Running wire for HEI

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM

That's where a hidden switch comes in handy. Some use a hidden toggle switch, some wire the coil through the dimmer switch on the floor, some ground the coil through the cigar lighter (pushed in kills ignition), and some folks have installed a magnetic reed switch behind a dash panel and have to place a magnet over it to be able to start the engine. Lots of possibilities.
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Why would you need a relay? How much power does hei draw? I have 10 gauge fused wire spliced into pink ignition wire under the dash.

The relay can be activated by the original resistor wire, so no new wiring needs to pass through the firewall. It also provides full battery voltage to the HEI.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I doubt most car thieves today could even FIND a coil on an older car, much less know how to hot wire one. Heck, today a manual trans is an effective anti-theft device...

It's not the amateur that is going to steal your car.

Originally Posted by Fun71
That's where a hidden switch comes in handy. Some use a hidden toggle switch, some wire the coil through the dimmer switch on the floor, some ground the coil through the cigar lighter (pushed in kills ignition), and some folks have installed a magnetic reed switch behind a dash panel and have to place a magnet over it to be able to start the engine. Lots of possibilities.

It doesn't matter how many possibilities you throw at the ignition system. All it takes is 2 seconds with a clip lead from the battery to the coil + and 1 more tapped into the purple wire to the starter if you chose that route to disable it also. For the earlier models like mine, it's ready to roll. For the later ones, pop the ignition lock out of the column and it's gone. Seriously, it takes less than 5 minutes.

All those things do is keep the honest guy honest. The things I've found that work are inline fuel shutoffs (they won't get far, it will stall), removing the rotor (I've yet to find a thief that carried one around), and the only way to slow them down electrically is if the battery is in the trunk.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Most people who really want your car will bring a flatbed, so none of that really matters in the long run.

- Eric
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Very true Eric, but that's a different set of challenges.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have a kill switch but I still leave my car parked with the windows down 95 percent of the time where ever I park it . I don't care if its at walmart or my driveway I figure if its goning to get stolen its gonna be stolen. My theory is I have insurance so F*** it its worth more stolen anyway lol.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I can tell you no matter what you put in the car, kill switch, alarms, if they want they will get it. Buddy of mine works as a repo man. He can break in to most cars silently and without causing any damage in 2-3 minutes. So to steal my Cutlass it would take him 30 seconds. My neighbors 69 Camaro SS was stollen out of his garage while he was sleeping. Never heard a sound. If they want they will get it.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
All those things do is keep the honest guy honest.
So if all it takes is a $2 switch and some time, why not do it? A LOT of car thefts are crimes of opportunity, and those are the ones we can do something about.

Last edited by Fun71; May 13th, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
So if all it takes is a $2 switch and some time, why not do it?
X2. Most car thieves want to be quick - in and gone in 30 - 45 sec. Anything that slows them down will make them go on to the next car. They are NOT going to take time to troubleshoot your ignition system.

If the thieves want your car specifically, then it doesn't matter what you do, they will just use a flatbed. The kill switch eliminates 80-90% of the thieves, so it definitely improves the odds.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Haha, good idea. Not sure my back could take all that bending though.
Whenever I plan on doing lots of work under the dash, four bolts and the seat comes out.
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
Whenever I plan on doing lots of work under the dash, four bolts and the seat comes out.
Bench seat as well? I have the CSM but isn't there a manual for the body?

Red, what movie is the clip from?
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Beer Connoisseur

If I am not mistaken that's Demolition Man.
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Why would you need a relay? How much power does hei draw? I have 10 gauge fused wire spliced into pink ignition wire under the dash.
The idea of the relay is isolate the HEI from the rest of the electrical system, there is a better chance of maintaining full voltage to the ignition that way. It has nothing to do with what the HEI draw's but what does everything else draw combined.
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:29 PM

I went thru this about a year ago it seems difficult with so many opinions on the subject you can get really confused. When it's said and done it is really a very easy conversion! There are a million thoughts on this subject and mine may or may not be the best way to do it but it worked for me, the wiring is super clean (I'm a stickler for clean smooth running wires) and it has been trouble free for quite some time. You could follow my steps or add something in that the others suggested(like a relay system) it all comes down to your choice and if the car runs correctly! Keep in mind I am by no means an oldsmobile pro but love these cars and always love learning along the way! Check out the original link, it may help you out from a newbie perspective. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2-cutlass.html
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I honestly think a relay for this is a overkill. 10 or 12 gauge fused soldered to the pink wire is nice, clean, simple and does the job.
Old May 16th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Administrator

There is no right way to do this, however I've seen plenty of wrong ways. A simple splice into the pink wire, running a wire from the ign terminal in the fuse box, or a relay, etc.., all will work fine. We all make suggestions as to what worked for us.
Old May 16th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

10 or 12 gauge fused soldered to the pink wire ...
Just a note: While it is good to follow your best judgement, the factory did NOT fuse either the points nor the HEI system.
We could debate their exact reasons, but the last one I did, I did not fuse.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:53 AM

Using Ohm's law I(amps)=V/R.
The primary resistance on an HEI coil is .5-.6 ohms.

I = 12v/.05

12v/.05 = 24

So there is a potential 24 amp current draw.
That is why GM used a 12gu wire in the primary circuit.
The HEi has a potential secondary output of 40K volts!
Joe