Time for a tune up...

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM

Question Time for a tune up...

I'm doing a minor tuen up on my car for the first time. I'm replace the spark plug wires(as some are worn), plugs, air filter, and I have alread had to replace the ignition module. Is there any brand of plug and wire that is recommended over another? I was going to use the Accel Super Stock wires, K&N filter. I was also told the Rotella was an excellent choice for oil in these cars? Any suggestions as I head to the parts store. Guy there is pushing all Autolite prods... Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by csouth
I'm doing a minor tuen up on my car for the first time. I'm replace the spark plug wires(as some are worn), plugs, air filter, and I have alread had to replace the ignition module. Is there any brand of plug and wire that is recommended over another? I was going to use the Accel Super Stock wires, K&N filter. I was also told the Rotella was an excellent choice for oil in these cars? Any suggestions as I head to the parts store. Guy there is pushing all Autolite prods... Thanks
Most guys behind a parts store counter couldn't service a lawn mower without messing it up. Not necessarily the best source of information. If the car is a stock daily driver stick with what the owners manual or shop manual says and you won't go wrong. In most cases the engine electrical is best serviced by exactly what that manual says or you might find a drop in performance or even a shorter life expectancy than desired of all those new parts you just bought.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Oldsdruid

I've actually had good luck using Autolite plugs in Olds (and Chevrolet and Pontiac) engines, though the correct AC plug is still my first choice. Champion are an OK plug too; their poor reputation is undeserved IMHO. I'd stay away from Bosch- seen 'em do weird things in Oldsmobiles. I actually know a few guys who run Motorcraft plugs in GM engines, and they seem to run fine.

Now, if you want ne plus ultra, NGK is as good as you'll ever get for almost any engine. I'm convinced they are the finest spark plug made.

Reminds me- the wagon is due for plugs. The ones we installed when we swapped engines have about 45k on them now. Still starts and idles good and haven't seen any drop in gas mileage, but it's time.

Plug wires are subjective. Autolite wires aren't the best or worst in the world. I never liked those gaudy yellow Accel wires, and it's always been hard to find a set tailored to properly fit an Oldsmobile without looking like a rat's nest underhood. I've taken to buying NOS Delco-Packard sets on ebay as they fit right, look right, and perform right. If you don't want to go thru that, NAPA Belden spark plug wires have always been good stuff. I'd stay away from X-Act or other cheap house brands unless you like repairing the terminal ends every time you pull a wire off the plug or distributor cap.

Air filter- also subjective. The biggest advantage to a K&N is that you can clean it and reuse it to infinity. You can also buy a whole lotta AC Delco or Purolator filters for what a K&N costs. I've never seen enough flow figures that convinced me K&N flow any better vs cost. What kind of air filter are you running? If you have the stock aircleaner housing, you're limited to whatever fits in there, usually a 14" diameter by x3" tall element. On a 14" open element, try going to a 4" or 5" tall filter (truck filter) within limits of hood clearance.

Rotella (or other diesel-spec oil with an API Spark ignition rating, and most current ones do) will work fine in your Olds engine.

Just remember- firing order 18436572, distributor rotation is counter clockwise. Mark the #1 plug tower on the distributor cap, or replace them ONE AT A TIME.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 23rd, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Geezer

Interesting you mentioned using Motorcraft plugs and their seemingly performing okay in a GM engine. As you can tell from my original response I recommended using the GM parts as defined in the owner's manual. I pretty much stick to that theory based upon a many years experience of finding deviation away from the manual on a sixties and up Ford product can be a bad mistake. Particularly true with spark plugs. Over nearly 50 years of doing tune-ups I have yet to find plugs other than Motorcraft perform worth a flip in a Ford ignition system. Champion plugs won't survive more than 5,000 miles in a Ford ignition system before the procelain begins breaking down. AC plugs a bit better, Autolite plugs, which at one time was Ford owned, are as horrible as Champion plugs.

I hate resistance plug wires and the absolutely best pug wires I have ever put on any car are Ford Motorsports 9mm copper core wires. Unbelievable the improvement in engine performance, which can result in an surprising 10-15 percent improvement in fuel consumption with some engines. I have actually experienced greater than that with the Ford 5.0L HO roller cam engine in my Lincoln Mark VII. Totally screwed the AM side of the radio with interference, but who cares?

Note: Using copper core wires can create enough Electro Magnetic Interference to be a problem with on board computer systems on some cars.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM

I just switched out the plugs and wires in my '85 Toronado 307. I believe they were the original sets...plugs and wires were both AC Delco and the plugs were quite rusty. Anyhow, I replaced the wires with BWD Select custom fit set...they were a great match, had no problems with reach. For plugs I bought the Bosch Platinum Plus, they're "basic" plug I guess...it wasn't the no gap ones.

MAN I thought my car ran great before but now it runs awesome! Where I notice the most is in acceleration, it's much smoother and quicker...more responsive. It scared me at first when I started her up after getting the work done, it wouldn't turn over. I tried 3 times! I pumped the pedal one more time and one more turn and she started right up. Must have been the first connection slump or something....but she runs like a champ now.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Well I did my tune up ran my car, but now I have bigger fish to fry. Looks like my block or head may be cracked... Thanks for all your input