Edelbrock Performer Intake...opps

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Edelbrock Performer Intake...opps

Does any one know a decent fix for a crack in an aluminum intake?
I installed this (used) intake, i never noticed it had a crack next to the heat temp sensor area. I could take it off, have it welded....but if I take it off I'll just but a new one. I would like to try a fix first if possible...any ideas?

Thanks
New motor 215.jpgNew motor 217.jpg
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM

I wouldn't do anything but weld it. The way it looks it's going to continue right over to that other plug and that's the best case scenario. You could stop it from cracking further by drilling a hole at the end of the crack but you'd still have to get it welded. Anything you put on it, like JB Weld will crack in the same spot due to that brass plug being screwed in there.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Registered

Check this stuff out.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/pyro.htm
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Land Yacht Captain

You could always drill out the end of the crack to stop it from spreading any further. Then grind a notch into the crack and JB Weld that sucker!!!
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
You could always drill out the end of the crack to stop it from spreading any further. Then grind a notch into the crack and JB Weld that sucker!!!
So I drill a small (how small?) hole right at the end of the crack, right through the intake, to the water passage. Use a die grinder to open the crack so the filler can take hold ( just a small amount I am guessing). Should I apply some to the underside if I can get my fingers in there? Not too sure if that would get into the radiator or if it would hold on the inside of the intake or not.

Originally Posted by TripDueces
I wouldn't do anything but weld it. The way it looks it's going to continue right over to that other plug and that's the best case scenario. You could stop it from cracking further by drilling a hole at the end of the crack but you'd still have to get it welded. Anything you put on it, like JB Weld will crack in the same spot due to that brass plug being screwed in there.

Sorry for the bad news.
I am afraid you are most likely right but I am going to try to give it a fix first.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Thanks for the info, but I am going with JB first. If it does not work I'll be looking for a new intake.

Any one have a Performer or Performer RPM for sale?
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Land Yacht Captain

When I have done it in the past I drilled it out and tapped it for a 1/8 or 1/4 NPT. That way you can get a nice plug to fill the drilled hole.

I wouldn't worry about getting the JB on the inside of the intake. Thats the reason for grinding out the crack to make sure you get good contact with the majority of the crack..

I have fixed Chevy intakes like this a few times and they are still on the road driving after many years. Just take your time and make sure everything is super clean.
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:18 AM

JB Weld...OMG
Do the job once, get it welded.
With JB Weld, you will do the job twice.
You just don't know when the second time will be.
Guaranteed.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; July 11th, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Weld it that's the only way to fix it right. It won't cost that much.
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Weld it that's the only way to fix it right. It won't cost that much.
Any one know if it needs to come off to weld or can it be done on the car....safely
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 74 Omega
Any one know if it needs to come off to weld or can it be done on the car....safely
You will have to remove the fittings, which means you will have to drain the coolant. Then re-tap the fitting where it was welded. You may need to do grinding. I know a shop out here that would tackle it, most shops will not. You will have to call around.
Otherwise, pull the manifold.So what,you buy another gasket. Any welding shop will do the bare manifold.
It's a cheap price to pay for having it done right, and to never have to worry about it again.
JMO
Jim
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM

You can have it welded but my experience is that many shops don't know how to weld aluminum and cast iron correctly. My dad (Oldsguy) and I have only found one shop that does good work. They are professionals and stand by their work.

I've had cast iron and aluminum welded by other shops before and it always comes back looking like rat turds, and failing after a short time!

I would try the JB weld first, especially if you don't know of a good welding shop in your area.