Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

this site is frustrating,,,why?

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Z3d
Super User

This guy is obviously a complainer. If it's so bad why do you continue to post? Just stay on the forums that are setup they way you like it or host your own forum.

People like this guy really anoy me. If you dont like the multiple forums use the search option. In any event, I vote that you get banned!
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM
car guy

OK guys and girls no reason you make GMRocket not feel welcome because you disagree with his opinion. Thats what the site suggestions is for.

As for the computer glitch issues I think the problem is on his side but the layout issues I don't completely disagree with him. When I first joined it was a lot worse and I do think its much better now. That being said my personal opinion is there still could be a few tweaks made. For those of us that are here all the time its not too much of an issue just keeping up with the new posts button. Someone comming in blind and may just be browsing through threads then I can see how there is overlap in some sections. I even have to think twice about where to put something sometimes.

I also try to move threads as I see fit. If anyone sees a tread you think would be better suited in another place don't hesitate to PM me about it.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by gmrocket
ya, we figured that out. its only infected on here..on other sites its lighting fast.,so i'll have to live with it
well that's funny unless the other site have less to download an i mean the page an what not i would see no reason for this site to run slow for you...I do believe its on your end. 1 out 40 post say its slow so that speaks for its self.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Z3d
Super User

I hear you gearheads78 but what is the guy really suggesting? Anyway, I will kindly exit this thread.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

get off the net and go finish that w-31
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
olds..older..oldest

Encore

Already commented on this thread,but with the wave of negativity rolling through, felt compelled to "chirp' once again.After27+ years looking after 4-5000 patients in my medical practice,I learned long ago that you can't keep everybody happy, and also, some people apparently don't WANT to be happy! The moderators,administrators and members of this site have,as usual ,been gracious and helpful in dealing with the issues and complaints raised on this thread. In a time where everyones bitching about real or perceived problems,just wanted them to know that they deserve kudos for a job - well -done.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Well as far as a possible cause for slow typing...

My guess as to what is causing your lag is the spell checker feature. Without researching: I'm 99% sure vBulletin uses client side javascript code to parse all the the text you enter into the webform and checks it against a dictionary list of words. The javascript itself would be running on your local hardware. (Which usually makes stuff faster since your internet connection is taken out of the equation, though if it is pinging a remote dictionary list with ajax calls connection speed would still be a factor).

-You might try un-checking the "Automatically parse links in text" (Long shot)
-There also might be forum preference settings to disable spell check (I didn't look)
-Since each browser has its own aggravatingly unique javascript engine you might try a different browser see if the problem still occurs. Even if you do it as a test, it could greatly narrow down the cause of the anomaly.

Also, What browser are you using? What version is it? What settings are enabled? Trust me, it ALL matters.

As for sub forum paradigms, here is my opinion: The suggestion to make fewer divisions doesn't make sense to me. Here is my crappy analogy of why:

Right now we have a box full of marbles. And within that box all the marbles are sorted into jars based on the color of the marble. (ie a jar for blue marbles, a jar for red marbles, etc..)

Sure, we could do away with the jars and dump all the colors straight into the box so we could see all the colors at the same time.

But what about when we "only" want to pull out and look at all the pretty green marbles?

We would no longer have that option without the jars/divisions.

That being said, it really boils down to whether a person is browsing for information or searching for information. Having lots of sub-forums may indeed lessen the browse-ability of the site, but IMHO it is totally worth it as it enhances the search-ability of the site ten fold...WWGD (What Would GOOGLE Do)

Okay and cue the "Lost my marbles" jokes...

Last edited by Coltonis; October 20th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Also, What browser are you using? What version is it? What settings are enabled? Trust me, it ALL matters.
This point is a big factor just now with V-Bulletin, being viewed on all manner of machines and OS's and connections. Boards have been tuning and tweaking left and right, to try and keep the speed optimized. I am having great luck quickly viewing this and other boards with IE8 on my older PC, make sure you have the latest browser your machine and OS will run. The 'compatabilty view' button next to URL dropdown at top in IE8 allows you to toggle back and forth viewing sites which might be last years model, possibly obtaining better results.

I'm not concerned with how any board on any hobby topic is set up, I use it, that's that. As far a narrow topic focus, this board doesn't seem to orbit around a center of chain-sawing Oldsmobile cars, and when guys want to talk that over, they are made to run the gauntlet with a fair share of kneecapping. The mods tolerate some of it, that seems to be the tone of the board, first towards history and preservation, I like that. It's a good balance here - CW

Last edited by coldwar; October 20th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Thank you for your suggestions. We try to keep things in a row around here.
I suggest all of you make knowledge contributions to the Oldsmobile wiki. Eventually, there shouldn't have to be questions about 37' slant sixes on here.
Gmrocket is a very sharp guy and we could all learn something from each other's experience.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Membership Revoked by Admin

Originally Posted by Z3d
This guy is obviously a complainer. If it's so bad why do you continue to post? Just stay on the forums that are setup they way you like it or host your own forum.

People like this guy really anoy me. If you dont like the multiple forums use the search option. In any event, I vote that you get banned!
this is the "site suggestions" forum. these are suggestions. your response is a direct complaint about me..who's the complainer? your mind is closed&i vote you get banned for that reason. take another look back at how many said there are some issues with what i'm talking about.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Z3d
I hear you gearheads78 but what is the guy really suggesting? Anyway, I will kindly exit this thread.
good idea, no need to get yourself all worked up about what this is about

Last edited by gmrocket; October 22nd, 2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: k
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by agtw31
get off the net and go finish that w-31
i'm working on it..but i end up drinking too much beer&falling down

Last edited by gmrocket; October 23rd, 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: ok
Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
is Fast Enough ...

I'm stuck using my old ladies' vista and this site is always logged on ...

But my EXP platform keeps logging me off ...

I say the ratio of whiners here is low ...

I don't use it, but is there an ignore feature ..?

Last edited by mugzilla; October 23rd, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM

huh?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM

OK I'll be blunt...Are you trying to set people here off? Cause this song is getting old. Yes there are issues here. Yes some people don't like each other. Life sucks all over. Get over it. In my experience this is as good as it gets. It would seem others feel the same. You are welcome to make your own judgments, but you may want to start toning the whining down. If you have a legitimate problem OMICRON is the tech guru. He has already offered to help you. What seems to be the continuing issue? This is a forum for adults who share a common passion...OLDSMOBILE. Complaining does not move that passion forward.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
is Fast Enough ...

huh?
(*o*) ...
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thank you csstrux. This board has and will continue to run very smoothly. It is time for this thread to be done. Stick a fork in it.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Just A BaBy {:

i'm working on it..but i end up drinking too much beer&falling down

Well i say drink the beer in the car,I would consider that as working in the car
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
OK I'll be blunt...Are you trying to set people here off? Cause this song is getting old. Yes there are issues here. Yes some people don't like each other. Life sucks all over. Get over it. In my experience this is as good as it gets. It would seem others feel the same. You are welcome to make your own judgments, but you may want to start toning the whining down. If you have a legitimate problem OMICRON is the tech guru. He has already offered to help you. What seems to be the continuing issue? This is a forum for adults who share a common passion...OLDSMOBILE. Complaining does not move that passion forward.
maybe you should vote to ban me like Z3d? life doesnt suck, never said it did. i'm trying to help you ,dont you undertand that? if your quite pleased with info getting misplaced&responses at 1/10 of what they could be, then keep everything the way it is&dont visit "site suggestions" this it to make it better. i get a kick out of how you say its for adults who share a common passion for OLDSMOBILE. with such fragmented forums it "doesnt" share very much does it? and as far as being an adult, you sure dont sound like one&i'll bet i'm way older than you are
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

maybe you should vote to ban me like Z3d? life doesnt suck, never said it did. i'm trying to help you ,dont you undertand that? if your quite pleased with info getting misplaced&responses at 1/10 of what they could be, then keep everything the way it is&dont visit "site suggestions" this it to make it better. i get a kick out of how you say its for adults who share a common passion for OLDSMOBILE. with such fragmented forums it "doesnt" share very much does it? and as far as being an adult, you sure dont sound like one&i'll bet i'm way older than you are
Ok, let me make this clearer. You heard it first from other members and instead of listening, got more strident. Then you get it from a mod, and chose instead of listening to go after him now. Many members have explained why things are the way are, and many have offered to help, and you keep at it. So here it is:

Time to let it go and move on. Fragmented forums too much for you? Fine, find another site to hang out. The constant carping is going no where at this point, and is getting old. Let it go please. Last warning. Thanks for your cooperation.

Keep it up and you've outed yourself as a troll (someone on the internet who just likes to start fights). Let it go and be the nice guy I think we all sense and we can put this beind us. Perhaps you can even help us design a better way. But either way, the sniper attacks stop now. Ok?
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Omicron
Ok, let me make this clearer. You heard it first from other members and instead of listening, got more strident. Then you get it from a mod, and chose instead of listening to go after him now. Many members have explained why things are the way are, and many have offered to help, and you keep at it. So here it is:

Time to let it go and move on. Fragmented forums too much for you? Fine, find another site to hang out. The constant carping is going no where at this point, and is getting old. Let it go please. Last warning. Thanks for your cooperation.

Keep it up and you've outed yourself as a troll (someone on the internet who just likes to start fights). Let it go and be the nice guy I think we all sense and we can put this beind us. Perhaps you can even help us design a better way. But either way, the sniper attacks stop now. Ok?
Z3d turned this post around, not me. i've been called a whiner, complainer, annoying&now a sniper..he asked to have me banned. i've kept my cool considering all this mud slinging at me.i attacked no one&put my thoughts out there as to some site suggestion,,in site suggestions. it seems this site is set up for people to "hang out" daily. i dont have time for that. i came here to learn&offer help, but i see i dont fit into the click. i will not come back&please remove my name from the members list because its an embarrassment to have my name associated with this site.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Really going to miss old gmrocket. Sure we are. Adios.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Z3d turned this post around, not me. i've been called a whiner, complainer, annoying&now a sniper..he asked to have me banned. i've kept my cool considering all this mud slinging at me.i attacked no one&put my thoughts out there as to some site suggestion,,in site suggestions. it seems this site is set up for people to "hang out" daily. i dont have time for that. i came here to learn&offer help, but i see i dont fit into the click. i will not come back&please remove my name from the members list because its an embarrassment to have my name associated with this site.
The only "clique" we have here is asking people to play nice and by the rules. Share your knowledge? Of what, how to snip constantly at how a site is organized? I have yet to see a single contribution other than bitching and trying to stir the pot. We don't need that kind of contribution. Thanks for making this easy on us by outing yourself. If you can't play nice, then so be it, you're gone. BuBye.