Roller rocker mount

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Roller rocker mount

I ran across this in a file I downloaded from Wild About Cars.
Never saw this type of rocker stud mounting before.

Interesting. Surprised it isn’t more popular considering there
is no machining of the heads required.
Anyone know who made these?
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
I ran across this in a file I downloaded from Wild About Cars.
Never saw this type of rocker stud mounting before.

Interesting. Surprised it isn’t more popular considering there
is no machining of the heads required.
Anyone know who made these?
Actually, that mounting is often used to convert engines with shaft-mount rockers to stud mount. The 215 is one such application. As far as Olds motors are concerned, you can get pedestal-mount roller rockers that bolt onto an Olds from Harland Sharp. You can also adapt small block Ford pedestal mount roller rockers for a lot less money.
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, that mounting is often used to convert engines with shaft-mount rockers to stud mount. The 215 is one such application. As far as Olds motors are concerned, you can get pedestal-mount roller rockers that bolt onto an Olds from Harland Sharp. You can also adapt small block Ford pedestal mount roller rockers for a lot less money.

Thanks Joe, I figured you would have some info on this.
I like it because it allows using the stronger 7/16" studs
without drilling and re-tapping the rocker mounting holes.
Any vendors selling them? I could probably CNC mill a
pair fairly quickly.
Old March 11th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
Thanks Joe, I figured you would have some info on this.
I like it because it allows using the stronger 7/16" studs
without drilling and re-tapping the rocker mounting holes.
Any vendors selling them? I could probably CNC mill a
pair fairly quickly.
Don't kid yourself that this is "better" just because it has larger diameter studs. Those studs still just screw into a relatively thin and flexible bar. If that bar is aluminum, it has only about 1/3 the stiffness of steel or cast iron. That means that your larger diameter studs will be walking all over the place, especially if you have stiffer than stock valve springs and/or higher lift. Without running the numbers, my gut says that the pedestal mount SBF rockers will be no worse and likely better than this setup.
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Joe: Can you share the SMF rocker part number you would pick for a SBO build?

Ryan
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Ryan 1969 Chevelle SS396
Joe: Can you share the SMF rocker part number you would pick for a SBO build?

Ryan
There are a number of vendors for these rockers, from Proform Chinesium parts to actual Ford Racing parts. Google ford pedestal mount rockers and you'll get a wide variety. You can get stock 1.6 ratio or 1.7 ratio, adjustable or non-adjustable. Summit sells most of them.

Note the rectangular base of the pedestal. That fits into a channel that sits on the head, as shown below. This prevents the rocker from swinging side-to-side, which avoids the need to machine for guide plates. Not all aftermarket kits come with the channels, so you might need to buy those separately.

Old March 11th, 2016, 04:21 PM

Great stuff thanks Joe!!!

Ryan

Any great W-31 engine build info I need it!!!!
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If my memory is correct the pedstal mount full rollers have to be shimmed to be adjusted. Imo its easier to use the studs with the guide plates. Even is it is the "weaker" 5/16 base studs. Im running those "weaker" studs with ford prw full roller rocker arms . Much easier to set lash . The pads do not have to be milled so to speak but checking for proper geometry will have to be of utmost importance as should be anyway from the getgo.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 11th, 2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:23 AM

[QUOTE=coppercutlass;902581]If my memory is correct the pedstal mount full rollers have to be shimmed to be adjusted. Imo its easier to use the studs with the guide plates. Even is it is the "weaker" 5/16 base studs. Im running those "weaker" studs with ford prw full roller rocker arms . Much easier to set lash . The pads do not have to be milled so to speak but checking for proper geometry will have to be of utmost importance as should be anyway from the get go.
/QUOTE]

I think I've found the correct p/n for these, Proform 66879, guide channel is Ford p/n M-6588-A50, hopefully those are correct.

I'm looking to use these Ford roller rockers. You said they have to be shimmed, is that because of using the stock pushrods or do you need to length check and order new pushrods?
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If you have to shim them then you are talking pedestal mount. Im using ford stud mounted rockers . But the pedestal ones are ok they just involve a little more work in my opinion to properly set them up.

You shim them to set the lifter preload . Checking for proper pushrod lenght is also a no brainer considering its a totally different set up and you will want to make sure the contact pattern on the valve tip is correct.
Old June 14th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
If you have to shim them then you are talking pedestal mount. Im using ford stud mounted rockers . But the pedestal ones are ok they just involve a little more work in my opinion to properly set them up.

You shim them to set the lifter preload . Checking for proper pushrod lenght is also a no brainer considering its a totally different set up and you will want to make sure the contact pattern on the valve tip is correct.
Thanks for all the info.........I can proceed now to make my decision.