Exhaust ideas on a 84 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM

Exhaust ideas on a 84 cutlass

I'd like to replace my entire stock exhaust system with a completely new dual exhaust system from new manifolds to pipe layout. From what I've read H style pipes are for lower end power and X pipes are for high speed power? I want to have the tailpipes in front of the rear tires like on the pic. Is there any mufflers that are similiar to the cherry bomb glasspacks? has anyone encountered any fitment issues if you guys have done this mod to a similiar model. how large should the OD of the pipes be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
exhaust.jpg (35.7 KB, 31 views)
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:24 AM

If you put a call into Heartthrob exhausts, they're usually more than happy to help get you set up. An alternative to glasspacks is powersticks ... chambered mufflers that look like nothing more than a messed up pipe, but do reign in the hi frequency noise ... while letting that 'burble' out. Very free flowing, and good for tight, awkward runs.

Looking at your pics ... where are you planning to put the cats?
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:50 AM

I know it's a Delta, but I did a full custom setup manifold to tip...

I used a Summit H-Pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, and a set of Flowmaster Impala SS axle back stainless steel tips. Without question, I can say that I absolutely love the sound. It sounds similar to an inboard V8 boat at idle. It's got a smooth, mellow sound through-out the RPM band. Wide open throttle makes it sound like a beast. And zero drone. Had a local shop put it all together for me, and I couldn't be happier.

All of this sitting behind a stock 78 350.
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Have you done anything to the engine as far as upgrades? Or maybe a future project?
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM

theres not alot of room under there to run muflers and exit out infront of the tires. your probaly have to run glasspacts near the driveshaft tunnel. Depending on headers, shortie headers, motor, heads etc.... i guess we need to know more info of what you got/plan to do before we can give any "good" advice
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM

I have the stock 307 (Y) but going to upgrade intake manifold and change from a belt driven fan to electric and remove the A/C system entirely but as far as beefing up the engine im not sure what i should or could do, I ultimately want to add more torque then hp. If I were to upgrade camshafts i would have to upgrade valve components as well correct? I havent jacked up my vehicle high enough to see the entire undercarriage so I am not sure what the best way to go as of now I may have to go all the way to the rear bumper. As far as headers/manifolds go has anyone had any trouble placing tuned headers in or the longer headers?
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:51 PM

Just a suggestion, one low clearance guy to another .... Take a digital camera and tape it to the flat of a hockey stick. Turn on the video capacity and slowly walk it about underneath, back and forth. I usually talk while I'm low sticking so I know exactly what area I'm recording at any time. I'm sure if you look about, you'll find a way to take that video and digitally stitch together frames into a single large photo of the entire underside.
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:12 AM

If it was my car , I'd get 2 1/4 pipe, no x or H , your choice of muffler and tail pipes right to the back . Then take some time to educate your self on possible mods and do you research.
Then you can come up with a solid plan for future mods. You might just build your self a good 350??
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would try and find a good muffler shop. They can put it up on a lift and then give you an idea as to what they can do. Coming out in front of the rear wheels is going to be custom anyway.
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:16 AM

I would try and find a good muffler shop.
x2

You are going to get better service and a better price going to a local shop. If you order parts on-line you're going to have to piece together your system and there will be "trial and error" involved.

I had the 2.5 inch pipes put on my 71 98 by a local exhaust shop. I had an X pipe installed with full-length Heddman headers and 45" Thrush glasspacks. Of course, my 98 is quite a bit longer than a G body. I think a local exhaust shop can fabricate what you want with the pipes exiting before the rear wheel without any trouble.
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM

I guess I forgot to mention that the engine has less then 15,000 original miles, that is why I have been a bit hesitent to modify it. I will definetly take all your guys advice and ill go ahead and post pics of my process he or on the project thread
Thank you guys a lot I really appreciate the input.
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:45 PM

imo. don't bother with headers or shorties, ya may want to put older cast iron manifolds, on their pretty cheap, shipping will kill ya thou. I agree with the 2-1/4 pipe, if you upgrade the motor youl be good to go. H or X pipe can be installed later, not needed now.

I would run castiron manifolds (if they fit), 2.25 pipes to turbo mufs, then out the sides behind the tires.
Old December 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM

I'd get a cat back exhaust for a LG4 Monte Carlo SS, it might even bolt to the back of your converter.
If you want duals, check into getting a double hump trans cross member.
Attached Images
imagesCJ3IYBV5.jpg (9.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by M-14; December 7th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old December 7th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Definitely would want a dual hump crossmember or modify/notch the existing one to do full duals the right way.

When I had my Cutlass ...

I was undecided about which transmission was going to be the forever "keeper".
(knew I needed/wanted a gear change)

The rebuilt TH350 I put in it ..... or buy a built up 200R4.

Still undecided but wanting something better than the factory single pipe to hold me over for awhile ...

I settled on the VIN 9 type setup found in the 83/4 Hurst's & 85-87 442's.

I knew I'd eventually want full duals done the right way using an aftermarket crossmember ... but they differ IIRC, & as I said above - I was undecided which trans I ultimately wanted in there.

In retrospect ... probably would have made much more sense to buy the aftermarket crossmember for the TH350 at the time & just do the full duals. I'm sure I would have had no problem re-selling the TH350 crossmember if I had gone with a 200R4 later. Probably would have had a tougher time re-selling the used VIN 9 exhaust.

6 of one - half a dozen I guess.

While you certainly won't see the same benefit as full duals ... the VIN 9 exhaust setup did make a difference.

There was an interstate on-ramp I would always enter in a somewhat spirited manner.

The car (84 Calais) as equipped at that time :

Rebuilt 79 403 w/a Performer cam.
Rebuilt 77 TH350 w/a mild shift kit.
Factory peg leg 2.14 highway gears.

Prior to the exhaust :

Getting on the on-ramp I could "scratch" 2nd gear @ 4x out of every 10x.

After the exhaust ..... I can't recall one instance where I was NOT able to scratch 2nd gear on that on-ramp.

If you should decide to go this route, speak up.

I have something regarding the install that might be worth mentioning.

Attached Images
OldsG_Duals.jpg (170.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by ThePackRat; December 7th, 2013 at 11:54 PM.