Some Loss on low end?

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Question Some Loss on low end?

Since dropping in the 350 rocket into the Delta, I've have a few problems that I fixed today.

I had an exhaust leak, pretty big one too. The cap for the crossover was about ready to fall off. Lost one bolt and the other was on by a thread (Problem now fixed)

I messed up putting the intake manifold on the first time. Leaking oil out the back of the manifold, not too much, but since the Alero's down due to the LIMG leak, the Delta has become the daily driver, and the oil was comming out pretty good. (I changed the oil after replacing the manifold )This problem is now fixed.

My mech wanted to switch to HEI from the points. We did that today. I regapped all the plugs to .045 from .030. We timed it right, and set the idle at 700 in drive, but it seems to have a lot missing now.

Flooring it from a light, I could smoke the tires for quite a few feet, but now I barely get a chirp. When it hits 1500 to 1800 RPM, it gets fast. If I floor it on the highway at cruising speed, it takes a long time to go faster, the old set-up didn't do this. Also the RPM speed is a lot lower now. At 3000 RPMs with 3.42 and 25.6 inch tall tires I should be cruising at 70 MPH, bu tonight I passed one of those "your Speed" clocks and I was only going 56 at 3000 RPMs

Did I do something wrong?

It's a 1968 Olds 350 Rocket motor with a 1968 400 Transmission. It has a Flowmaster 2.5" "X" pipe duals, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, Edelbrock American Thunder 650 CFM carb, and a "Be Cool" raditor w/ electric fan

Any help is appreacted
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
........ We timed it right ........
Not if you used the original setting.

Your original dist had more advance, and it came on quickly. HEI has less advance, and it is applied at a slower rate. By 2000 RPM, timing (and, therefore, power) is about the same.

For your application, it's the only difference between them. Maintenance issues would be a different topic.

For you HEI, 20° initial is a good starting point. In your case, optimum could be, as much as + or - 3°.

........ regapped all the plugs to .045 from .030 ........
Original gap was specified for the original engine, and has nothing to do with the dist.

There is no reason to change it.

Norm
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:26 AM

When installing HEI in place of points ignition you must feed the distributor 12 volts. Points systems had a resistor that dropped voltage to distributor during run mode. You cannot simply use the same hot wire from the points system to power the HEI....this is a common mistake and something you may want to check......also make sure no plug wires got mixed up.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I just call my mech and he said we timed it at 8*, so I guess I'll have to stop by and advance the timing a bit more