Valve stem seal question

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:25 PM

Valve stem seal question

My 403 has the occasional puff of smoke on startup so i want to replace the valve stem seams. I had the valve covers off and i could see the umbrella seals still in place on the intake valves but couldnt see anything on the exhaust valves. Are there supposed to be any seals on the exhaust side? I also noticed the i could pretty easily spin the pushrods on the valves that were closed and im wondering if thats normal of if they are too loose. Also, what is the torque spec on the rockers so i know what to retighten them too? Not sure if this makes a diff or not but the rockers are roller rockers. BTW the heads are 4A. I uploaded a pic, not sure if it is useful or not, the angle and lighting were bad. Sorry about all the questions, this is my first time doing this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0151.jpg (63.8 KB, 114 views)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM

Yes the pushrods should spin easily on valves that are closed. Most wear occurs on the rockers. If there is no tapping noise while the engine is running all is well. I am not sure about the 403 but earlier Olds engines had valve stem seals on all valve stems. Stock seals are referred to as umbrella type because they just act like a shield rather than a positive valve seal. I see your rockers are not stock. Stock Olds rockers are not adjustable. If the rockers are not tapping they are fine as far as adjustment. With hydraulic lifters you just need to tighten them so they are not making noise.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; October 2nd, 2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: More info
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

But the problem is that when he goes to change the seals all that will need to be readjusted. You will need to follow the recommendations of the rocker arm manufacturer for the adjustments.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
same but different

The stock exhaust valve seals or replacements are usually black in color. That may be why you didn't see them, they blend in compared to the intake valve seals which are off-white in color. As stated, they are simply umbrella style, and could of been all the way at the top of the valve /spring. Again, making it difficult to see them. They don't stay in one place like positive valve seals, which are machined into the guide.

You don't have roller rockers.

You have roller tipped rockers. Big Difference.

The fact you could spin the pushrods on the closed valves is not a concern. I don't see that those rockers are adjustable at all.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. Btw the valve tem seals on the intake valves are orange. Can i just order any replacement, or does the color mean something?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
same but different

How much smoke are we talking here?

You might have excessive valve guide clearance.

If it runs good let er rip.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:05 PM

Not alot of smoke on startup but definitely noticeable out of the right tailpipe. Also the engine is relatively low mileage (25000) so i dont think its worn valve guides. It was rebuilt about 10 yrs ago but sat for the last few years before i bought it. There is quite a bit of oil inside the right pipe as well. Ive had several ppl tell me it could be valve stem seals so im just going off that right now.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
Administrator

The color probably does not matter, my fel-pro's were tan and there was no difference whether intake or exhaust.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM

The 72 350 had umbrella seals on intake and exhaust, so I would think yours (and all) would too.

The color would be manufacturer dependent. The felpro set i got was ivory/taupe and were all the same, no special one for exhaust.
No seals on the exhaust would explain some oil burning.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It could be someone forgot them. I have had the center exhaust seals melted and chunks missing but still there.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:30 PM

Anybody try the Fel-Pro ones made for Fords? They sit over the guide, positive seal. Ford and Olds have the same guide diameter, at least they did on the #4 and #7 heads I did recently. Try Rock Auto B45904. I'll look through my parts and mic out the ID of the seal so you can see if they fit. Only issue is, they're $1.29/seal. Or try Summit and look for Viton Seals.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM

I do not like the Ford seals that stay stationary. I found I have to replace them every 8-10 years as the friction from the valve movement wears the seals out. Also they get hard and brittle through age, heat, and oil, and some even deform. Oil consumption gradually increasing is the symptom.
Every time i replace them the old ones are a loose fit over the valve stems. I have always used Felpros and followed the directions exactly. They are snug when they go on...

If these are the same diameters as Olds valves, I might try putting Olds umbrella seals on the Ford for longevity!