1983 Oldsmobile 98 307 Overheated

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2014, 08:25 AM
1983 Oldsmobile 98 Coup

1983 Oldsmobile 98 307 Overheated

White smoke was coming from my hood, thus I limped the car home using neutral as much as possible. Apon opening the hood the coolant was bubbling, I took off the cap to quicken the process as it spewed out of the container.

I'm trying to get this car to run reliably. As I looked around I noticed one of the belts was missing and another one had came off a pulley and was flipped over.

I think the top pulley is for the AC but I'm not sure what the bottom pulleys are for.

I cannot find where this connector goes to:

This hose is completely disconnected at one end, it attaches to the orange piece.

Last edited by TeamXlink; October 20th, 2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Put in image tags.
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by TeamXlink
White smoke was coming from my hood...
This would be a good time to stop the car and let it cool off, rather than driving it.

I took off the cap to quicken the process as it spewed out of the container.
Bad idea.
  1. You can get a nasty burn (just ask Copper).
  2. By opening the system, you reduce the pressure in the system, which allows the coolant at the interface between the hottest spots on the heads to boil away, leaving nothing to effectively draw the heat away, and allowing a greater heat differential to develop between different parts of the engine, thus making head warpage and head gasket failure more likely.

... one of the belts was missing and another one had came off a pulley and was flipped over.
The engine will tend to overheat without any belts attached to the water pump.
This is an easy fix on the side of the road, especially considering the possibility of destroying the engine if you keep driving it.

I think the top pulley is for the AC but I'm not sure what the bottom pulleys are for.
From the bottom:
  • Crankshaft
  • Water pump (directly above crankshaft)
  • AIR pump (to the passenger side of the water pump)
  • Power steering pump (to the driver's side of the water pump)
  • A/C compressor (high and to the passenger side)

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Put your belts back on.
If the AC belt was in place, it would have carried some of the load of driving the water pump and whatnot.

Put the vacuum hose back on. Well, replace that [and all?] with fresh hose.

The green electrical I think is the thing you ground in order to tell the computer you are setting the base timing now. Not sure though. In that area, it might be for the AC idle kicker solenoid. The wiring diagram in the chassis service manual should help. Surely you have one of those, or access via wildaboutcars.com?
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Now would be a good time to get a Chassis Service Manual for your car. The computer-controlled carb on your 307 requires that all the vacuum hoses be correctly installed and in good shape to run properly. Also, there are nearly no mechanics who have the knowledge or patience to properly adjust this system any more and you MUST follow the factory adjustment process EXACTLY.

I cannot find where this connector goes to:

It doesn't. That's a test connector used for adjusting the carb. Don't worry about it.
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
The green electrical I think is the thing you ground in order to tell the computer you are setting the base timing now.
Nope. That's where you connect a dwell meter to read duty cycle on the mixture control solenoid.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:54 AM
1983 Oldsmobile 98 Coup

Originally Posted by Octania
Put your belts back on.
If the AC belt was in place, it would have carried some of the load of driving the water pump and whatnot.

Put the vacuum hose back on. Well, replace that [and all?] with fresh hose.

The green electrical I think is the thing you ground in order to tell the computer you are setting the base timing now. Not sure though. In that area, it might be for the AC idle kicker solenoid. The wiring diagram in the chassis service manual should help. Surely you have one of those, or access via wildaboutcars.com?
Where does the vacuum hose connect to?

I cannot access the manual at wildaboutcars.com. Paypal will not accept my card number.

EDIT: I've sorted out my Paypal, in 48 hours I will be able to use it to for wildaboutcars.com!

Thank you very much, every one for the help and welcomes!

Last edited by TeamXlink; October 20th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Where does the vacuum hose connect to?
Time for a little common sense. That hose is less than two inches long. If it's not attached to anything at the moment, then there is a male vacuum port within two inches of it that also has nothing attached to it at the moment. You might want to look a little more closely at that part of the engine. That's not a very large search pattern.
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I cannot access the manual at wildaboutcars.com. Paypal will not accept my card number.
I don't think WildAboutCars has a copy of your manual.

You need to get an actual paper one.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I don't think WildAboutCars has a copy of your manual.

You need to get an actual paper one.

- Eric
There are currently over a dozen on ebay, with current prices starting at under $3. Be sure you get the manual that covers the Ninety Eight, as there are separate manuals for the FWD cars that look exactly the same. You will also need the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and the Fisher Body Manual.