Pulling a 330

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Pulling a 330

I'm about to pull out my 330,and transmission.So I was wondering where is the best place to connect the chains to the engine so the transmission wont throw it off balance?
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I just take out a few intake bolts, and bolt them back in once through the chain.
You may have to play around a little with different ones as you scoot it out.
if you don't have the front clip off, I'd unbolt the trans when you can and hoist it out 2nd
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Yea your better off pulling the engine first, and then the transmission. because in order to get the transmission out, it needs to be at a pretty steep angle. your best of pulling the engine. then sliding the transmission into the engine bay, and pulling it out. or if you can, just drop it out from underneath. im not familiar with the car itself. but i have done my share of engine swaps, pulls, etc. LOL Good luck to you. i hope you dont mind getting your hands dirty
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Wink

I usually use the front right & back left head bolt.
But then I used a neet little piece at my buddies house.

and 'engine leveler'

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/751338/10002/-1/10785

I've always removed them together...but I AM lazy.
remove the radiator and have a strong friend there o help swing things
out of the way.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
Yea your better off pulling the engine first, and then the transmission. because in order to get the transmission out, it needs to be at a pretty steep angle. your best of pulling the engine. then sliding the transmission into the engine bay, and pulling it out. or if you can, just drop it out from underneath. im not familiar with the car itself. but i have done my share of engine swaps, pulls, etc. LOL Good luck to you. i hope you dont mind getting your hands dirty
Well I have a 2 ton engine hoist that can go up pretty far so It should go at a pretty steep angle. So I'm going to try to pull them together, and if it doesn't work then I will separate the engine and transmission.

Thanks for the help
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM

If you insist on pulling the trans with the motor, you will need to use a engine leveler as Rallye mentioned. I would NOT use the intake manifold bolts as suggested to attach any chains . Also there is nothing wrong with pulling both as one unit , you just need to do it properley or success may be difficult..
Old March 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by tonycpe
If you insist on pulling the trans with the motor, you will need to use a engine leveler as Rallye mentioned. I would NOT use the intake manifold bolts as suggested to attach any chains . Also there is nothing wrong with pulling both as one unit , you just need to do it properley or success may be difficult..
I have the leveler already so it should be pretty easy, but where would you suggest to attach chains
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Not to discourage anyone from asking questions, but you quys DO realize that you've spent more time talking about this than it takes to just do it...

Bottom line is that a 60s vintage cast iron motor is not real sensitive to where you pick it up. Just be sure to use Grade 8 bolts and do not use an excessively long bolt that bends.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM

chains

Originally Posted by Wasted
I have the leveler already so it should be pretty easy, but where would you suggest to attach chains
At the ends of the heads.