1983 hurstolds 307

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:28 AM

1983 hurstolds 307

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded there 307 I'm not looking to make it a horsepower monster just to make it a little something more than it is now I believe Edelbrock makes an after market intake and changing the carb would be nice I believe I read somewhere that you cant do these things with out changing the distributor something about it controlling the carb. so if ant one has made these changes with any luck I would love to know how and what you did looking to change intake carb and add headers thanks

needs a little more power

Last edited by oldsdriver1218; March 9th, 2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add picture
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM
delete

You have a computer controlled carb, dist, & transmission. If you want to start making changes you'll need to change the carb & dist together & get a TV cable for the transmission. Honestly it prob won't net much of a perf increase w/out other changes.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

It doesn't appear that you are selling this car, so I moved your thread to the Small Block subforum.

Your 307 has the Computer Command Control system. CCC controls the primary mixture of the carb, the timing, and converter lockup. It also controls the emissions equipment (EGR valve, evap cannister purge, vacuum break, A.I.R. switching and diverter valves). On an 83, the ECU does not control the A/C compressor, however.

If you replace the carb, you will eliminate the throttle position sensor, so nothing that's computer controlled will work anymore. That means that you are forced to also replace the distributor and come up with another way to operate the converter lockup function. Of course, you'll also need to disable all the emissions equipment that is computer controlled as well.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:17 AM

There are things you can do, but not many without tearing into the engine. It needs more compression and better breathing. Headers are a big improvement. Don't waste your time with the Edelbrock intake, I did on mine and it caused issues like making the cruise linkage unusable.

I cut the heads to get to 8.8:1 compression, mildly ported them with larger valves, ran a 208/206 flat tappet cam on a 108LSA, American Racing headers, 2.5" true duals, kept the CCC system active with tuning changes, and the car ran 14.27@93 mph. Put a 2700 stall converter in it to get off the line quicker. It was "quick" but by no means fast. Mostly gear would get it to the 1/8 mile, then the last half of the track was a snooze fest. Car was still full weight with working A/C, T-tops, etc...

Really, the cam needed more exhaust duration (no power over 5000 RPM), and the car could have used some more compression. I was also finding CCC limitations... with a cam swap and CCC delete it probably could have seen 13's.
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
There are things you can do, but not many without tearing into the engine. It needs more compression and better breathing. Headers are a big improvement. Don't waste your time with the Edelbrock intake, I did on mine and it caused issues like making the cruise linkage unusable.

I cut the heads to get to 8.8:1 compression, mildly ported them with larger valves, ran a 208/206 flat tappet cam on a 108LSA, American Racing headers, 2.5" true duals, kept the CCC system active with tuning changes, and the car ran 14.27@93 mph. Put a 2700 stall converter in it to get off the line quicker. It was "quick" but by no means fast. Mostly gear would get it to the 1/8 mile, then the last half of the track was a snooze fest. Car was still full weight with working A/C, T-tops, etc...

Really, the cam needed more exhaust duration (no power over 5000 RPM), and the car could have used some more compression. I was also finding CCC limitations... with a cam swap and CCC delete it probably could have seen 13's.
what headers are you running I know there's not to many choices
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It doesn't appear that you are selling this car, so I moved your thread to the Small Block subforum.

Your 307 has the Computer Command Control system. CCC controls the primary mixture of the carb, the timing, and converter lockup. It also controls the emissions equipment (EGR valve, evap cannister purge, vacuum break, A.I.R. switching and diverter valves). On an 83, the ECU does not control the A/C compressor, however.

If you replace the carb, you will eliminate the throttle position sensor, so nothing that's computer controlled will work anymore. That means that you are forced to also replace the distributor and come up with another way to operate the converter lockup function. Of course, you'll also need to disable all the emissions equipment that is computer controlled as well.
thanks for moving my thread was not paying attention where I was when I posted it
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldsdriver1218
what headers are you running I know there's not to many choices
American racing headers
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:33 PM

American racing headers
thanks
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:52 PM

American racing headers
wow those are expensive seems like a lot of money for a set of headers its not going on a racecar just a driver
Old March 10th, 2016, 04:23 AM

Couple things-

- Very nice looking car, your wheels look fantastic.
- With a header back system exhaust system I was able to eek out a 15.3 @ 91 with my 307.

-These headers are fine, I've been running them for years. You need a smaller oil filter and the cross member needs some massaging (this, according my the gentlemen that does my exhaust work).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/he...cutlass-calais

The AM Racers are fantastic but not for a budget build. If you're going to upgrade the headers- do the whole exhaust. I've run h-pipes and x-pipes and I prefer the X, if you need to pass emissions testing; Magnaflow makes a fantastic cat that can be very easily modified for clearance issues.
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The stock exhaust sucks, especially the converter forward. It will sound better too. Sanderson 1 5/8" shorties and 2.25" custom exhaust might be better for a 307 HO. A Street Demon 625 carb with the proper TV bracket and non computer HEI distributor would work Ok. Honestly you will gain very little, IF the CCC system is working properly. You can change the factory carb secondary metering rods and hanger without affecting the computer. You will need an O2 bung put in your collector and it should work better in the shorty header without a heated O2 conversion.
Old March 10th, 2016, 07:33 AM

thanks for all the suggestions all good headers and full exhaust seems the way to go for now