Damn thing won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
2Blue 55

Damn thing won't shut off

well my 55 olds finally has the drive train back together finally and she runs pretty good except for one pain in the *** problem that only happens sometimes... every now and then... when she decides to she likes to sputter and cough and wheese for a few seconds before she finally shuts off and the last stroke blows a nice plume of gas out the carb and into my aircleaner... but only sometimes when she wants to... i thought it might be timing chain jumped a tooth but then it starts fine and shuts off fine 80% of the time and runs excellent... i thought my vaccum advance? any thoughts?

Thanks guys,
Robert
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM
2Blue 55

any thoughts as to cause? anybody? even a stab in the dark?
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Idling too fast (throttle plates open a little). Kill it in gear and see if it helps.
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Is this issue heat related? maybe it happens when a little on the warm side?It seems to be a fresh build so I doubt its carbon in the cylinders, which can develop hot spots in the combustion chamber and cause dieseling (run on). If it happens even when cold it isn't built up carbon. you might want to check the choke linkage and make sure its not binding or sticking, causing a temporary high idel speed like Danny sugested.One other thing to check, remove the generator belt and try it. it's possible that some part of the wiring is 'feeding back' power to the ignition circut from the generator (granted, its unlikley). I have seen stranger things before...