Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

"Forum requires 5 seconds between searches"

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2024 | 02:33 PM

What's the fix for an android that's not using chrome?
Old October 14th, 2024 | 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Robb M.
To change your Google Chrome prefetch settings on Android phone, open the Chrome app.

Tap the menu button (three dots), go to "Settings" > "Privacy and security" > "Preload pages", and then select your desired prefetch option.

You can choose to either enable or disable prefetching and sometimes select the level of prefetching depending on your preference.
This appears to have cleared the issue on my Win11 / Chrome setup.
Old October 14th, 2024 | 04:36 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I fail to see what it matters what anybody is running. This BS just pops up all of a sudden on all different systems. I wonder if it will ever get fixed. To think it is the fault of somebody's system is ludicrous.
Old October 14th, 2024 | 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robb M.
To change your Google Chrome prefetch settings on Android phone, open the Chrome app.

Tap the menu button (three dots), go to "Settings" > "Privacy and security" > "Preload pages", and then select your desired prefetch option.

You can choose to either enable or disable prefetching and sometimes select the level of prefetching depending on your preference.
I have a Samsung Galaxy and use Chrome for a browser and was having the same "5 second" issue. I followed the steps above and it worked like a champ! Thanks!
Old Yesterday | 04:41 AM

I actually saw the error again this morning, but I had forgotten to sign out yesterday. After logging back in with Chrome on my Droid everything is working normally. I didn't have to go into Settings or anything.
Old Yesterday | 07:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Another issue I have discovered is when you click on your user name and then try to look at your posts, it takes you to the five second message. If you click on it again, it says 4 seconds. You never get your posts regardless of how many times you click on it. I tried logging out and back in this morning. Didn't help.
Old Yesterday | 11:26 AM

That's weird. Are you using a desktop right now? I can view my posts just fine in Chrome on my Droid.

Old Yesterday | 12:37 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I fail to see what it matters what anybody is running. This BS just pops up all of a sudden on all different systems. I wonder if it will ever get fixed. To think it is the fault of somebody's system is ludicrous.
When an issue like this appears, gathering data is generally the first step so that 1) Any theme can be noted and 2) Ability to replicate because not all browsers behave the very same way. That doesn't even factor all the settings and extensions that can differ between one member and another.

We have been gathering information and believe the issue is the browser is prefetching (loading data from links on the page in the background) so that if a user clicks on the link the load time is faster. This is done via your browser and not our software. We have the standard nofollow rule on the New posts, which is mostly for search engine requests, but we believe something did change and we're trying to gather information and investigate the issue.
Old Yesterday | 01:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have never had an issue with it on this computer. Not until the 5 second thing started.
Old Yesterday | 02:07 PM
IB Staff

I have never had an issue with it on this computer. Not until the 5 second thing started.
Keep in mind the browsers like Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc., updated quite frequently in the background. Additionally, some browsers (Edge, Chrome) use the same base (Chromium) so they do share some code.

At one point we weren't sure if a browser update was responsible. We're still not 100% sure but we're still looking into the issue to determine the exact details.
Old Yesterday | 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by IB JT
Keep in mind the browsers like Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc., updated quite frequently in the background. Additionally, some browsers (Edge, Chrome) use the same base (Chromium) so they do share some code.

At one point we weren't sure if a browser update was responsible. We're still not 100% sure but we're still looking into the issue to determine the exact details.
Would it be feasible to elimnate/disable the function that requires the 5 second wait? Might be easier than trying to reverse engineer a solution.
Old Yesterday | 02:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just tried looking for my post under my signature and it worked.
Old Yesterday | 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

Here's a novel error encountered during a MS Edge handshake with FTE. Try again in 6 seconds for a 5 second TTL search counter? Nonsensical. Something inherently incorrect about the prefetch & I'll venture to suggest this is germane to IB websites. I have not been able to replicate this 5 second issue on any other websites.

Old Yesterday | 03:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The post are gone again. I am not going to waste my time commenting on this again. The damn thing should work on my computer and everybody else's.
Old Yesterday | 03:53 PM
Running On Empty

The post are gone again. I am not going to waste my time commenting on this again. The damn thing should work on my computer and everybody else's.
Correct. It is an IB issue it is NOT an end-user member issue. No one should ever have to turn off &/or delete their prefetch files for any public website. Doubtful this is a heuristic (automatic) prefetch issue but instead an error in the pre-prefetch assembly. Bad anchor, bad rel link element. Beyond my pay grade.
Old Yesterday | 04:33 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Correct. It is an IB issue it is NOT an end-user member issue. No one should ever have to turn off &/or delete their prefetch files for any public website. Doubtful this is a heuristic (automatic) prefetch issue but instead an error in the pre-prefetch assembly. Bad anchor, bad rel link element. Beyond my pay grade.
No one is suggesting turning off prefetch is the final answer. It was suggested as a workaround while the issue was continued to be investigated.
Old Yesterday | 04:51 PM
Administrator

This issue seems to have manifested with the last software change to the site. Perhaps going to the previous version can rectify this.
Old Yesterday | 05:38 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Another issue I have discovered is when you click on your user name and then try to look at your posts, it takes you to the five second message. If you click on it again, it says 4 seconds. You never get your posts regardless of how many times you click on it. I tried logging out and back in this morning. Didn't help.
Happened to me too, Glenn. Oddly though, if you go to "subscribed threads" they all display perfectly.
Old Yesterday | 09:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Happened to me too, Glenn. Oddly though, if you go to "subscribed threads" they all display perfectly.
Thanks. I just tried it and it works perfectly as you said.