Olds 455 In 1984 Chevy Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Olds 455 In 1984 Chevy Camaro Z28

I have alot of projects going on at the moment. I am really considering putting an oldsmobile 455 into a 1984 camaro z28. I just do not know whether or not it will really fit or what lengths I will have to go through to make it fit. I do not want to get started on the project only to find out that it is an impossible feat. Can this be done? Has someone ever heard of this type of engine swap taking place? If so, what all had to be done to achieve this feat? I would go with a chevy 350, but I like oldsmobile big blocks and don't mind putting in the work to get the job done.
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Past Administrator

I assure you that it has probably been done, or at least a similar one. It's hard to imagine any idea being new. At any rate, I just measured (not with calipers, but with a tape measure and eyeballing it) my 455 in the garage and it is @ 13" wide at motor mounts and 23" wide at the widest spot at bottom edge of heads and at outer edge of valve covers. Does'nt that year of Camaro have shock towers? I would think that might be a limiting factor. At any rate, good luck.
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM

It can be done!

I had an 82 Firebird with a 455. You need a BOP trans from a Firebird that has the mounting bracket for the torque arm that runs back to the diff. You also need olds motor / frame mounts. I just welded the frame mounts to the frame.

No problem with the shock towers. It is an easy swap. Now I am looking at taking that engine and putting it in my 1969 Caprice with the Chevy TH400. I think I can get mounts from a 1969 Delta 88 and get the BOP-chevy trans adapter and make it work. Can anyone verify that?
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:03 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Welcome to the site Capriceguy.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by TOONLOVESCHERYL
I have alot of projects going on at the moment. I am really considering putting an oldsmobile 455 into a 1984 camaro z28. I just do not know whether or not it will really fit or what lengths I will have to go through to make it fit. I do not want to get started on the project only to find out that it is an impossible feat. Can this be done? Has someone ever heard of this type of engine swap taking place? If so, what all had to be done to achieve this feat? I would go with a chevy 350, but I like oldsmobile big blocks and don't mind putting in the work to get the job done.
I'll also say it can and has been done, I had a Olds 455 with turbo 400 in a 83 Trans Am , as long as you run manifolds,weld in some frame pads, there is no problem at all, i had a bracket made to the crossmember to relocate the torque arm bar., the hood also would not shut due to the performer intake i had on there, im currently looking to put the 455 back in there with a 4 speed & headers.
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM

It can be done, I helped a buddy install a 455 in 82 camaro, he used the B&M TH700 to TH400 conversion kit. He ran stock manifolds with a 3.5 single exhaust (I think he got the system from Napa, original system for a tune port GTA). The car destroyed rear tires at will (duh!) until it killed the puny 7.5 rear-end. I really wasn't that impressed with the cars performance, no question the exhaust was holding it back. However the burnouts and looks from the high and mighty chebby boys made it all worthwhile!