chevy

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Exclamation chevy

hey everyone i have a ? i have a engine and trans from a 79 chevy malibu i need to put in my 81 cutlass is it gonna bolt right in or will there be more work than i thought anyone done this befor
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:01 PM

I don't know about the motor mounts but the fuel lines are on the other side of the motor.

Any Olds motor will bolt right in, and have more toqure
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Motor mounts, fuel lines, wiring, radiator...I'm with Redog on this one!

C.J.
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM

im cool with the fuel line and wireing my problem is the mounts what mounts do i need the ones from the malibu or any chevy 350 mounts will be good and will i have to weld or bolt them on .any help is great
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Wink Transplant ?

Better have donar & recipent side by side .Start with a good imagenation & alot of patenice and a cooler FULL of your favorite refreshments >A couple of buddys for there help ,& input. ozoneblue larry@vintageozarks.com
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM

ok well has anyone done this before or does anyone have some good experience
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Not that I approve...but I know the deal. What motor was originally in the Olds?

C.J.
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:29 PM

it was a v6
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

You need the frame mounts from a Cutlass or Monte and Chevy 350 motor mounts. The 'Bu has a different frame.

I think the battery and A/C compressor are also on the wrong side .

Are you SURE you wanna do this?

C.J.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM

You have an Olds engine(V8) in there right now, correct? If so, your engine and frame mounts are different as well as all your brackets and accessories that are bolted to the Olds engine will not bolt up to the Chevy. It is not that hard to find an Olds 350 out of any earlier model and it will bolt right up. If you use the Chevy engine you will need all of the frame and engine mounts and all the accessories and brackets from the Malibu to install into your Olds. It is a lot easier if you find an Olds engine unless you just like the hassle of doing a lot of extra work.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Past Administrator

Not to be cruel or anything, just honest. You will get about as much enthusiasm from this as you would posting the same question on a chevy site. Or maybe asking them how to put a '71 olds motor in an '81 Monte. You are looking at a lot of work when you could do just as easily stay in the same division. There are lots of SBOs out there that would shoe in with so little effort. I bet there are chevy guys that would give you a fair price for your small block chevy and you coulg get an SBO and then you are on your way...
Don't forget that the coolant lines for the tranny will probably not fit either without modification
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Not to be cruel or anything, just honest. You will get about as much enthusiasm from this as you would posting the same question on a chevy site. Or maybe asking them how to put a '71 olds motor in an '81 Monte. You are looking at a lot of work when you could do just as easily stay in the same division. There are lots of SBOs out there that would shoe in with so little effort. I bet there are chevy guys that would give you a fair price for your small block chevy and you coulg get an SBO and then you are on your way...
Don't forget that the coolant lines for the tranny will probably not fit either without modification
OOH! Didn't think about that one.

He said it was a V6 originally. Correct me if I'm wrong here, guys, but swapping V6 to an SBO (if the transmission is still good) will require only new frame perches for the motor...right?

THAT sounds a LOT easier!

C.J.
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I don't really think anybody it being nasty to this guy, we are just telling him that it's not as easy as a swap as he thinks. If the guy is getting a Chevy motor for cheap, he doesn't realize how much more expensive the swap is going to be. Not trying to be a wise ***, but you'd have as many headahces dropping a Ford motor between the rails.

What are your plans for this car? If you planing to race it, Olds motors have a lot more toqure anyway
Old December 14th, 2006, 06:56 PM

ok everyone the car has a v6 thats no good i have a 350 sbc motor if i get the mounts to the sbc motor will it work or not i dont care about the fuel lines or the electrical i got a buddy that can do that, my woories r how to mount the motor in i have the 350and the trans from the chevy malibu will i have to weld them in or what, thanks to all
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Weld in new motor perches and re-engineer the car to fit it.

C.J.
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM

anything else
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

You might have to change the length of the driveshaft but it would be hard to know until you actually take measurements, should work though.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Well I have done exactly what your describing. And just to confirm; 1) The V6 that came out of that car is a buick 231 3.8L. 2) You will need new Chevy Motor mounts (sold at Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc.) 3) The AC Canister and internals are the passenger side of your car, however the compressor may located on the drivers side of the motor. 3) Re-routing the fuel lines should not be that difficult.

So, I had a 1981 Cutlass Supreme and currently have a 1985 in which I have done the same engine swap. The 81 I dropped a 350 and 400 which made that car a beast. This car was sold in 1992. The 85 I dropped a 383 stroker and a 700r4 trans. The 85 also has headers, flowmaster exhuast, etc. I still own the 85. On both cars, I had to change the Trans mount, modify the cross member, shorten the drive shaft, and change the rear end. Each car was a project so roll up your sleaves. However, I was pleased with both. Good luck.