calling guy's with good advice on o.e. intake gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

calling guy's with good advice on o.e. intake gasket issue

so i got my 307 up and running . let me add for a 307 it's gonna be a nice cruiser it has plenty of pep untill i get my 350 done. My issue at hand is the intake gasket is leakig coolant and my oil is already milky and it seems to be burning a bit too. im gonna fix it this week. I have used the felpro shim gaskets the individuals but never the valley pan. Can i use paper gaskets ?????. its the aluminum intake too for the 307 .
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Is this a joke?
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM

@captjim how is this a joke i have never dealt with anything o.e. on my olds. I have used the shim gaskets on my last 350 . I think o.e. they had the complete valley pan gaskets not just indivisual side's i just got this thing running too and noticed it after a drive around the block . Whats your issue with this. @ joesw31 thanks im just trying to keep this thing reliable and fool proof it really likes the 650 holley dp and x pipe and headers runs awesome i just want it to stay alive as this will be a back up engine for when things come up .
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Copper, a good Fel pro paper gasket is your best bet...you can try the turkey tray but I've never liked using them.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM

I actually used the fel pro shim gaskte intake gaskets on my last 350 but it was to get a good line up on the ports. I just don't know how the o.e. Stuff seals lines up compared to the eddy intakes.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I actually used the fel pro shim gaskte intake gaskets on my last 350 but it was to get a good line up on the ports. I just don't know how the o.e. Stuff seals lines up compared to the eddy intakes.
Copper, after 1973 the olds small block used a different gasket due to EGR valve on intake. Again, if I remember right the 307 has smaller runners. Therefore, the two piece intake gasket will not work, and they were used in 1968. The valley pan gaskets are not easy to use, but just take your time and you will be ok.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks. I figure I'll lightly silicone around the ports to hold up the valley pan tray over night the do the top side and torque down.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM

That's the game plan. Hopefully 4th july early ill take care of it.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Imho, I would not use the turkey tray with the e-brock manifold. Get a good quality fiber set.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-4694G/
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:14 AM

Check for intake for corrosion. 307 intakes are famous for for that on the water ports in the front. I've had alot 307s do that.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM

Damn its at the front.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM

Fwiw I didn't use the turkey tray on my ebrock. I used the individual shim gaskets with no issues.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM

Best bet for a corroded intake is fiber gasket with ultra copper on water ports and high tac sealer on the rest of it...trim the port openings to match the intake and heads, although on a 307 you may not need to.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM

yeah i think im gonna go with the turkey tray but i figured im gonna lay a beat around all the ports then let the tray dry over night then finish it the next., that way the silicone/rtv will stay a little uncompressed and will seal better once it squiches down knda like an o ring is my thoughts.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM

This good writeup and fix came from guys with lots of experience on this leak - very common with aluminum intakes.
http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/howto.html#manifold
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
yeah i think im gonna go with the turkey tray but i figured im gonna lay a beat around all the ports then let the tray dry over night then finish it the next., that way the silicone/rtv will stay a little uncompressed and will seal better once it squiches down knda like an o ring is my thoughts.
I think that's a terrible idea.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM

How so. You set your silicone up then put the turkey tray on. And push it in a bit then let it set up . Essentially its an o ring with the turkey tray in between. I did this with my oil pan and when I re used my fuel pump gasket with good results.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:30 PM

Once the RTV sets up and becomes a dried "bead", when you put the intake on and torque it down the RTV will compress. As it compresses it will crack on the edges, so while you think it's sealing better because it's under pressure, it's actually not because you created cracks through it because of the pressure.

At the very least, use a turkey tray in the fashion it was designed for and according to the manual. But, I still think a fiber gasket is your best bet...using the method I explained above.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM

I'm pushing it A bit smooshing the bead. And I don't do thick beads. I think for it to crack you need really thick beads. I do small beads and push it down then let it sit then silicone the top side and torque it at that time. The silicone needs to be really thick for it to crack.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM

Gotcha
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:13 PM

I might have chosen the wrong words to explain. Im not trying to essentially make o rings between the gaskets . I am leaning towards the paper gaskets . I usually lay down thin beads around the port roughly 1/4 in. from the edge then push it down till i can bearly see it from the edge of the gasket i usually use a 2x4 to get even pressure so i dont get high and low spots . I learned this from my dad and it has never failed me yet . We all have our prefrences but i appreciate everyones concerns.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:26 AM

Btw guys I popped off the intake today. And it was definetly corrosion. I saw no indication of previous rtv use so hopefully that will aid my leak issue. Ordering my valley pan gasket today.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:42 PM

I'll be honest, based on all of your posts giving advice on a wide range of topics, I would not think that changing a simle intake gaket would be an issue. Not using the tray might cost you a few HP. In my tech days I changed a ton of them. Here is what I do;
Clean all mating surfaces thoroughly.
Test fit gasket dry, it should "pop" into the holes on the heads
Use a thick bead of RTV black on the end rails
Use a generous amount of RTV black around the water ports, both sides of gasket
Use the brush on avaition type RTV on the ports, both sides of gasket
Torque to specs in sequence
I have used the stock gasket with E-Brock intakes with no issue.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:27 PM

i know its not a big deal. i have done alot of bigger task's . Like i said i have never used the turkey tray or an o.e.m intake i wanted a little input on the topic to make sure i wouldnt approach this like an edelbrock intake etc etc. i got some good advice i just want to do this right the first time. i have never had any issues with an intake but i have read on people having issues with the turkey tray so i figured i would ask. I just ordered my turkey tray and i should have it tommorow from napa. I want to approach this like an o.e.m style repair since the engine is bone stock minus the bolt on's.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I install the turkey the exact same way as Jim, the right way. I tried the SCE intake gaskets, a pain to line up. When I pulled the intake, it was not a good alignment. I have used the turkey with multiple aluminum intakes, no issues.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM

im just gonna put it on like i normally do. It didnt even have silicone on it when i pulled the intake off im sure adding it will cure the issue. specially around the water ports.
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM

ok guys got it fixed i think. Here is what I did i cleaned the gasket surfaces with a scotch brite pad and some brake cleaner sprayed on the pad. the wiped it dry. once it was all clean i lined up the gasket to make sure it would fit and it did i went with the valley pan because napa got for me the next day. I put a good amount of rtv arounf the water ports the just a thin bead smeared around the intake ports. I set the valley pan in and pushed it on the i applied rtv to the top side of the vally pan in the same manner as the bottom side i ditched the rubber end seals and just used rtv . i put my intake on sugged it up the torqued it in sequence per the manual. I let it sit for about 3 hours then i fired it up with the collan low so i could get alittle heat through the engine to speed up the drying process. I ran it long enought to get some heat but not for the t stat to open. Tommorow i will change the oil and add the gallon of coolant it needs.
Old July 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Just to be sure, re-check the torque after several heat cycles.
Old July 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Will do.
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM

Ok guys its all fixed drove it all day today. Its safe to say with patience the turkey tray can be done with no incident. I was worried because i always hear of people messing em up but i have no leaks and i get to take my car out.
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Glad to hear it went well.
Would you mind sharing your secret methodology? Like what gasket #, sealant, what you did at the front and rear edges, etc... Eventually I will need to do my '86.
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM

i bought the gasket from napa. dont know the p/n the box is long gone but it was fel pro. I scrapped off the gasket material, then i grabbed a green scotch brite pad and sprayed it with brake cleaner and scuffed both mating sides the intake and heads. I set thick beads and the front and back along with around the water ports the i layed a light beads around the intake ports and smeared them before i put the gasket in i did this on both sides the heads and once the gasket was in. I did not smear the water ports . I slowly layed the intake down and bolted it up snug then torqued it .I let it sit for 3 hours then i ran it with the collant low till i felt some heat on the intake then shut it off. the next day i topped off the collant and changed the oil .
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM

Great - thanks! What sealant did you use?
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM

I used permatex high heat rtv.