Q-Jet fuel line

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Q-Jet fuel line

Okay, I am trying to figure out the correct set up for the incoming fuel line to the carburetor. The previous owner put in a in line fuel filter but routed the rubber hose (transmission fluid hose) around and around due to excess. I pulled off the hose from the fitting and discovered the metal tubing was twisted and crushed.

Long story short: What/how much metal tubing/fuel line do I need coming out of the brass fitting on the Q-Jet?
Does the line have a bend in it (bent towards the fuel pump area)? Or is it straight?
Can I pick this part up at NAPA (or similar)? Or do I need to make my own?

The more I tear into the car, the more questions I have...
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM

You can get the metal line from Napa. Get the right length and size and bend the way you need it. Same with any metal line on the car.
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM

I would not recommend the NAPA line idea. The NAPA item will most likely need to be cut requiring a double flaring tool and will most likely need a line bending tool so the line doesn't get crimped when being bent to fit. The item you need is available pre-bent and made to fit your engine. Do yourself a favor and order the right fuel line. Call Year One or any of the Oldsmobile parts suppliers---it will probably be in stock in stainless or OEM material for about $15.00.
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
You can get the metal line from Napa. Get the right length and size and bend the way you need it. Same with any metal line on the car.
I guess I was not sure if there was a specific bend and length required. Based on what I took apart neither did the original owner.

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I would not recommend the NAPA line idea. The NAPA item will most likely need to be cut requiring a double flaring tool and will most likely need a line bending tool so the line doesn't get crimped when being bent to fit. The item you need is available pre-bent and made to fit your engine. Do yourself a favor and order the right fuel line. Call Year One or any of the Oldsmobile parts suppliers---it will probably be in stock in stainless or OEM material for about $15.00.
I will see what the suppliers have and go from there. Thank you.