Q: Are the first and/or second generation Toro's equipped with front wheel Posi-Track

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:58 PM

Q: Are the first and/or second generation Toro's equipped with front wheel Posi-Track

Even though my 68 Toronado is not allowed to play in the ice and snow, I have always wondered if these cars were equipped with Posi-Track (Limited-Slip Differential). I know Posi-Track was a big deal in the 1960's and 1970's on GM rear wheel drive vehicles.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:54 PM

I really don't know, but I had a '79 Toro back in the late '80's/early 90's, and I punched it once while in my driveway, and left parallel black marks. I also parked it down a slight downgrade to the side of my brothers driveway in about 8" of snow, when it didn't want to "ease" out in reverse, I gave it some good throttle and threw two roostertails of snow and dirt away from the front of the car.
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
Even though my 68 Toronado is not allowed to play in the ice and snow, I have always wondered if these cars were equipped with Posi-Track (Limited-Slip Differential). I know Posi-Track was a big deal in the 1960's and 1970's on GM rear wheel drive vehicles.
Good Question. I have often wonders the same. Hopefully someone will be able to shead some light on this subject.My 71 came originally with a 3.07 gear but I had mine replaced with the 3.23 gear which came on the 66 and 67 yr. models.
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofdif.htm

If you look at this page you'll see that no Toronado came with a anti-spin diff. At least it's not listed in 66-67. The chart doesn't seem to list it for 68 and up. I know my 70 didn't have anti-spin. I'm leaning toward no on the anti-spin for any Toronado for any year although I can't verify that. If I remember correctly there is a company that makes a anti-spin for that carrier. They specialize in Motorhomes.
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
I agree, especially the way Toronados will rust. But, there is nothing more fun than doing donuts in the snow in reverse gear with a Toronado.. It's a little weird to only see where you've been and not where you are going however.
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:50 AM

http://www.appliedgmc.com/level.itml/icOid/482

Found the company that has the anti-spin units.
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by twintracks
I agree, especially the way Toronados will rust. But, there is nothing more fun than doing donuts in the snow in reverse gear with a Toronado.. It's a little weird to only see where you've been and not where you are going however.
LoL!!! Never really thought about it like that
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
http://www.appliedgmc.com/level.itml/icOid/482

Found the company that has the anti-spin units.
Very interesting. Differently could see the advantages of for a motor-home. Talk about jaw dropping prices though...

Last edited by 68RocketAction; July 10th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM

I think the reason for no anti slip is because of the front wheel drive aspect of the Toro. On ice and trying to go around a banked corner with anti slip would push you straight. Much like a jeep with lockers in the front, probably the lawyers got involved on a corporate basis .....Or thats my thought...Tedd
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I think the reason for no anti slip is because of the front wheel drive aspect of the Toro. On ice and trying to go around a banked corner with anti slip would push you straight. Much like a jeep with lockers in the front, probably the lawyers got involved on a corporate basis .....Or thats my thought...Tedd
Makes complete sense
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
that should be true for a 100% locked differential...right?

a lot of cars in europe with FWD run through corners with some kind of an anti-spin system...like my 2014 VW GTI PP

dont wanna see a motorhome pushing straight in corners
Old July 13th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

The traditional clutch-type anti-spin carriers used in RWD GM cars rely on overcoming friction in the clutch pack and will not work with a FWD vehicle. The only style that is usable are either the Torsen style (which is what is used in many newer FWD cars) or an electronic system that disengages for steering.
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:32 PM

so that LSD from appliedgmc.com is a torsen style diff ?