Second time owner... First time member.

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM

Second time owner... First time member.

My first car was a 1983 Cutlass Supreme, 3.8 V6. Loved it! Had it for many years and it was stolen. I am picking up a 1984 Cutlass Supreme in a couple weeks and I am SOOOO very excited. It needs a bit of work, so I've joined here.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

I have some questions about vacuum hose routing, hopefully I won't need anything else... but where would a good area to post my questions?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Captain of my ship

Smile Welcome

Glad to see a new Olds fan out there. The newbie forum is the only place you will be able to post for the first couple of days and have at least 5 posts. This was put in place to try to eliminate SPAM to the site. You can post a reply to anything going on in the newbie forum for the time being but you can always ask questions. I am relatively new myself and have a 69-98 convertible
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM

Well, I guess I will ask right here. I'm hopeing someone will know where to get a decent detailed diagram of ALL the vacuum lines. The one I am picking up, its missing a couple, there are bolts capping off others... I have NO clue what this girl was doing.

It's an 84. 231 3.8 V6 2BBL Carb. Power Steering and Air Conditioning. If you need any more detail let me know.

Everything is stock, except the transmission. Car runs well, no hesitation, smooth idle, and no service engine light. Brakes are properly responcive as well. Throttle responce is good.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM

Welcome to Classic Olds, truerollers!

Unfortunately, I do not know of a whole vacuum line diagram, not even in my factory service manual. (It would make too much sense i guess... )
There is a tiny diagram on the fan shroud decal but it does not show all. Often the label disappears anyway.

However, my manual has about 20 separate systems and has diagrams for those. If you plan on keeping this car awhile and do work on it, A factory service manual will be your best tool.

Best thing to do now is be very descriptive on what hoses are plugged, where they go, and the hose size.
Pictures showing the hoses' end destinations can help. I can then look them up and hopefully find where they go.
My book is for my 86, but 84 is very similar.

Since it is running as good as you say, I would be hesitent to change anything! For that reason, documenting your before and after changes will be helpful in case your car was tuned for the "messed up hoses" and you need to undo your corrections.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71

Since it is running as good as you say, I would be hesitent to change anything! For that reason, documenting your before and after changes will be helpful in case your car was tuned for the "messed up hoses" and you need to undo your corrections.
I would agree with this. Unless something isnt working right or you have emissions failures I'd be inclined to not mess with it too much.

However where they have the screws plugging off vaccum ports (Im assuming a screw stuck into a piece of cut off hose) do yourself a favor and buy a small pack of vaccum caps and plug them off correctly. Its just cleaner and less prone to a failure down the road for very little investment.
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:57 PM

i had a gbody for many years, an 83. and getting it stolen was a constant thing that went threw my head. if i were you i would by a Lokit (i think its spelled like that) column lock.. do not pay less for any other brand. the issue with those years are that its common knowledge how to steal them. with that column lock lazy criminals will walk away or make a mess, but your car will remain....park nose in, always, with your wheels turned in all the way,, so they wont tow truck your car..
Old February 28th, 2017, 01:00 PM

google the vacuum, buy the book..you need you a good repair manual.. get it online used for the cheap