Wont stay running! 73 cutlass supreme- help

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Wont stay running! 73 cutlass supreme- help

Well yet again another problem, the car starts fine and fires right up but cant stay running it just starts chugging and sputtering until it stalls withing about 30 seconds. I have a bunch of new parts to i just got the carb rebuilt new dizzy,coil,wires,plugs,battery also the gen light comes on while its sputtering
this car is really bugging me and any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Last edited by roblen73cutlass; October 8th, 2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:10 PM

EGR staying open at idle?
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:20 PM

EGR is capped off
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:20 PM

sounds like a fuel delivery issue
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Administrator

What kind of distributor, points or electronic? Did it run right before you started working on it? The gen light may be due to the low rpm while it's sputtering.
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:27 PM

yeah it really feels like lack of fuel, could it be the fuel pump?
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:32 PM

The distributor is just a point factory replacement. it ran until the carb needed a rebuild and the rebuild deff fixed what it was doing before. Yeah it always comes on at low rpm but i can get it to about 800-900 rpm and the gen light is still on...
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Did you make sure your spark plugs are in the right order, set dwell and timing? If the battery cranks the engine fast then there is enough voltage to run the car off the battery. You can run a jumper wire from the pos battery post to the pos coil post and see if it runs better. You must still start with the key and to turn off remove the jumper then turn the key off.
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM

i had it running after the distributor install and timed it by feel and it ran up and down my street fine until the carb took a dump but would not setting the dwell cause this much of a problem? i feel like its lack of fuel but fuel is getting into the carb with no problem
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:49 PM

the battery is 2 days old so its got plenty of juice. what is this bypassing if i jump it like this?
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Yes the dwell being way off will make it run badly. Can you set it to .016 with a feeler gauge?
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Actually i remember setting it to exactly .016 with a feeler wile installing the new distributor but that was like last December
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by roblen73cutlass
the battery is 2 days old so its got plenty of juice. what is this bypassing if i jump it like this?
The jumper bypasses everything and assures battery power to the coil. This issue started with the carb and then you had it rebuilt? I'd start from scratch and check your tune first.
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:35 PM

Ok and yeah the carb needed a rebuild and was gummed up so bad but even then there was no problem with starting or misfire it would just start up and then die, now it starts runs ok for about 10 seconds then starts sputtering and chugging almost like its being starved and the gen light is on the whole time im just out of ideas and totally lost lol
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:40 PM

when it's dying, spray carb cleaner down the carb and see if that fuel lets it continue. If so, it's a fuel issue.

Ck dwell
it should be at 30 degrees

I usually say "to find the current trouble, look at the last thing "fixed" " but in your case that's a long list.

determine if it is spark or fuel with basic troubleshooting
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM

lol i agree there is just to much going on. well i do see gas coming into the throat when manually giving the car gas but while the engine is off of course. last year it had no spark at all until i did the distributor then it ran fine until the carb **** the bed but the carb is solid now. anyone want some gas money to come over and help me fix this haha
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Administrator

You can do this, first check your plugs and wires. I've seen bad ones new out of the box. Then if you recently replaced wires, double check your firing order. Check your point gap, and the voltage at the coil pos is around 9v when running. If you have the old condenser and points put them back in, again they can be bad out of the box. You can remove the belt and the power wire from the alternator and see if that's loading the circuit, it will run off the battery. I highly doubt that's the problem, but you can isolate that issue.

See if any of this helps.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Once the engine starts can you rev it up? If it will run above a high idle but coughs and dies at idle, it could be a bad vacuum leak. This is a common problem with a stuck PCV valve. To check and eliminate the PCV, pull it out of the valve cover and shake it. If it rattles clearly it is probably good, if it rattles with a dull sound or doesn't rattle at all it could be bad. Cap it off and see if the engine runs that way.
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

We're sure it's not flooding out, due to a sticky needle or float in the rebuilt carb, right?

- Eric
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:29 PM

I read in your post you changed the distributor then the carb dumped.. Coincidently sometimes it does happen, however did you lock down the distributor after timing it.
Cause if it moved it may cough and do all kinds crazy noises..also check your ground wires. If you removed any wires... Pull a plug and ground the the plug to the engine, get someone to crank the vehicle and check for a blue spark.
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Once the engine starts can you rev it up? If it will run above a high idle but coughs and dies at idle, it could be a bad vacuum leak. This is a common problem with a stuck PCV valve. To check and eliminate the PCV, pull it out of the valve cover and shake it. If it rattles clearly it is probably good, if it rattles with a dull sound or doesn't rattle at all it could be bad. Cap it off and see if the engine runs that way.
funny you said that NO i cannot rev it up once it starts acting up but i will check out the pcv
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
We're sure it's not flooding out, due to a sticky needle or float in the rebuilt carb, right?

- Eric
Deff not flooding out it was a quality rebuild
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by seansolds
I read in your post you changed the distributor then the carb dumped.. Coincidently sometimes it does happen, however did you lock down the distributor after timing it.
Cause if it moved it may cough and do all kinds crazy noises..also check your ground wires. If you removed any wires... Pull a plug and ground the the plug to the engine, get someone to crank the vehicle and check for a blue spark.
Yes i always made sure it was locked down after i was done timing. i didnt really touch any wires so they should be the way they were. yeah i might as well make sure i got nice blue spark
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can do this, first check your plugs and wires. I've seen bad ones new out of the box. Then if you recently replaced wires, double check your firing order. Check your point gap, and the voltage at the coil pos is around 9v when running. If you have the old condenser and points put them back in, again they can be bad out of the box. You can remove the belt and the power wire from the alternator and see if that's loading the circuit, it will run off the battery. I highly doubt that's the problem, but you can isolate that issue.

See if any of this helps.
All good points there, i will for sure check all that out. could it be a dead short in the alternator not sure if that would make it do this
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Administrator

A dead short in the alternator produces smoke, burnt wires, and popped fuses. I doubt that would be the case. Not being there to see what your seeing also makes it hard to diagnose your issue.
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Ok yeah its deff not a dead short from what you described.
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Oldsdruid

1) Make sure your choke flap is opening, both by the thermostat and by the vacuum pull-off.

2) Check the carb's slow idle speed setting. This car probably has an idle stop solenoid. Make sure it's adjusted to open the throttle plates at normal curb idle. Its plunger should extend when the ignition switch is ON.

3) Also turn your idle mixture screws in until seated, then back out about 1-1/2 turns. That should get idle mixture in range to run.

4) Tap the power valve to make sure it's not sticking open. You can do this thru a hole in the carb air horn.

Just because it's a quality rebuild doesn't mean everything got adjusted right.

You might want to make sure your coil is good. A bad one will cause symptoms like you describe.
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
1) Make sure your choke flap is opening, both by the thermostat and by the vacuum pull-off.

2) Check the carb's slow idle speed setting. This car probably has an idle stop solenoid. Make sure it's adjusted to open the throttle plates at normal curb idle. Its plunger should extend when the ignition switch is ON.

3) Also turn your idle mixture screws in until seated, then back out about 1-1/2 turns. That should get idle mixture in range to run.

4) Tap the power valve to make sure it's not sticking open. You can do this thru a hole in the carb air horn.

Just because it's a quality rebuild doesn't mean everything got adjusted right.

You might want to make sure your coil is good. A bad one will cause symptoms like you describe.
the coil is really new but you know what you cant trust anyone and the last thing i did was send the carb out soo maybe i should be looking into the work of the rebuild...the guy who rebuilt it said he had to replace the metering rods....
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:34 PM

Ok so its been months and the car is still in the garage not up and running like i want it to be, the same crap is going on where the car starts up fine but then needs your foot on the gas and the engine starts to shake really bad so i just shut it off within like 15 seconds of running because it doesn't look right, and i even replaced the fuel pump and rubber lines out of impulse. I'm at the point where i will pay someone near central nj to help find the issue.
i was considering selling the car when it ran smooth again due to having to many cars. Any help appreciated thanks
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wish you'd posted this a day or two earlier - I was in the Central NJ area for the past week.

Maybe a video / audio recording would help us here.

- Eric
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:22 AM

You said it'snot a fuel issue becauseyou can see fuel squirting? Do you mean you see it without the engine running when you give it gas? I am not convinced it's not a fuel issue. Get back to basics. If it starts and idles fine at first then gets rough, spray starter fluid into it when it gets rough and see what that does.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:23 AM

Damn that would have been great if if you were in nj when i posted this!! what part of nj where you in?

yeah i think it need to make a video so you guys can see

yes i can see fuel squirting into the carb while not running not sure when its running but that's a good idea about the starting fluid because i still feel like its a fuel problem considering i replaced every tune up part twice.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM
Administrator

If you have tried all the suggestions previously posted, then yes I suggest getting some help.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I drove the length of 78 and the southern half of 287 several times...

- Eric
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:37 AM

Yeah i deff feel the need for help that's why i'm here, and i am for sure not new with working on cars and that's why this problem annoys me so much
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:39 AM

Wow that's a lot of driving lol
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Where in central Jersey are you, there are a few members in that area.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:25 AM

I'm in clarksburg its by six flags great adventure the theme park lol yes a theme park.
for anyone in the area
also if someone does swing by you can get first licks at buying the car if i really do want to sell it, all original 73 cutlass supreme that iv'e owned since 1988!
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Check the Classic Oldsmobile map link is below. Try and pm members in your area.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:55 AM

Cool i didn't know i could do that. After work today i'm going to try and spray some staring fluid down the throat and see what it does.

Quick Reply: Wont stay running! 73 cutlass supreme- help