headers - dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM

headers - dual exhaust

hi,
i have a 1978 olds delta 88 coupe with a 403 gas engine and 1972 7a 350cylinderheads.
i need headers for the car, but for the delta 88 i dont find a set.
all the headers i find are for cutless (Hooker, Dynomax, Hedman).
know somebody - gives a header-set for my car or fit the cutless 350/403 engine headers on my car without any work on bodyparts?

thanks and regards from germany
michael
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Well, the 1971 and up B/C bodies are front steer (meaning the pitman arm is in front of the centerlink). You should be able to get a set of standard headers to fit on your Delta 88. I know the Cutlass headers fit on the 71-76 B/C bodies. In 77 the B/C body were downsized but the steering didn't change. Regardless any header you purchase you will have to "modify" by denting or bending. IMHO, it isn't worth it to purchase a $200 set of headers and then have to "modify" it to get it to fit. I will wait and purchase the Doug's Headers later that are more like $700 a set (if they don't fit without modification I will return them).
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Well, the 1971 and up B/C bodies are front steer (meaning the pitman arm is in front of the centerlink). You should be able to get a set of standard headers to fit on your Delta 88. I know the Cutlass headers fit on the 71-76 B/C bodies. In 77 the B/C body were downsized but the steering didn't change. Regardless any header you purchase you will have to "modify" by denting or bending. IMHO, it isn't worth it to purchase a $200 set of headers and then have to "modify" it to get it to fit. I will wait and purchase the Doug's Headers later that are more like $700 a set (if they don't fit without modification I will return them).
The problem with the 77-90 B/C body cars is the diagonal braces between the crossmember and the side rails at the back of the engine. The A-body headers can fit, but these braces must be removed. I'm reluctant to do that on my car because they were put in for a reason.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM

morning,
thanks for your answer.

i donīt can modify the headers.

than i must change other things on my car for more power.
i think than about for a other rear axle or a other torgue converter.

i rebuild my 403 engine last time, with ī72A cyl.-heads, mondello jm 18-20 cam, 650 cfm edelbrock AVS carb, edelbrock performer manifold.
mondello tell me than i have 300-400HP.
i donīt feel than.
when i write mondello a large email than he send me few letters - buy this part......i haved payed enough to him.
all that was to expensive - i put 4000euro inside and i donīt can burn the tires on the pavement.

i will more fun on the street in town and also i will drive on the interstate 90 or 100 miles per our.

do you have a idea which rear axle ratio and torgue converter(stall speed) i need?
and do you know a store with this parts?

thank you guy for your information
regards from germany