Help me diagnose new clattering sound in 215 cid engine.

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM

Help me diagnose new clattering sound in 215 cid engine.

The first video was taken 4 days ago when everything was normal, working correctly. The second was taken today and you all can hear the awful clattering/clacking noise in the engine. Yesterday when I started the engine, it made this sound for exactly 2 seconds but then the noise went away. But later that day, the awful racket wouldn't go away, and now I have this sound whenever I run the engine (which isn't much now that I fear something terrible is wrong with it). The oil level is normal. What is this frightful sound, how/why did it start, and more importantly, how can I fix it?! I'm just a bit heart-broken...

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...F85%20Cutlass/
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
same but different

Mike, thats an awsome slick looking car if I ever saw one.

Thinking like an optimist, that sounds like a valve train issue. A stuck lifter perhaps, maybe worn rocker pivots. Maybe worst case, a bent pushrod. I'm hoping that can be diagnosed after removing the rocker covers, and be obvious to see. I'm hoping that isn't in the bottom end. It sure sounds like its in the top end.

Thats where I would start. Sweet car, good luck.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM

I'm not so optimistic...I think you have every right to be heartbroken, that sounds like a rod knock to me my friend. If it truly is a rod knock the only way to fix it is to pull the engine.

You can use a stethoscope to narrow down the location of the noise, just be careful of your eardrums. Check each valve cover, and then check the oil pan. Wherever the noise is the loudest and most pronounced is where your problem is. If it's in the pan it is indeed a rod knocking. Don already mentioned the probable valve train issues.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by don71
Mike, thats an awsome slick looking car if I ever saw one.

Thinking like an optimist, that sounds like a valve train issue. A stuck lifter perhaps, maybe worn rocker pivots. Maybe worst case, a bent pushrod. I'm hoping that can be diagnosed after removing the rocker covers, and be obvious to see. I'm hoping that isn't in the bottom end. It sure sounds like its in the top end.

Thats where I would start. Sweet car, good luck.
X2 it sounds like the top end to me. Beautiful car
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:30 AM

Thank you so much for offering your advice, gentlemen! And also for the compliments on the Cutlass. I too think it's really nice looking and want to keep it in perfect shape and improve it. So I was stunned to hear that noise just start up. I hope I can make it go away without too much trouble. That's being optimistic!

So I thought at first that it is some kind of valve train problem due to the location the sound is emanating from (top of the engine) and the characteristics of the noise. It's not a low clunking sound like I'd expect from a crankshaft or rod or main bearing problem (like I had in my first Monte over 20 years ago after a poor engine rebuild). It doesn't seem to be coming from below, either, but rather from the top side. I hope it can be fixed with an oil change; I'll let y'all know for sure what the results are. The oil looks clean but I don't know how old it is nor what type it is. If the top end is being starved of oil, perhaps a lighter oil or even high-grade synthetic (Mobil 1) would get in there and lubricate it properly and break free whatever is stuck, before I even take off the valve cover and valve train?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Isn't this same discussion going on in another thread at the same time?

edit: This thread.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; August 23rd, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM

Yes, sir, it is! I didn't want to run afoul of forum rules by trying to post specific questions in my introductory/greeting thread, so I started this thread here. Also, I thought others might appreciate it here in the engine section.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:31 AM

If I change the oil to fully synthetic to see if that action alone will fix the problem, which viscosity should I use: 5W-40 or 5W-50? I bought some Castrol in the first grade and Mobil 1 in the second. Which would you recommend putting in at first?
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM

I have the best possible news in regard to the 63's engine noise! After draining the old oil (which still looked fairly good, but was obviously old and didn't have the proper lubrication qualities) and putting in 4 quarts of the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 pure synthetic oil, I started her up and let the engine run for about 15 minutes. After a few minutes, I noticed a perceivable decrease in the clatter of the valve train. After the engine warmed up, I started giving it higher RPMs, then dropping it down to idle again. I did this repeatedly and after a few times of higher RPM (3000-3500?) revving, the noise started to decrease. After about 10 minutes of this, the noise had completely dissipated to nothing. It's running like a champ now!!! No trace of that valve/lifter clatter. I'm ecstatic. I hope it's fixed for good. Thanks for all the advice.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM

That's great !
I love it when the simple fix works !

Fingers crossed that the Syntec freed up the stuck lifter (or whatever it was) for good...
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Thank you! I'm hoping for the best.