Alternator Belt blues

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Alternator Belt blues

Guys I have a 72 cutlass and I had to replace alternator and alternator belts. Well I had to cut the old one off to remove it. NoW I can't not for the life of me get the new one installed(belt that is)..It looks like a bolt of the power pump may be in the way(i THINK)...Any suggestions....Help I can't wait to get my baby on the road
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GothamCity
Any suggestions....Help I can't wait to get my baby on the road
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM

thanks for the quick reply. My car has the 350 in it. it does have a/c. I dont have my camera as I am at work. As I mentioned to remove the old belt I had to cut it in half. I have installed the alternator and the I just can not get the belt over the pulley next to the fan. I belive the belt in front of the altenator belt is the one for a/c and power steering
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GothamCity
thanks for the quick reply. My car has the 350 in it. it does have a/c. I dont have my camera as I am at work. As I mentioned to remove the old belt I had to cut it in half. I have installed the alternator and the I just can not get the belt over the pulley next to the fan. I belive the belt in front of the altenator belt is the one for a/c and power steering
There are three belts, the A/C compressor outermost, the PS pump next, and the alternator (which also goes around the PS pump) closest to the block. I assume you've removed all three belts to get the new alternator belt on. Is the problem that you can't loosen the PS pump or the alternator, or both?

The PS pump is always tricky to the uninitiated. There are two bolts behind the pulley, one above the shaft and one below. You need to use an open end wrench slipped between the pulley and the bracket to loosen them. There is also a nut on the bottom backside of the pump that must also be loosened. This will allow you to rotate the PS pump towards the water pump. Loosely place all three belts around their respective pulleys.

Note that the middle belt (the outer one on the two-groove PS pulley) MUST be adjusted first, before the alternator belt. To tension the PS belt, look down between the pulley and the bracket. You'll see a tab sticking out of the bracket next to the snout of the pump. Use a large screwdriver to pry between this tab and the snout of the pump casting to tension the belt while you tighten the two bolts and the nut. DO NOT pry on the thin sheet metal reservoir housing - it will deform and possibly leak.

The alternator has a bolt and nut through the top bracket and a bolt through the slot in the bottom of the bracket. Again, you need to loosen both. The lower bolt may be obscured by the PS pump. With the first PS belt tensioned, you can now tension the innermost belt using the alternator adjustment. Finally, tension the A/C belt if you haven't done it already.
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Don't break the timing tab. As it is a very useful piece of tin.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM

thanks guy for the good advice. Ended up taking it to the shop. I also found out that my left motor mount was shot, so had both replaced and the alternator belt as well..