330 Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM

330 Motor Mounts

I appologize if this is been covered before, but a search of the froums did not yield the results I need. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling out the V6 Buick someone had installed in my wife's 64 Cutlass and installing the 330 I rebuilt (yes, the numbers indicate it was a V8 car). Dropping the V8 in, I can't get the motor mounts to go over the mount perches on the crossmember. Thinking we got the wrong mounts, I reinstalled the ones that came off the 330, and they still won't go in. I can get one mount in and install the bolt, but the mount is resting on top of the other perch.

Now I'm assuming the perches were changed when the V6 was installed. Measuring the height of the perches from crossmember to face (not bolt hole) is 2 inches. Addtionally, the perches are much narrower than the gap between the two ears on the mount--a butt load of washers fell out when I pulled the V6. Are the mounts supposed to be shimmed front to rear? I called Joel in Red Bluff, CA (where we had found a lot of out missing 330 parts), but he does not have any cars without engines, and no perches loose. Any sources or suggestions welcome.

dieselmann
(ponitac1's other half)
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pontiac1
I appologize if this is been covered before, but a search of the froums did not yield the results I need. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling out the V6 Buick someone had installed in my wife's 64 Cutlass and installing the 330 I rebuilt (yes, the numbers indicate it was a V8 car). Dropping the V8 in, I can't get the motor mounts to go over the mount perches on the crossmember. Thinking we got the wrong mounts, I reinstalled the ones that came off the 330, and they still won't go in. I can get one mount in and install the bolt, but the mount is resting on top of the other perch.

Now I'm assuming the perches were changed when the V6 was installed. Measuring the height of the perches from crossmember to face (not bolt hole) is 2 inches. Addtionally, the perches are much narrower than the gap between the two ears on the mount--a butt load of washers fell out when I pulled the V6. Are the mounts supposed to be shimmed front to rear? I called Joel in Red Bluff, CA (where we had found a lot of out missing 330 parts), but he does not have any cars without engines, and no perches loose. Any sources or suggestions welcome.

dieselmann
(ponitac1's other half)
The Buick V6 frame mounts are completely different from the Olds V8 mounts. Unfortunately, you need a set of 64-69 frame mounts.
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM

330 Motor Mounts

Thanks, but we had already figured on that. Do you know if the big block frame mounts OPGI sells (P/N C240246) will work?
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pontiac1
Thanks, but we had already figured on that. Do you know if the big block frame mounts OPGI sells (P/N C240246) will work?
They will work so long as you use the matching big block rubber motor mounts. Anchor P/N 2328 should work for the motor mounts. I would just think that used SBO frame mounts would be much less expensive. In fact, the 70-72 SBO frame mounts are dimensionally equivalent to the earlier ones, they just look a little different. Anchor P/N 2261 motor mounts match the SBO frame mounts.
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM

OK, thanks for the help.
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Another member here had 64 frame mounts, but he ran into some problems and was unable to ship them out to me. I found a set of 68/69 442/Cutlass frame mounts for a 350 (according to his ad) on eBay. Got them bolted in (after the crossmember swallowed a couple of the bolts), the new mounts bolted up to the engine and dropped the 330 in. Driver side through bolt went in with some rocking, passenger side went in after using a tapered bar to align the holes. I was expecting to have to fight it based on some of the posts here. Now we're making progress again.

dieselmann