Tune up/points

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Tune up/points

Fixing to a tune up on the car, its running but it runs rough and at mid rpm and getting kinda heavy in the throttle it starts cutting out. Has a new sending unit, fuel pump, and a rebuilt 2 brl. The question is, instead of just putting a stock set of points in it with cap, rotor, wires and plugs and resetting the timing. I dont want to spend a lot of money on upgrading to an HEI or anything like that since the big block will hopefully go in within the next year or two, what are cheap upgradable options for it to be a reliable daily driver since the cobra will hopefully be gone soon.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hangin' out...

If you want to stick to points, just get a good set like these:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...158&rsview=sku

You should still be able to get AC Delco points, too. If you want to make sure you are solid, get a points adjuster and keep it in a toolbox. It's basically a long screwdriver with a flexible shaft on the end and an Allen Head that fits in the adjuster through the window on the dist. cap.

I would also suggest getting good wires (ac-delco, moroso, accel, etc) and a cap and rotor kit with brass contacts. You can also get a hotter coil, but in my experience, that seems to make the points' life a bit shorter.

Your ignition should be solid after that, at least as reliable as it was from the factory. I basically did all of that on a `72 Pontiac and it really woke it up.

Honestly, an HEI conversion is neither expensive nor hard and I think the distributor will work with both the BBO and the SBO. I would be happy to tell you about my experience with that.

Good luck.

Last edited by henryk8398; May 18th, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Honestly, an HEI conversion is neither expensive nor hard and I think the distributor will work with both the BBO and the SBO. I would be happy to tell you about my experience with that.

Good luck.
X2. Unless you have manifold clearance issues (the large body HEI won't clear some early aftermarket intake manifolds), a used factory HEI distributor can be had for $15-20 at swap meets. Be careful that you get one with a vacuum advance, however. The ones with out vac advance (as used on the 307) only work with the computer. And yes, Olds distributors interchange between the BBO and SBO.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the input!!!
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:13 AM
Tha' Big Dog

If you want to toss the points altogether get this kit. I did a few years ago and haven't looked back since. No more worries.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Pertronix/Pert...46414/10002/-1
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:02 AM

I also used the petronix on another project that I had and it worked great for the 2 years I drove the car, the guy I sold it to is still driving it with no problems. I say well worth the money.