Bolt on EFI, Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM
Tha' Big Dog

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
You're exactly right.
I did mine because, after driving my '72, my wife would tell me I smelled like "Car".

The only way to make old Detroit iron remotely efficient is thru EFI. I can run mine lean enough to run cats without surging etc., so I added cats to the exhaust system years ago.
Now I have nostalgic looks and a much cleaner running car. Imo the best of both worlds, and it has the original motor in it. Icing on the cake.
Okay, this helps, real world experience. I've also found after a little more research that multi-port injection is also available (I said from the beginning I was sorta new). And for only a few bucks more than the TBI systems I can get all the benefits while keeping my Cutty pure. Thanks cutlassefi and all who posted.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
What? If the valves are "on their way out" it'll cause a whole lot more than a vacuum leak.
It's easy to underestimate an oldschool tool. A vacuum guage to a mechanic is like a stethescope to a doctor who first uses one to find out if the wheezing is just asthma or tuberculosis, before sending the patient into an expensive to diagnose computer tomography tube. Using a simple instrument can often save plenty of time and unneccesary work: http://www.3geez.com/forum/carb-tech...does-mean.html

Old November 25th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
It's easy to underestimate an oldschool tool. A vacuum guage to a mechanic is like a stethescope to a doctor who first uses one to find out if the wheezing is just asthma or tuberculosis, before sending the patient into an expensive to diagnose computer tomography tube. Using a simple instrument can often save plenty of time and unneccesary work: http://www.3geez.com/forum/carb-tech...does-mean.html

Correct. And depending on the severity a vacuum leak typically has little to no effect once it's off idle. However leaky valves will effect running quality throughout. And if the leaky valves are due to worn guides etc then excessive oil consumption will occur as well. Again more symptoms and effects than just a vacuum leak caused by another source.
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
There are NO screws on a Q-Jet you can turn that will adjust the fuel mixture at cruise speeds.
IIRC the adjustable part throttle does just that. It's hard to get to, but it exists.
Old November 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM

What's an "adjustable part throttle" on a Qjet?

Originally Posted by Seff
IIRC the adjustable part throttle does just that. It's hard to get to, but it exists.
Old November 25th, 2013, 03:33 PM

For the efi interested, here's a post I put on another forum where someone was suggesting an inexpensive alternative efi TB to an LS motor swap. It's worth every cent you paid to read it...if you can stay awake reading it.

"You could probably put together a GM TB efi for a couple hundred bucks. But you wont get anywhere near the performance or gas mileage of a modern engine. The engine, cam, heads, efi, spark, gearing, etc are all designed to work together.
The stock LS heads flow better than the older hi performance heads, that's how they make hp. Carb applications on LS motors can easily make more hp than efi because of this.
The cam design, intake, spark control, efi are designed to generate high cylinder pressures at low rpm. Even a 400hp LS cam uses 116 LSA. That combined with gearing (under 2:1 overall) gives you the 400 hp with 25+mpg. Sequential port injection was designed to give optimal fuel delivery at these low rpms.
More recently things like variable valve timing have been added to optimize both aspects. Increased gears in the trans allows for lower shifts to increase mileage. Active fuel management to shut down cylinders. Now direct fuel injection in the new LT1 allows higher compression to make more hp and torque throughout the rpm range, increasing both hp and mileage.
If you bolt on a $2k efi you'll probably get a little better mileage than a poorly tuned Holley or worn Qjet, but don't expect it to turn it into an LS motor."
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
What's an "adjustable part throttle" on a Qjet?
Info for you.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...APT.29_setting
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Oops, getting old, forgetting about carbs...actually never adjusted that in a Qjet, they were always really good in metering the primary circuit.
But I do agree optimizing the carb and spark is certainly much more cost effective.
Originally Posted by Seff
Old April 11th, 2022, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ostie13
I put a FAST EZ EFI on my Toronado.Fast was one of the first system out there.So far I love it.The car starts right up.I haven't been able to get it out on the road because I am having brake issues.Hopefully I will get that resolved today and I can get it out on the road so the ECU can learn.Its very simple to program and it has a hand held unit to make adjustments for fine tuning. It has an O2 sensor so it will need to connected to the exhaust.
Brake issues because of vacuum?
I got a 455 EZ EFI im throwing in, I was warned about vacuum issues because of no more carb!
Old April 11th, 2022, 09:12 PM

You're replying to a 9 year old thread, but changing from carb to throttle body EFI shouldn't effect your vacuum. Changing the cam would, but the fuel delivery system shouldn't.