General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1986 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM

1986 Camaro Z28

Gentlemen,

What is this car worth in your opinions? I'm not a Chevy guy but, was offered this car in trade for my 72 Cutlass S roller. These are the only pictures I have. Just determining if it's worth pursuing.

Thanks,

Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
z28 camaro new 001.jpg (97.2 KB, 80 views)
z28 camaro new 014.jpg (71.3 KB, 79 views)
z28 camaro new 025.jpg (79.8 KB, 87 views)
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Car looks in decent shape, but most of this era Z-28's wern't packing much power under the hood and the anti freeze tank looks scary. No idea of your current cars condition, but best checking with the thirdgen.org forum on the Camaro.
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
Car looks in decent shape, but most of this era Z-28's wern't packing much power under the hood and the anti freeze tank looks scary. No idea of your current cars condition, but best checking with the thirdgen.org forum on the Camaro.
I am not planning on keeping the Camaro. The plan is to flip it if I could get $3,000 for it. That what my 72 Cutlass S roller is worth. I'll try thirdgen.org

Thanks
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM

In my opinion, there are too many red flags in those pictures for that 3rd gen to be worth $3,000.
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM

We just stripped and parted out an 85' because we could'nt get $2500 for it. The car was in decent shape. There just does not seem to be a market for them.

Last edited by cutlassjoe; December 4th, 2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM

That's too bad, cause I always liked the look of these Camaros. If it runs good, it LOOKS worth the price (to me anyway)...
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Certifiable car addict...

Just a quick search of the local CL ads I found about a dozen 84-87 camaros, and the MOST expensive one is asking $3500. The majority of them are in the $1500-$2000 range. If you're looking for $3000 out of it, you may be looking a while. Christmas right around the corner, heating bills, and tax time soon after that. If it were me, and I was looking for a flipper car, I'd find something else.

OTOH, if the cutlass is a roller, and the camaro is a turn key driver, you can always roll around it in with for sale signs in the windows for as long as needed to turn the sale. All depends on how far you were wiling to take the cutlass, and how much you have invested in it as it sits now I suppose...

2cents

-Jeff
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bill in NC
In my opinion, there are too many red flags in those pictures for that 3rd gen to be worth $3,000.
What are the red flags?
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=GTI_Guru;346779]
OTOH, if the cutlass is a roller, and the camaro is a turn key driver, you can always roll around it in with for sale signs in the windows for as long as needed to turn the sale. All depends on how far you were wiling to take the cutlass, and how much you have invested in it as it sits now I suppose...

At this point the 72 is about to be parted out. It's been on CL for over week with a handfull of calls. The car really is decent but, people are more into instant gratification. They don't see the potential or the $ invested.

I'll probably hawking parts here in the near future. Might as well start taking requests. Again, 1972 Cutlass S, no engine. A few pictures.....
Attached Images
Picture 015.jpg (66.3 KB, 42 views)
Picture 002.jpg (78.0 KB, 40 views)
Picture 014.jpg (70.0 KB, 37 views)
Picture 018.jpg (32.5 KB, 41 views)
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpage
What are the red flags?
A few things I quickly noticed was in the first picture the front wheels look like they are too far out. That first design IROC wheel was front and rear specific. The back spacing is different. Yes they do have wide tires mounted on them, but at that angle the wheel itself "looks" too far out to me. The front grille is from a later model RS. (why? has it been wrecked?). The rear bumper ground effect "looks" to be missing.

Second pic looks fine, but leaves out any detail being shot from the side of the car that usually doesn't show much wear.

Third pic would scare me just because I don't trust other peoples work. Random wires running all over the fender wells and cowl area. Those perimeter style valve covers let you know somethings up. Those should be center bolt covers and that TPI system lower intake center bolts for the heat riser ports are specific to 86 and later model heads (which those are probably not). There is a chance that those heads do have adapter plates to run perimeter style valve covers, but I would guess that whole car is a mis-match pile of parts.

I'm not saying that car is junk......3rd gens can be fun. I had an 86 Z28 in the same color w/o t-tops. The problem with them is they have no real $$$ value. It's a shame this owner didn't take a picture of that car on a bright sunny day. That color of metallic blue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL is the sun light! Another red flag......he wants to trade you a running driving and what should be a well handling sports car for your empty shell (no offense intended towards you, I do like the 72's).

Then again thats just all my opinion.
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the insight Bill. I'm not really of a Chevy guy. I too thought it was a little strange that someone would be willing to trade a decent driver for just a shell. Like you said 72 Cutlass' are nice but, far from rare. I appreciate the input.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM

No problem. I'm no expert lol. Good luck with your sale.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM

it'd be a little hesitant on the deal. But if you're even considering the Camaro, take a long ride in it with the guy, for an hour or so, on the highway, through back roads, without the radio on, check everything out(look in the radiator for signs of sealall), etc. Look in the rear view mirror during a hard acceleration for any signs of smoke, go over it completely.

The cars aren't worth a lot, but a drivable car that is hard to sell is probably better than a boned out car that just sits, right? Especially if you have pestering neighbors.
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
NôôB

is that an OAI hood in that picture? If so and its an original one i would def keep it no matter what and sell it on the side. and yeah unfortunately, even though it is a Z-28, idont think it is worth you trading for. Mainly due to you are going toflip it anyways and who has said that he wouldnt have tried the same thing.

My 2 cents: have him sell the camaro for the 3k you want for it and then buy it from you
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
is that an OAI hood in that picture? If so and its an original one i would def keep it no matter what and sell it on the side. and yeah unfortunately, even though it is a Z-28, idont think it is worth you trading for. Mainly due to you are going toflip it anyways and who has said that he wouldnt have tried the same thing.

My 2 cents: have him sell the camaro for the 3k you want for it and then buy it from you
It's not an original hood. I wish it was. Probably worth more than the car if it was.

Thanks to all for the sage advise.
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Olds Dreamer

A few things I quickly noticed was in the first picture the front wheels look like they are too far out. That first design IROC wheel was front and rear specific. The back spacing is different. Yes they do have wide tires mounted on them, but at that angle the wheel itself "looks" too far out to me. The front grille is from a later model RS. (why? has it been wrecked?). The rear bumper ground effect "looks" to be missing.

Second pic looks fine, but leaves out any detail being shot from the side of the car that usually doesn't show much wear.

Third pic would scare me just because I don't trust other peoples work. Random wires running all over the fender wells and cowl area. Those perimeter style valve covers let you know somethings up. Those should be center bolt covers and that TPI system lower intake center bolts for the heat riser ports are specific to 86 and later model heads (which those are probably not). There is a chance that those heads do have adapter plates to run perimeter style valve covers, but I would guess that whole car is a mis-match pile of parts.

I'm not saying that car is junk......3rd gens can be fun. I had an 86 Z28 in the same color w/o t-tops. The problem with them is they have no real $$$ value. It's a shame this owner didn't take a picture of that car on a bright sunny day. That color of metallic blue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL is the sun light! Another red flag......he wants to trade you a running driving and what should be a well handling sports car for your empty shell (no offense intended towards you, I do like the 72's).

Then again thats just all my opinion.
This isnt all true. those rims are the same size front and back the reason they have front rims only is because of the hole for the hub the rear rims would not fit in the front at all(hubs to big) has nothing to do with the back spacing (that why they use the same size tire front and back from factory). also the tuned port started in 85 on vettes then 86 on camaros this car is correct the center bolt valve covers started in 87 there are 3 generations of the tuned port intake. 1st one was older heads 8 injectors with a cold start injector 2nd was newer heads 8 injectors and the 3rd one was newer heads 8 injectors with speed density for 91-92 and maybe 90 cant remember.

but everyone is correct they book for so low that no one wants to pay much for them.
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:10 PM

85-87 Camaro IROC-Z Wheels
Colors : Argent (Silver), Charcoal and Gold

Size : 16" x 8"
Backspacing Front : 4.75"
Backspacing Rear : 5.25"
Bolt pattern : 4.75"
Material : Aluminum

Thanks for the info on the TPI systems. My 86 was a feedback Q-Jet, but had the center bolt style heads. I thought in 86 all the F-bodies had switched. Learn something new everyday.
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Olds Dreamer

oops. i looked up the wrong rim. the rim i looked up was the 91-92 rim.
Attached Images
wheel.jpg (2.2 KB, 50 views)
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:13 AM

85-87 Camaro IROC-Z Wheels
Colors : Argent (Silver), Charcoal and Gold

Size : 16" x 8"
Backspacing Front : 4.75"
Backspacing Rear : 5.25"
Bolt pattern : 4.75"
Material : Aluminum

Thanks for the info on the TPI systems. My 86 was a feedback Q-Jet, but had the center bolt style heads. I thought in 86 all the F-bodies had switched. Learn something new everyday.
The wheels and tires on IROC's are the same on both front and rear, the rear uses a spacer between the wheel and hub on both sides to get the wider backspacing. Z/28's don't use the spacer and have the same width front and rear.

The grille is correct for a non-fog lamp equipped Z/28 (fog lamps were optional on all models, standard on IROC's).

Things that I see that aren't original:

16" IROC wheels instead of 15" Z/28 wheels.

headlamp area should be painted semi-flat black.

incorrect door panels (these are base panels, this car should have cloth panels to match the seats. Cloth seats and door panels are correct because the center console has carpeting on the sides).

passenger seat is missing bottom seat rail trim.

Engine compartment: lots of mods, starting off with the ugly flat black paint throughout the compartment instead of body color, no hood insulation, butchered wiring, and rusty bolts (those scare me most since none of my thirdgens have rust like that under the hood... even the ones that sit outside all year).

'68 Hurst/Olds, '63 Nova 400, '59 Chev Viking, Lots of thirdgen Camaros
www.irocnroll.com
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:38 AM

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your insights. The deal is off. Hopefully she will sell the conventional way.

Lou in CT