Ready to rebuild my rocket 350

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM

@mdmechanic, your comments are exactly to my point. I acknowledged that I don't know how to put together a combination that is going to work, that is why I started this thread to ask for suggestions. Yes I do know what a torque converter is, but know I didn't know that you needed to change it if your going to build your engine. I thought this site was for people who wanted to learn and ask questions with out being ridiculed. And you guys are right I have little knowledge of these things which I freely admit, which again is why I am asking for help with it. I use google a lot for everything but getting explanations from guys on here is a lot easier to understand. I used this site a lot earlier in the year and had a pleasant experience. I had no intentions of making anybody mad or insulting anyone which is why I deleted my original post. Sorry but I was insulted by the difference between automatic and manually tranny comment. After I cooled down I realized I overreacted. I could just take my car to a shop and say here build this power train up for me, but that is not why I got the car. I want to do things myself and learn. I wasn't asking for an in depth explanation just combinations that work. Sorry if my lack of knowledge makes you mad, or get under your skin. Thats it for me, thanks to everyone for the help

Last edited by Finn5033; November 1st, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:00 PM

It seems to me and maybe to Eric that you are trying to learn everything in one thread. Post #14 of this thread I posted 2 links, one to a comprehensive parts list with #s and cost. Second was a complete build for my high 13 second wagon including part #s. Did you look at either? Because they answer questions that you keep asking.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM

@captjim, Yes I did read all of the posts. As I am sure you know guys all have different ideas and suggestions so I was trying to take everybody's suggestions and use that to make a decision on what to do. As I was reading them I realized to get what I was looking for I needed to do the tranny and rear end work as well. I have learned a lot just from the info you guys have given in this thread and is exactly why I came here. I am sorry if it seems like I am all over the place or keep asking the same questions. I really appreciate it
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Finn5033
Sorry if my lack of knowledge makes you mad, or get under your skin.
I wasn't mad. I was just honestly trying to help and lay it all out in one place.

So much for being helpful...

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM

@captjim, Yes I did read all of the posts. As I am sure you know guys all have different ideas and suggestions so I was trying to take everybody's suggestions and use that to make a decision on what to do.
This is a repice for disaster, IMO. Again, I will re-state my advice. Copy an existing build or work with a single builder/vendor. "Too many chefs ruin the stew". You will end up confused and frustrated.
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM

@mdmechanic, I apoligize, I honestly took your post the wrong way. I have read through it quite a few times now and realize that it is a lot of good info. I concentrated on the one area and took offense. I am sorry, you were trying to help me and I acted like a jerk

@captjim I understand what you are saying. I didn't mean I wanted to take a bunch of ideas and mix and match them. I just meant I wanted to see what guys were using for certain applications. Meaning if I didn't want to mess with the tranny and rear end what would be good to do with the engine. If I want something more powerfull what should I go with for the whole set-up etc... I didn't mean to confuse or make it seem like I wasn't listening I was just taking it all in. I have a guy I plan on working with, I am going to print off your builds and see what he thinks about them.
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:58 PM

Finn5033, research & asking questions is one of the best ways to learn. From what I've read on this forum site & from a couple of "gear heads" in my area I've decided to start with putting in the CompCam 270H camshaft into my 350 & go from there. If you are going to be looking for a service manual for your build a good place to look is www.wildaboutcarsonline.com . They have the factory service manuals on line & registration is free.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM

@rcrac3r, thanks for the tip I will check that out I was in the process of trying to find a manual. I read your post too, everybody has different ideas. Some guys it seems like to build from the rear forward, others from the engine back. They both make sense to me. For me its going to come down to money. I can't afford to do it all at once. I looked at the pictures on your thread gets me pumped to get going on mine. Although the one of the empty engine bay reminds me of how much work I have ahead of me. Thats really cool that your wife is interested in it, mine just whines about how bored she is when I'm in the garage working

Last edited by Finn5033; November 1st, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

@mdmechanic, I apoligize, I honestly took your post the wrong way.
'S alright. It can be hard to get the tone of a piece of writing on the interwebs.

I'm sorry that I was so unclear in my writing that it could have been interpreted that way.

- Eric
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:11 AM

Ok guys, I want to thank everyone for the advice. I have a lot to start with and research on thanks to your suggestions. I will start a new thread when I begin my build and take pictures (I have seen on many threads that you guys like lots of pictures, I do too).

@mdmechanic, again I am sorry for the mis-understanding I am glad you accepted my apology. I look forward to more help as I go through this process.