Why do you use this Site?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Past Administrator

Exclamation Why do you use this Site?

I was just wondering.....Why do you use this site. I was looking at the members list and there are a LOT of members with zero or just one post and that single post is a question (answered or not). Please respond as I am trying to get an idea on how many people check this site out daily and why there isn't more activity on it.
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I used this site because Im interested in Oldsmobiles of all kinds and like to see whats going on....I have to say that I rarely post anymore on any site because someone always contradicts what is said in a post. Im tired of trying to help people with a reply and then have someone say....no this way is better or that is not the right way. Instead of posting to the question with their thoughts or advice, they post a reply to a reply.....Ive had enough of it for the most part. While I dont know everything I do have 35 years of wrenching on Oldsmobiles....and feel I can offer good advice but now leave it to the "experts" to reply to questions.
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM

I also joined this site as a fan of Oldsmobile in general. I drive an alero and belong to Aleromod.com which is a much more complete site for just aleros...but I also own 3 1958 oldsmobiles and my dad has 9 other Oldsmobiles between 1957 and 1966 so I'm a huge fan and was looking for a site that was broader, thus here I am. It is unfortunate that it is fairly sleepy around here
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks for the replies. Oldsmaniac, I here you and have experienced the same thing. I think you would agree thought that this site isn't quite as bad. We can always use you kind of experience and it is welcome. Please feel free to contribute whenever you feel your experience would help. Coldfire, I am very excited about Oldsmobiles as well. I own a '69 Delta, a '48 Sixty series (my project car), a '76 Omega (daily driver), and countless others in the past. I love Oldsmobiles. BTW, you might checkout the H.A.M.B website http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
those guys are into older hotrods and Kustoms and may have some usefull information for you concerning the older Oldsmobiles. I go there often.
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I have just bought my 1st olds and so am new to this site. I was previously into VW's and have many. Last year I bought a firebird, and my love for american cars began !! (I am in the UK). I have ordered the repro shop manual for my 67 toronado, so I may be able to help other posters in the future.

Rich
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Master of Time & Space (?)

I am new to this site(2 days now) and I "ragged" pretty heavily on someone there about too much "computer speak" for the older guys(the ones with
all the experience and free advice to offer).The webmaster probably had
a good chuckle with his latte from Starbutts.
Is it really necessary to use terms like "avatar" in place of the word "picture"?
We are all very impressed by the "high falootin' " terms that are used on
this site,but they confuse,obfiscate and otherwise annoy potential users.
How about just regular folks English?
A site that is easy to use (no avatar buttons or vbb and other nebulous terms) like the Flathead Ford Forum,is a info resource that everyone loves
to use.
I am into the 50's Oldsmobiles myself .
Mickey3d
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I am in hopes that this forum will become more lively also. I'm a member on fullsizebronco.com and there is alot of information there. A few of the guys must spend their whole day on there, but it really benefits the new people. There's writeups of mods on there, like replacing Ford's try at independent suspension with an older solid axle, replacing trannies, etc. The writeups are are thorough with many links and pictures. There are areas to post about everyday things like what we see on TV and what not too.

Last edited by daverbmxer; March 15th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Past Administrator

Well guys, I am a regular member of this site and another that specializes in pre '64 Kustoms and hot rods. I also lurk at an Oldsmobile performance site. All three provide different information and have a different flavor. I agree that this site is fairly sparsely populated compared to other sites. All the posts combined on this one would only fill one day's worth of activity on the ohter sites, no kiddin! Look at it this way, this place is still relatively in it's infancy and we may have an opportunity to make it into what we would like to see. All it takes is constant participation and input. Let's see what we come up with.

Oh Mickey3d, I can relate to your frustration, I may have commented on this before but also remember, someone that has no knowledge of cars may get frustrated when we refer to a bent centerlink causing your front tires to scuff abnormally and ask us to use simple words like the middle stick thingy makes the tires rub wrong..................
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I am new to Old's restoration. Been mostly a Chevy man but love classic Old's to. Looks like a great site to gather info and meet others. Looking foward to the fun here! Long day's and pleasent nights!
Rocco
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:25 AM

Knowledge is everything

I belong to every Olds group I can find and the H.A.M.B. If I can learn a scrap of information that will help me understand the whys, wheres and hows of these great older machines then it makes me feel better. Plus knowing that there are others out there that have the same questions as you and have already traveled the road you are on is reassuring. I think that in todays so called information age that a lot of people are intimidated by the fact that they just don't know something so they don't ask. Plus back in the day you could not drive down the street on a weekend and not see guys under the hood or cars sitting on blocks in the driveway. Today you take the car to the nice clean shop with the sale on so you can get a warranty. Some people may be wrong on there replies but at least they are trying to help. That is why the forum needs to have replies and counter replies so that all can help and teach each other. There are more than two ways to skin a cat. Thanks
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:12 AM

I agree that this forum can be helpful to folks that may be a little bit timid to
post questions they think may sound stupid.Let's all try to encourage these
guys by making our posts as understandable as possible to the people that
don't know the nomenclature and the buzz words yet.
I would also suggest that we try not to use the "private message" tool unless
we are sending things like our personal email address or the like.If we send a
private message in response to a question,then only one person benifits.
I am personally guilty of this mistake.I sent a critical bit of info on early Olds
engine building to Dan,the moderator,and as far as I can tell he is the only
one that got to see it.
Also...Dan,if you're watching,is there any chance we could have a catagory
like maybe "50's Oldsmobiles"? This seems like a logical catagory to me since
the engines,drivetrains and the chassis are all similar.A thoughtful catagory
name would yeild more hits on this site from google searches,etc.
Surely the early Olds deserves a category if the Allero(?) deserves one,right?
I don't even know what that is (maybe I should!).
MickeyD
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Past Administrator

Really good point Mickey. I will see if admin can do that, or maybe I can, I don't even know how to fully use the "abilities" of my responsibility as moderator. As some may already know, I got this job by sort of default and am not too computer literate. Again, good point.........
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM

I joined just other day. I am restoring a 1971 Olds convertible. It was through this site that I found a set of front seats. I also met guy from San Antonio who has the same car and has been very helpful.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM

I visit this thread to try and find out all I can about my '53 Olds.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the early 50's Olds - mainly a lot of newer stuff (442's, Aleros, Cutlass, etc).
I agree with Mickey3d: I'd like to have a place to go and get responses for the early 50's Olds cars.
This is my first Olds and I'm sorta lost on a lot of the things I'm coming up against. The shop manual leaves a lot to be desired and it would be great to talk with someone who has worked on one of these cars personally.
Hopefully, the site will grow and get more interest from those who are restoring these older cars.
Casey
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM

I belong to Aleromod.com and also 3 chapters of OCA including being the Sec of the Alero chapter. I helped to put together that show before homecomming that you may have read about in the October issue of JWO. The red Alero, the second car in, is mine, and the engine pic of the 3400 is my motor.

I joined because where Aleromod is a great source of info on the Alero, I want to learn more about my Delta 88 that I bought last year. I know next to nothing about carb'ed cars. I joined b-body.org to help me there but questions I asked back in July, are still unanswered That's not working for me.

Plus I know a lot about my Alero, so I can help out as much as I can be helped
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Past Administrator

Redog, I get the feeling that there aren't many B body owners out there. Not surprised to here about the poor participation at that website although your post might have slipped through the cracks. I found a question on this site that was unanswered for quite a while, I just don't see them if they aren't on the first page usually. I guess it depends on how the site is organized. Anyway, tell me about your Delta. I own a '69 that I have a played around with for about 8 years.
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM

hay guys.
here in holland,its olmost impossible to drive a american car because off the gigantic fuel prices,tax,etc...
but only when the car is 25years old,the car is tax free.
so then its intresting to have a oldtimer,but only when you can do things yourself.
thats why im looking here for tips and techs.
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM

sorry pusht the wrong button,,,,
im not sutch a computerfraek as well..
but its not that i dont love oldsmobile,i just ouwn one yet..
i just love those american classics between the 60s and 80s,in all shapes and models..but for now,i just want to share experions whith this type off cars..
and thats why here on this olds forum..so greetings from holland
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:01 AM

hey guys and gals, i try to check once or twice a week depending on work and kids sced.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hello I do check this site probably every other day. I have quite a few Olds, about 15 if I count project & parts cars also. I think 11 are 88/98's so I do like the bigger cars. This site is more bgger car orinated, so I like that. I have a lot of big car's parts and I sell some. The bad thing about the "big" Olds' is they don't repop the parts for these cars. That being so I hate to scrap good stuff but on the other hand one can keep only so much before zoning gets after them. Been there, done that. Plus it is a lot of work pulling a dash or spindles off and then having people want it for the scrap price. I have mentioned this site on ROP and I think a few have joined it. I think there should be an OPEN forum to talk about Olds or anything in general. Thanks for the site, Ken
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:11 PM

I use this because I am new to the Oldsmobile marque (having always had Mopar) and have been getting information about my '63 Dynamic
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM

why i use this site..

i use this site because it works all the time and when i ask a question i always get an answer and its always trustworthy advise or it sets me in the right direction as i am not an expert in the olds line of cars but i always enjoy learning and responding with the things i do know plus this site is so much better than the wife nagging at me...crap gotta go....i have to do the dishes
Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

I'm getting ready to restore my 72 Supreme and it has been a great source of reading of back questions and articles. I have found some info repeated off of other sites (www.442.com for example). I also frequent another Olds forum and have seen that others do to. I live in Chevy country so having an Olds and finding parts is not that easy. Most of the scrap yards here have crushed thier old Olds stuff. I can find Chevy, Pontiac and MOPAR stuff all day long. Olds Buick non existant. So another reason I like this type of site is to get my hands on parts. I am a huge fan of the barter system!! :-)

Anyone need some 70-72 Cutlass parts?? :-)

John
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM

DAN i just found your site i think it's a good one i am on 5 other sites and surf on 4 others and you have a good one i think many people don't post because they might be wrong with an answer and don't want others to make fun of them.??? tim
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Why do I use this site?

Hi All,

I just joined today. I have a 57 Super 88 and need all the help I can get...being new to the restoration game. Thanks.
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site! Hope we can help you with whatever assistance you need. Your car is pretty cool looking! Hope you enjoy our site.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM

I am a new member although Ive dropped in for about a year. i have really enjoyed a lot of the threads and good natured ribbing of the hardcore members. would love to see more pics of your cars and will be posting some of my 62 starfire in the near future
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM

Smile

Hi,
I lurk at a couple of other sites, but have only joined this one. I like seeing what others are doing with their Oldsmobiles. I also joined to get help when I need it from those with skills and experience I don't have. Maybe find or sell some parts or literature, etc. I have been an Olds guy since I got my first project (69 442 convertible) at 16. Haven't had much time to be involved in the hobby the last 20 years or so, but I am getting back into it now and intend to stay with it. Keep being friendly everybody! I see enough sniping on some of those otehr boards. In answer to some of the other questions in the thread, I visit most days, sometimes more than once. And, my post count is slowly going up as I get more comfortable with the group here (and when I feel I have something to contribute).
Cheers.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM

I Prefer this site to another well known olds site that I also belong to because ( 1.) when you ask a question, someone almost always answers with good advice or can direct to you the information that you are seeking. (2.) It is very easy to post pictures, you don't have to use a photo hosting website. (3.) People on here are generally respectful and considerate and for the most part do not engage in verbally abusive and devaluing behavior towards individuals with different perspectives and points of view. I come here several times a day, and when I can help someone with what little knowledge I posess, I try to do that.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM

I prefer this site to the other olds site I vistit because you can post a specific part by brand or a suppliers name and the post doesn't get deleted. I find it frustrating on the other site when you are looking for a part and no one is allowed to tell you where to get it. Also I like diversity on this site, its not just the most popular body styles being discussed. Any Olds is a good Olds
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM

Am I the only one who noticed the original question was now 2 1/2 years old?

Last edited by 59-59-59; November 23rd, 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Am I the only one who noticed the original question was now 2 1/2 years old?
I noticed too, but that is ok. It is good to get information like this.
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
69CuttyS

First time I've seen it, so here's my take:
I use this site to absorb expert info from fellow members, to look at cool pics of cool cars, and just to learn stuff that I didn't know (and stuff that I didn't know that I didn't know).
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Past Administrator

I'm kinda glad this thread got raised from the dead. Interesting to see some more replies.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM
car guy

I am on a few sites some Olds and some not Olds related.

I liked the fact that my build and ideas about cars was not bombarded by its a mortal sin to not build a car 100% factory original. Can't say the same about another Olds site when I first joined. A lot of them are comming around though now. I have showed some of them the light.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM

i post because i love olds muscle cars. i agree the knowledge that some of you guys have benefits myself as well as others. i love to see pics of cars, it motivates me to not giveup, at least for that day. i sometimes can't tell when a thread was posted so i respond to a post thats 3 years old. but all in all i love communicating with other olds owners.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Alb

Hi,
I also saw that this orignal post was a little on the old side but, it's neat reading what people have to say. In all I think it's a good site to get info off of. Just one more thing. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
Alb
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
ROCKETeer

was hoping to find someone who knows what im doing wrong lol.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Thumbs up I check in as much as I can!

Oldsguy!
I like to post pictures and ask questions. There is still a lot of people out there who owned these cars when they first came out. It's so important to get in touch with some people who have worked on these machines! My transmission was rebuilt by my good friend's dad who worked on many many hot rods and ran a shop back in the day. He's in his 70's and still loves working on these cars!
I'm still working on my Super 88 and I just bought another 56 Rocket 88 to put back together!
Any information about 50's Rockets is good information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1956-rocket-88.jpg (79.8 KB, 8 views)
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM

I dont post much on this forum because their is mainly questions about the older Olds cars and drive trains which I know nothing about. I try not to comment on those types of questions because I hate giving wrong info. But, I am learning a little bit more about these cars every time I read the posts. I am only 22 years old and have never dealt with really old cars, I am actually more comfortable with modern fuel injection than carbs. Their is a lot of very knowledgable people on this site and I feel that I learn something new everytime I come to this site.

Quick Reply: Why do you use this Site?