chronicled a lot of it there. If you have A/C and can remove the heater box it will help a lot. Removing the inner fender wells is also almost a necessity. Your back will thank you. Bag & tag everything, and keep all valvetrain components in their own separate bags. I have 16 of them marked from 1L and 1R to 8L and 8R. The manifold and heads are HEAVY, not a real big deal, but something to be ready for. I am having decent luck cleaning the carbon off the cylinders and surfaces with Trans fluid.

One thing I was nervous about was getting the heads back on, as they are mounted at a slant (obviously, lol) Not to worry, they have little metal studs that stick out at the tops. I have not put them back on yet, so I don't know how much of a help they will be, but I was still relieved to know they are there.

I have also posted info on this in my "Finally! My 71 cutlass supreme build" thread under major builds and projects.

My engine has over 200,000 miles on it, so it should make a good test mule. I have lots of pics I have not posted as well, so if you need pics of anything let me know.
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by erke88
Hey everyone. Recently I started pouring white smoke from my exhaust, so now its time for an engine rebuild assuming that I have a bad exhaust valve. Im gonna take the easy way out and just remove my heads from the block and take them to get rebuilt. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions on taking them out and reinstalling them? Any help would be much appreciated. I mean it sounds pretty straight forward, but thats how it always is until you actually start taking it apart.. Thanks everyone.
What year and model are you working on?
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Good point speedrocket

My project is now on hold for a bit, cracked heads.
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM

71 cutlass supreme with a 350