Exhaust leak or collapsed lifter? An annoying ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Exhaust leak or collapsed lifter? An annoying ticking noise.

Rebuilt 350 in 72 Vista Cruiser. NOS lifters, and rockers. Dual shorty hedders.

The problem I'm having isn't a real problem because the engine runs beautifully. But at rpm's higher than idle, say accelerating quickly, I can hear a ticking in the engine, almost a tapping.

Everyone who hears this while riding in the car with me suggests an exhaust leak and at first, that's what I thought. However, I have replaced exhaust gaskets and made sure that the bolts are tight at the heads and at the pipes.

You can't really detect a small exhaust leak until the engine is wide open, you know?

So what else could it be? What am I not thinking about? I have thought that maybe it's a "tapping" caused by a collapsed lifter or something, but is there a way to tell for sure without pulling the intake? It seems to definitely be coming from the driver's side of the engine, and again, I can't really hear it at idle. Only when accelerating or sustained high speeds.

One reason everyone thinks it's an exhaust leak somewhere is that it DOES seem to disappear when I lay off the gas pedal. And I can't really replicate the noise by working the throttle with my hand as it's parked.

But I have tightened every bolt from where the headers join with the pipes and at the heads. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Buz
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:10 AM

it sounds like an exhaust leak to me,it may not be leaking from a gasket surface.headers are welded in numerous places and they could have missed one tiny spot,maybe where the tube meets the flange.i like to use a piece of metal brake or fuel line with a piece of rubber hose to put to your ear to pinpoint leaks.you may have to have someone put it in gear and torque it slightly to make it more noticeable.jc