questions about my 330

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM

questions about my 330

First off, all the oil was drained out and the antifreeze is mostly out (there's still some in there) do I have to turn the motor every so often or do I not bother?It is in 2 trash bags on an engine stand. The one bag covers the entire thing, the other is not opened but just wraped around the the "holder" covering the flywheel

I was just going over what I'm going to replace and since I'm going to be putting a 6 or 7 quart pan on it, in addition to replacing the pick-up, should I just replace the pump too? and how is the pump on the block? the pump driveshaft? I'm not rebuilding it right now, just a freshen up, so I don't really want to touch the caps or bearings

The 330 balancer says "TDC needs to be remarked" how do you do this? Can I just get a 330 balancer from Advanced or Auto Zone?

Thank you
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Is the balancer really in need of remarking? I have had 4 330 cranks and all of them had TDC right on the money. Brand new 350 balancers also lined up correctly on them. Hmmmmmm I dunno?
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
First off, all the oil was drained out and the antifreeze is mostly out (there's still some in there) do I have to turn the motor every so often or do I not bother?It is in 2 trash bags on an engine stand. The one bag covers the entire thing, the other is not opened but just wraped around the the "holder" covering the flywheel

I was just going over what I'm going to replace and since I'm going to be putting a 6 or 7 quart pan on it, in addition to replacing the pick-up, should I just replace the pump too? and how is the pump on the block? the pump driveshaft? I'm not rebuilding it right now, just a freshen up, so I don't really want to touch the caps or bearings

The 330 balancer says "TDC needs to be remarked" how do you do this? Can I just get a 330 balancer from Advanced or Auto Zone?

Thank you
If your first question relates to storage, pull the spark plugs, spray WD-40 or equivalent liberally in each cylinder, and rotate the motor by hand several times to distribute the oil before reinstalling the plugs. Then leave it alone. Depending on the length of storage time, you may also want to pull the valve covers and loosen all the rocker arm bolts to keep the valves closed.

Checking the balancer is easy if you have a piston stop. You can make one from an old spark plug. Break out the insulator and weld a piece of rod to the remaing metal shell. The rod should stick out about an inch or so (you may need to adjust this later). Screw the tool into the no. 1 plug hole and gently rotate the motor by hand until the piston contacts the tool. Stop immediately and mark the balancer at the point of the 0 degree mark on the tab. Rotate the motor in the opposite direction and again stop and mark the balancer. The actual zero mark should be exactly halfway between the two marks you made.
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Loosen the rocker arms to close the valves.

Will everything go back into place when I retighten the rocker arms?
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
Loosen the rocker arms to close the valves.

Will everything go back into place when I retighten the rocker arms?
Yes. Since Olds rockers are not adjustable, just retighten.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM

OK I'll do that.

How much WD-40 do I put in the cyl chambers? and how do you get it out when it's time? Do I have to turn the motor still every 6 months?