Intake Gasket style, need advice

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Question Intake Gasket style, need advice

Pulled the intake manifold off tonight to replace the gasket. To my surprise was the small valley pan tray bolted in place and the 4 piece gasket. I already bought the turkey tray assuming it would be the one I needed. Should I return it for the 4 piece gasket set or will it fit in place with attached valley pan? If it does fit in place is it ok to use both? I can't remember the last time I saw one of those valley pans

Thanks, Joe
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Are you talking about the valley pan that covers the lifter galley and goes around the pushrods? If so you can use both, but I have had more success with the 2 piece sets (Take a 4 piece, throw out the rubber end seals = 2 piece).

Use the fiber manifold gaskets from a 4 piece with high tac sealant on them and then use a thick bead of Ultra Copper on the end rails and around the water ports. That is the best way to seal the intake.
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:02 AM

no, talking about the valley pan tray that you find on the 330 engines that attaches with two 7/16 bolts
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Found this on the aaca board from last year by Joe P. Now really confused It does not appear the intake has been off before and I cannot see anyone adding the separate valley tray if it was.....
Engine is a 350, #'s match and all

"The 1964-65 (and possibly 66) 330 motors used metal intake gaskets with a separate valley tray. By 1967 the one-piece metal gasket was used by the factory, as Glenn points out. Likely that intake has been off before. The early gaskets will work."
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Intake, chain and gears replacement

Update on intake gasket replacement. Ended up removing valley pan (see pic) and using turkey pan gasket instead. While I had the fuel line and brackets off for the ac and alternator I figured it would be a good time to replace the fuel pump gasket and take a peak at the timing chain. Someone replaced the fuel pump and used clear silicone to seal Pump was at least a carter pump so I just replaced with fel-pro gasket. That was the easy part, no need to look at the chain, I could move it back and forth like a swing! So off came the front cover and everything that goes along with it. It was still the original nylon gear and thankfully only a few teeth were missing (see pic). I replaced the water pump, cleaned up and reassembled with the original oil pan seal. No way I was getting the new seal in place without dropping the oil pan, and I am not ready for that yet. I loosened the front four bolts on the oil pan, placed a thin film of permatex gray sealer on the pan and bottom of the seal and squeezed a decent blob in each of the front corners of the oil pan gasket. Worked the front cover back in place with the new gasket behind it.

I had already cleaned the intake gasket area on the heads and block. There was also a nice blob of sludge between the pushrods for the 3 and 5 cylinders the I cleaned out as well I wire wheeled all the nuts and bolts, cleaned and painted the front cover and intake with duplicolor gold (see pic). It is a bit lighter the olds gold but looks ok. Replaced the intake and used the gray sealant around the water jackets and GM compression sealant for everywhere else including the bolts. Still need to do the valve covers but I was exhausted after 2 days of work. I also repainted the brackets that I removed. Power steering pump is another job for another day as well. The good part is that nothing was rusted, the bad part is that some oil with New Mexico clay is just about impossible to remove. I spent as much time cleaning as I did repairing. I did find 2 clips laying on the top of the transmission housing (see pic). They look familiar but I cannot place them. Anyway, everything went back together fairly smooth and finally had a chance to run it for a while down to a local show this weekend. Car ran great! Much more responsive and that was after dropping the timing back 3 degrees from where it was. It was set at 11 and move to 14 with the new chain. No leaks and no water in the oil!

At the show met a good guy with a restored 68 442. It was white with a red top, interior and strip. The color combo looked awesome! Glad I was not parked next to him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00409.jpg (13.3 KB, 32 views)
IMG_1006.JPG (42.6 KB, 26 views)
IMG_1.JPG (34.4 KB, 23 views)
IMG_0991.JPG (58.4 KB, 30 views)
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
Update on intake gasket replacement. Ended up removing valley pan (see pic)
Yup, that's the 330 valley pan. The intake gaskets should have been individual metal gaskets.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yup, that's the 330 valley pan. The intake gaskets should have been individual metal gaskets.
Joe, do you think it is just a carry over to the early 350's? I can't couldn't think of anything else.

Any idea what the 2 clips were from?