Removing A.I.R pump/ 1967 Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:49 PM

Removing A.I.R pump/ 1967 Cutlass?

Hello all, I have purchased a 1967 Cutlass that was built in Fremont..I am wanting remove all the A.I.R pump and complete system from the Cutlass..What are the best methods of removal? Thanks in advance for any info and I will be adding pics soon
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM

I know you can remove the pump, tubes, vacuum lines, etc. and put plugs into the intake manifold and heads. I'm trying to find an old thread, but I'm striking out. I believe Joe P once posted that the hot air tubes into the heads are pipe threads, so you can easily get plugs for these. If you have the original carburetor I don't know if you'll need to change any of the internal parts to keep it balanced. It seems like you might, but I don't know enough about it.

If you can remove everything carefully you might be able to sell the parts to someone wanting to restore a California Emissions car from 1966-67. As you might guess many people pulled this stuff off and threw it away. I've got a 1967 442 that was missing most of the parts, but since I live close to California I've been able to find parts cars with the items I needed. Also one more detail, these cars had the tall oil fill tube just like was used on the L69 option. You can leave that on the car or if you have a short one to replace it with you could sell that too, there's pretty good demand if its not dented up. John
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info..I plan on removing it carefully..The carb has been replaced by the po with a Edelbrock that I will be replacing with a Rochester..Would you happen to remember what size the fittings were to plug the heads and isn't it a good idea to use brass fittings? Been awhile for me also lol..

Last edited by angelorayhurst; March 18th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Sorry, I don't remember the size. Yes, the po for my car used brass plugs and they appeared to have worked fine.

John
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Ok, sounds good..I remember doing this a few times some time ago and remembered the brass fittings (not sure why brass)..I'm sure I an just carry 1 of the air tubes to the local Ace hardware and they can tell the size..Again thanks for the info and I will be contacting you I'm sure for parts for sale..I believe I have seen you on v8buick at 1 time..Thanks again

Bill

Last edited by angelorayhurst; March 18th, 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Don't know if it's the same size as that on the 307 but I removed mine.

They are 1/4 inch brass plugs I picked up at Lowes in the plumbing dept. I had to pick up 9 because I lost one

The AIR tube broke and hot exhaust was directed right at my main wiring hardness. Luckly it only melted the factory loom
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:42 AM

The bubes into the exhaust ports just pushed in, iirc. The threads are close to 1/4" NPT but are a tube thread, straight, not tapered like pipe threads. The factory had special plugs for those holes with a straight part beyond the threads and a nose to fit the end of the hole.
Old March 19th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I believe Joe P once posted that the hot air tubes into the heads are pipe threads, so you can easily get plugs for these.
No, he didn't. As Joe D has pointed out, these are straight thread with inverted flare. Dorman sells correct steel plugs for these. Mondello sells special plugs that both seal the hole and plug the hole into the port to allow for porting. Many people use brass NPT plugs because the brass deforms, but I wouldn't do that.

And as noted, do NOT trash these parts. They were only used on 1966-67 CA cars and are prized by restorers. The accessory brackets are unique to this A.I.R. configuration also.
Old March 19th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, he didn't. As Joe D has pointed out, these are straight thread with inverted flare. Dorman sells correct steel plugs for these. Mondello sells special plugs that both seal the hole and plug the hole into the port to allow for porting. Many people use brass NPT plugs because the brass deforms, but I wouldn't do that.

And as noted, do NOT trash these parts. They were only used on 1966-67 CA cars and are prized by restorers. The accessory brackets are unique to this A.I.R. configuration also.
Sorry, my mistake Joe. I couldn't find the thread I was thinking of to verify what was said, but thanks for the correction. I may need to create a new thread, but I always thought these were 66-67 only but I've got a set of #5 heads that have A.I.R. fittings in them. I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble/expense of retrofitting them, but the number implies 1968-69. John
Old March 20th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Ok, great info...Thanks and I will be sure to be careful when removing..