Kinda bummed out

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Kinda bummed out

Well I just found out that the 350 in my Delta is seeping oil thru the head gaskets.

It doesn't seem to be leaking too much oil but it was recommoned by my mech that I don't race the car again until I get the motor rebuilt, but I can still drive it no problem.

I have the 395558 block with 5 heads. Personally I think it's worht rebuilding that block as opposed to swapping in a different block, becuase the newer block might not be a 395558 and the 455 will need new manis, cowl hood, etc.

Mondello, I know they aren't too well liked on here) has a 350 diesal block for sale. It's a brand new block with the pistons and crank already installed. It's $1500 plus shipping. This can be used as an unleaded motor with all my current parts. Is that correct?

Anyway, the rebuild is getting expensive already and I'm no where near doing it now. I only found 1/2 the parts and with the block and head work I'm guessimating over $5K

Any suggestions on where to go for the parts other than Mondello, Summit, or Jegs?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM

Forgot about Kanters.

Just requested a catalog
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Kanters is a good source for older parts. However, if you are going to rebuild an engine I suggest PAW, Summit, or Speedway for internal parts. Especially for a 350.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Who is PAW?

Nevermind, just looked it up, not a bad site

Just trying to figure out what I'm going to spend

Last edited by Redog; July 24th, 2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Can I ask what you are planning and what your performance goals are? $5,000 ought to be plenty to build you a nice little engine.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM

BTW, why do you want to rebuild the engine? Just because it has a blown head gasket doesn't mean it needs a rebuild. You could always take the heads off and have new seats and guides installed. While the heads are at the machine shop have them milled and trued.

You shouldn't need to do a complete rebuild unless your bottom end is worn, or your block is damaged.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM

My mech doesn't want to pull off the heads since the motor was never opened up.

The head gaskets are not blown, they are just seeping oil. Anybody have any experiecne with this?
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Just the facts...

forget about mondello-unless it's actually joe who is running the show.
the company bearing his name in cali. is worthless. that $1500 will be $4000 before you know it, but it still won't be worth it.

as far as your mechanic not wanting to pull the heads-find a new mechanic.
heads leaking oil? do you mean valve covers? i've never heard of the heads leaking oil. valve covers are not THAT big of a deal to do, refer to the first sentence in this paragraph.

bill
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM

No the valve covers are leaking, but I'm replacing them today if I can get in gear.

Like I said. I'm going to replacce the VC gaskets and take it to the self service car wash and get the powerwasher in there
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I agree with Bill. If your mechanic is to lazy to machine heads the right way then you need to find a new one.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM

It's not that he's lazy, he's quite the oppsite as a matter of fact.

He doesn't want to do them becuase he feels that once you pull off the heads, that's when the bottom end will go. When he rebuilt my tranny and replaced the oil pan gasket, he said the bearings are showing wear. As he put it he doesn't want to "open a can of worms" I too have been down this road a long time ago

I changed the VC gaskets today. No wonder they were leaking oil. The gasket was in place where the bolts are, but down off the edge between bolts. The other side I must have torn during installing

I also got the car to the self service car wash and cleaned off what I could of the bottom end, plus the oil that was on the bottom of the one exhaust manifold from the VCG's It didn't stall, or sputter at all and I drove away with no problems. I did my best to keep it away from any elertrical concetions