Annoying Fuel "Leak"

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM

Annoying Fuel "Leak"

My 72 442 apparently has a small fuel leak "somewhere." When stored in the garage, the fuel smell is strong, but I can't find an obvious leak. When driving, you can smell it a little bit also. When parked outside, it isn't really noticable. The wife is NOT happy with the foul smell, and I am concerned about the build up of vapors in the garage.
I just bought the car last month, and the prev owner said he never had this problem (was stored in his garage year round, so I believe him.)
I will put cardboard down under the car to try and spot any tell tale fuel leaks. Any other ideas?
I hope something just rattled loose on the 750 mile trailer ride home a few days ago...if so I hope I can just tighten something up.

Thanks for any ideas,

Scotty B
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
car guy

I would check all the vapor hoses. There are some that go to a charcoal cannister in the RH front behind the headlight and there are some more that go to a cannister under the back seat.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM

1972 442 "fuel leak"

I have exactly the same condition with my '72 W-30. If I drive it at all and pull it back into the garage the raw gas smell is incredible. I usually leave the garage door up for about 20 minutes after I've turned off the car just to vent the vapors. I look forward to reading what others have done to fix this. I didn't know that there was a second canister under the rear seat until I read the forum today.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

If you smell fuel but don't see a puddle, check the rubber hoses between the tank and the hardline on the frame. I've had these crack and let vapors out, particularly the suction line. Since it is suction, it usually doesn't leave a puddle.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:32 PM

Problem Identified!!!

I found the gas leak! After inspecting the cardboard boxes (no stains) and crawling around the fuel lines from stem to stern, I finally pulled off the air filter cover and there it was...a few cracks in the main fuel line going to the carb. When I cranked it up, fuel came bubbling right out. I will get a new 3/8 inch rubber hose this weekend and fix it.

By the way, my air filter housing is a dual snorkel, but both snorkels are identical (shape, length, etc) and the left side snorkel was an "add on." I can see where someone cut a hole and crimped the new snorkel into it. Definitley not a factory job, but I wonder how it affects performance?

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty B
...a few cracks in the main fuel line going to the carb. When I cranked it up, fuel came bubbling right out. I will get a new 3/8 inch rubber hose this weekend and fix it.
Scotty, were the cracks in the metal line going from the fuel pump to the carb? If so, use the rubber hose only as a very temporary fix until you can replace the metal line. The rubber hose should not be used on the pressure side, as it can burst after a few years, depending on the hose quality. I had a 3" rubber pressure hose on my old Ford burst in the driveway after only 5 years or so. (A poor idea from Ford!) Definite fire hazzard also...

The parts place, Fusicks, OPG, etc have the pre-bent metal lines for about 20 bucks or so. Prepare to shape them a little better when you install them as they are not perfect.
Glad you located the problem!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM

Thannks Rob, I'll check on that. I'm not even really "Shadetree" qulaified so I'm learning as I go. I have the 72 Assembly Manual and it is a great help. I'll get a new rubber hose this weekend and research the metal line issue.
Thanks again.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM

Glad you found the leak.

Gas leaks sometimes don't leave puddles because if it's a small leak the gas will evapoate (sp) not too long after hitting the ground.

When I did my swap, I smelled a bit of raw gas. Not like you, but just a little bit. My charcoal cannister had a line going in, but no line going out, so I capped the other line and the car even ran a bit better, IDK.

Summit sells a braided fuel line kit from the pump to carb. It's nice I like it. I'm pretty sure it's a kit. It's got those red and blue conectors. Just be careful hooking them up, I bent the one elbow. The are very thin, and tear easy