removing oil pump drive shaft from distributor

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:01 AM

removing oil pump drive shaft from distributor

So this is bit of a newbie question, but I've never had this happen to me before. I picked up a new project, a 64 super 88 with a motorhome 455, and the distributor looks like its never been taken out. The oil pump shaft came out with it (and luckily didn't fall in the pan) but its pretty well stuck to the dizzy shaft. Any special way to remove it or does it just need some brute force love? Thanks a lot!
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:07 AM

solvent
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Install the shaft in a vise and gently tap on the gear with a brass drift (or something similar) until the shaft comes out.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Olds Fever

In addition to removing the shaft from the distributor, you might also want to consider the issue of the lock ring which should have held the shaft in place from coming out with the distributor.... The lock ring is most likely now in the bottom of the oil pan, hopefully stuck to a magnetic oil drain plug... Also, if the shaft is not reinstalled with a new lock ring from the underside of the engine with the oil pump removed, the shaft will continue to be pulled out of the oil pump anytime the distributor is removed, and could possibly slip down into the oil pan.... Just something to think about when you reinstall the distributor........
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:44 AM

I never use a lock ring because of this kind of issue. Being slow and careful when removing the dizzy takes care of that. A new dizzy gear and an aftermarket pump shaft also help a lot!
Mine get stuck due to the corners wearing down and the shaft wedging itself in the gear. Try locking the shaft in a vize and using big pliers to rotate the gear back and forth before hitting it with a drift.
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

The oil pump drive shaft sticking in the distributor gear is a common problem. Brute force is the only method of removal. The retainer ring falls to the bottom of the pan, where it stays until you drop the pan eventually. Don't lose any sleep over it - I've had many fall into the pan and none were ever heard from again.

The retainer ring is simply an assembly aid. It's sole purpose is to hold the oil pump drive shaft in place when the block is upside down on an engine stand without the distributor in place. Other than that, it serves no purpose.
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM

More good advice Joe. Thanks! I'm rebuilding a '455 as we speak and after reading the initial post I might have been really serious about the retainer ring. You've cleared that up for many of us. THanks Again!
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The oil pump drive shaft sticking in the distributor gear is a common problem. Brute force is the only method of removal. The retainer ring falls to the bottom of the pan, where it stays until you drop the pan eventually. Don't lose any sleep over it - I've had many fall into the pan and none were ever heard from again.

The retainer ring is simply an assembly aid. It's sole purpose is to hold the oil pump drive shaft in place when the block is upside down on an engine stand without the distributor in place. Other than that, it serves no purpose.
I agree with everything Joe has said with the exception of the retainer ring having a sole purpose..... Whether it is written in black and white or Not the ring does have a secondary function.... and that is to prevent the oil pump drive shaft from coming out of the pump when the distributor is removed..... IMO it is much easier to R&R a distributor when you do not have to deal with the oil pump drive shaft.... Whether or not it was an issue of carelessness, I have heard of individuals dropping the shaft into the pan while trying to insert it into the pump before reinstalling the distributor... Not trying to create a controversy, just stating an opinion (and we all know about opinions) and what could possibly happen...
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I agree with everything Joe has said with the exception of the retainer ring having a sole purpose..... Whether it is written in black and white or Not the ring does have a secondary function.... and that is to prevent the oil pump drive shaft from coming out of the pump when the distributor is removed.....
If that were true, we wouldn't be having this discussion...

I assume you mean that the ring is intended to overcome the force of the shaft being held in the distributor gear due to friction and/or suction, not due to the wedging, but I've never had a problem with that even without the ring in place. I'm willing to bet that the ring is there only as an assembly aid.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's sole purpose is to hold the oil pump drive shaft in place when the block is upside down on an engine stand without the distributor in place. Other than that, it serves no purpose.
Joe, if the sole purpose is as you stated, or believe, then it would appear that you have changed your position from a post you made on July 2009.... Let's refresh a post of yours on GBODYFORUM.COM

by joe_padavano on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Just to clarify, the oil pump drive shaft should have a pressed-on retainer part-way up. This is just a thin washer with spring fingers that hold it on the shaft. The purpose of this retainer is to keep the shaft in the block when you pull the distributor out - unfortunately the shaft usually wedges in the distributor and the retainer is lost in the oil pan. If the shaft you get does have the retainer, it needs to be installed from the bottom of the block.

Also, an old trick to get the pump to prime quickly is to remove the bottom cover of the pump and pack it with Vaseline before installing. The Vaseline will dissolve in the oil and helps the pump to prime almost instantly.
__________________________________________________ _______

Joe we can at least agree to disagree, BUT at one point in time it does appear that you agreed with me....

Here is the link to the entire post just in case you don't recall it.......

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?...=12036&start=0

Last edited by CRUZN 66; January 18th, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM

I dropped a small washer when my distributor was out and before I knew that I had to pull the oil pan for a different project. I slid a magnet on the underside of the oil pan and was able to fish it out the oil drain plug.

To give my 2 cents on the oil drive shaft, some solvent and a little love will get it out.