Belt tightening procedure and method

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Chris

Belt tightening procedure and method

Hi! I am installing my three belts on my 1972 350 AC cutlass. I saw somewhere on here that the power steering belt should be installed and tightened first, then the alternator belt. I also saw Joe Padavano's instructions on the three bolts/nuts that are involved with tightening the power steering pump bracket. Any special instructions for the alternator belt and the AC belt?
Thanks so much!
Chris
Old August 30th, 2018, 07:37 AM

I have a special screwdriver that I use for the belts. It's a 18" long flat blade called "Old Stabby".
The PS is the most annoying just because it's cramped. Don't count on using the holes in the pulley (if you even have them) to get to the bolts - just use a wrench. Tighten the upper bolt next to the leverage point first then do the others. That upper bolt is the main one that holds the tension.

Really lean into the alternator. Sometimes the lower bracket doesn't play well and it takes some arguing to get everything to line up and not rub.
Remember that new belts will stretch, so you'll probably need to retighten after a while. They'll start squealing to let you know when.

I am assuming that you know where to shove the implement of choice for leverage. My dad just used the tire iron but I consider that uncouth.
Old August 30th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oddball
My dad just used the tire iron but I consider that uncouth.
Your Dad must have known my Dad. I learned the same thing only a "real" tire iron - not just a jack handle. Hey, it works and doesn't damage anything either.
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:01 AM
Chris

Thank you oddball and Allan! Oddball you mention that you assume I know where to insert the implement of choice. Can you help me with that location? Maybe a photo? It's been 22 years since I've changed a belt on this car and I could use a refresher. Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:08 AM

I have trouble tightening the A/C compressor. I can't see where to place the tire iron to get sufficient force to fully tighten. Yes, a picture would help.
Old August 31st, 2018, 06:34 AM

Assuming stock brackets!

PS pump: Look down between the pulley and the front bracket. There's a little tab sticking forward that's close to the PS pump snout. Stick an implement of choice vertically between the tab and the snout and pull toward the fender. Now stick the wrench in there and tighten the bolt. It's cozy in there.

Alt: Depends on your brackets. I like the upper bracket that has a ~1/2" hole aligned with the body of the alternator. Stick implement through hole, get it lined up well with the alternator (so you don't scratch the fancy finish!) and push. Most other bracket sets are similar, either there's a hole in the bracket or a spot to leverage against.

A/C: Put implement vertically between the body of the compressor and the bracket. Make sure to have the rear compressor bolt in to keep things lined up. Note that you're pushing on the body - not on the snout or clutch. Push.

It's not uncommon to need to leave a bolt or three out while getting the belts onto the pulley. Don't be surprised if you need a different length belt than originally specified.
Old September 1st, 2018, 01:47 PM
Chris

Thanks oddball! I'll try that this weekend and report back. Enjoy your weekend!
chris