Extremely high idle

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2019, 04:26 AM

Extremely high idle

I just replaced the carburetor on my 85 Delta 88. Has the 307 in it. What would be the cause of this?
Old April 11th, 2019, 04:42 AM

Did you adjust the timing, or did you just replace the carburetor with a parts store replacement? If the later you could probably get away with setting your choke, idle mixture screws and the idle speed screw.
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Did you adjust the timing, or did you just replace the carburetor with a parts store replacement? If the later you could probably get away with setting your choke, idle mixture screws and the idle speed screw.
I just put a new Edelbrock 600 on and the spacer. I did have to get a half inch shim for the throttle linkage to not touch the intake at all. Would that help some with the idle?
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:36 AM

If your throttle linkage binds against the intake that could cause your car to idle fast. However, installing an Edelbrock carburetor on your Olds surely opened Pandora's Box. In 1985 your OIds used an OBD1 system. Adding an aftermarket carburetor probably caused more problems than it cured. Why did you get the Edelbrock carb in the first place?
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If your throttle linkage binds against the intake that could cause your car to idle fast. However, installing an Edelbrock carburetor on your Olds surely opened Pandora's Box. In 1985 your OIds used an OBD1 system. Adding an aftermarket carburetor probably caused more problems than it cured. Why did you get the Edelbrock carb in the first place?
It was free. My dad bought it for his ls he was going to build but the block was junk.
Old April 12th, 2019, 03:30 AM

Does it fast idle with the throttle cable disconnected? Can you post a couple pictures of the carb mounted? Are there any open vacuum lines? I hope you find the problem.
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
Does it fast idle with the throttle cable disconnected? Can you post a couple pictures of the carb mounted? Are there any open vacuum lines? I hope you find the problem.
for now I capped off all the open vacuum ports and T'd off a couple lines that runs to the carb. I'll have to get pics when I get home from work.
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Trashylowrider
It was free. My dad bought it for his ls he was going to build but the block was junk.
Even if the old carb was not running well, I would put it back on. With the computer controls that the car has it will never run right with that carb on it. The computer needs to see inputs from the carb to be cable to adjust timing. Without it, it will never advance properly because there are no weights in that distributor.
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
With the computer controls that the car has it will never run right with that carb on it.
x2

If you want to delete all of the smog equipment on your car, then an Edelbrock carburetor is a good choice. However, at a minimum you would have to replace the distributor with a 4 pin HEI unit from the mid 70s (or go all the way back to points), delete the EGR, delete the smog pump and delete the catalytic converters. Depending on where you live, this would cause your car to fail inspection or emissions and then you couldn't register it.

If you're having trouble withe the electronic Quadrajet originally on the car we can help you troubleshoot it. They aren't too difficult to rebuild if your handy.
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the information. I managed to get the Edelbrock carb to work on the car. I did have a loose vacuum line that I missed when I was redoing the lines.
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:59 AM

Well... we're here to help you troubleshoot when you need us. Good luck.