The RIGHT water pump????

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM

The RIGHT water pump????

Guys....HELP. Just bought a 70 Supreme Convertible. It's got lots of little "weird" things to fix on it, mostly emblem stuff. Someone who did no research restored it, so it is great in some ways, but they just seem to have "stuck" whatever they had on it...I'm correcting that. My real problem is that the car has a longer shafted water pump on the 350, and the pulleys are "off" line. Can anyone recommend WHICH pump to get. I have read every thread on here remotely discussing water pumps, but I need a more focused answer. You guys have seen it all between you, How would you proceed? I am looking to do this swap ASAP so as not to do any further damage to belts, etc, etc. 70 350 rocket w/air... non OAI

Thanks Guys,

Mark
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I just went through this, what length water pump do you have? You may find that the parts stores don't have the correct pump lengths. if your doing it yourself, make sure you have the old pump with you so you can compare the lengths before you actually buy it.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by REDROCKER-S
Guys....HELP. Just bought a 70 Supreme Convertible. It's got lots of little "weird" things to fix on it, mostly emblem stuff. Someone who did no research restored it, so it is great in some ways, but they just seem to have "stuck" whatever they had on it...I'm correcting that. My real problem is that the car has a longer shafted water pump on the 350, and the pulleys are "off" line. Can anyone recommend WHICH pump to get. I have read every thread on here remotely discussing water pumps, but I need a more focused answer. You guys have seen it all between you, How would you proceed? I am looking to do this swap ASAP so as not to do any further damage to belts, etc, etc. 70 350 rocket w/air... non OAI

Thanks Guys,

Mark
Your 70 with A/C should use the longest Olds pump - just under 6" from gasket flange to pulley flange. You may just have the wrong pulleys. More importantly, which belt is off? If it's the PS pump belt, verify that the correct spacers are in place between the pump bracket and the block at the bottom front cover bolt and at the side of the block under the exhaust manifold.
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Good answers, but what about this solution

Guys, I have found a 69-70 water pump that is 5.567 inches in the Fusick catalog. Joe, thanks for the info, and can you tell me if the shorter pump will work, and be OK. It seems that this shorter pump should solve all my issues, or at least be so close I won't worry about it. Any reason NOT to? dangers? concerns?

Thanks again for the feedback and help!!!

Mark
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM

That pump will fit. They list it for non-ac application but that is what you are looking for. I went through this crap a couple of weeks ago.
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by REDROCKER-S
Guys, I have found a 69-70 water pump that is 5.567 inches in the Fusick catalog. Joe, thanks for the info, and can you tell me if the shorter pump will work, and be OK. It seems that this shorter pump should solve all my issues, or at least be so close I won't worry about it. Any reason NOT to? dangers? concerns?

Thanks again for the feedback and help!!!

Mark
70' and prior water pump inlets are 2" dia., 71' and later are 1.75" dia. and needs a hose reducer from NAPA to work with the lower radiator hose. I did not know this prior to replacing mine and ordered what I thought was the proper pump size. It is the proper length for my 70' Supreme w/A/C. The 2" castings are little harder to find, especially a rebuilt one. A1 Cardone are good rebuilds, #58-362 I used. I'm saving the 2" replacement that came with the car to have a correct size for proper restore down the road. It will have to be rebuild, I believe there are shops out there that do this also. Auto Parts Giant had the stuff cheap, excellent service. http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/Sh...Clutch&mode=PA

Last edited by Wireman134; July 12th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.