Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

"Forum requires 5 seconds between searches"

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2024 | 01:32 PM
Oldsdruid

"Forum requires 5 seconds between searches"

Has something changed in last few days? Every time I open "new posts" and about half the time when I try to view a post I get the 5 second message. I've logged out and back in, cleared cookies, and even rebooted my phone. Yet I still get this message. Annoying more than anything.

What gives?
Old October 5th, 2024 | 01:50 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I am having the same issue.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 01:59 PM
Administrator

It doesn't happen on my laptop, but I'll check my phone.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

Several others had discussed this recently, as well. It could be likely the result of several interplay's (as I've witnessed some disparities both in Browser & Browser "version") and possibly the underlying OS.

I use Firefox (Mozilla) Browser running on Windows 11. I was (for some reason) getting absolutely no timeouts/pauses for several days. Historically, since joining CO I have always received timeouts/pauses if switching under 5 seconds between various breadcrumbs e.g. My Posts, New Posts, etc. These breadcrumbs are nested in Website design as a Search function. Moving from one breadcrumb to the next is really performing a different background "search" - each type (breadcrumb) is simply located in a different bucket (so-to-speak).

The interesting aspect of a "search" is how it's written from a developers perspective. NOTE: the 'front-end' of ANY website maintains certain key elements stored in your personal Browser AND the front-end of the CO Website. Front-end specifically refers to the public facing server which displays the Website. Essentially the top-level breadcrumbs (My Posts, New Posts, various Forum & sub-Forums, etc.) are maintained on the front-end DB; however, the actual data resides on the back-end DB servers. Therefore, calls from the end-users Browser are 1st handled by the front-end Website and data stored in the front-end Website. Once you're "in" a top-level breadcrumb (e.g. New Posts, My Posts) your Browser and the front-end Website provide you a ticket and you're actually searching the back-end DB - not the front-end DB. To safeguard and speed-up the end-user experience requires the collaboration of two Administrators (1) The DB Admin & (2) The Website Admin. 100% of all DB data is stored in the back-end DB. It's up to the DB Admin & the Website Admin to determine safeguards to maintain DB integrity. One of the critical aspects of large Website management. When anyone changes data on the front-end Website server(s), the back-end DB servers must "align" this data for storage. Timeouts/Pauses are to protect this integrity of the data.

I was running Firefox (Mozilla) ver. 130.1 the past several weeks when I received absolutely no timeouts/pauses. Last night I noticed a Firefox update (ver. 131) was available. I updated to ver. 131, the timeouts/pauses re-appeared. I run 64-bit Windows 11 & 64-bit Firefox.
There is (most) likely NOT a simple manner to discuss these various interplays. Each is highly dependent on the underlying OS (32-bit vs. 64-bit), type of Browser 32-bit vs. 64 bit) e.g. Safari, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc., etc. & Website development performed at IB CO. Peculiarly today, my "cached" user credential(s) are no longer being stored on my Firefox Browser (ver. 131).

Bottom line. These events are HIGHLY dependent on underlying OS & Browser and sometimes it's a matter of several cycles of collecting data (in the background) in order for CO, MS, Google, Safari to make corrections. Besides all the valid hype regarding cookies and security, there are significant aspects of cookies which provide positive feedback to all these vendors as each vendor individually & collectively read library error reports your PC, Smartphone, laptop, tablet automatically send to these vendors to evaluate & make corrections in providing a good end-user experience.

Check your OS has the latest greatest Updates, your Browser has the latest updates, etc. Some issues might be addressed via simple updates. Obviously, I can't speak for any aspects of IB developer updates. I have to figure why my Mozilla Browser no longer is storing my cached login credentials to CO. Sometimes the digits work, sometimes not so much.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 5th, 2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 02:39 PM
Randy C.

It happens on my computer every time now for the last few days.

Randy C.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

The Ford Truck Enthusiasts (IB) website is operating more efficiently regarding the 5 second timeout/pause rule than this CO site. However, w/ that said, my Browser is not storing my cached credentials for Ford Truck Enthusiasts, as well. Eh, oh well. For the ridiculously few glitches I've experienced on this CO site & the website services the Website provides (FOR FREE) I've been very surprised at the speed and integrity of this site. You don't see this type speed, recovery & data integrity on many free sites. Simple little glitch to be resolved the way I see it. And, keep in mind as we've witnessed previously, CO website is often (IMO) a "live" test site for IB developers.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 02:59 PM
Running On Empty

I'll shut up in one second. Recall and know how "certain" websites are very, specifically written to support a specific Browser or only certain Browsers. This is entirely at the hands of the Website developers. Sometimes code is specifically written to address only certain Browser. Google Chrome is notorious for this. Developers might be testing collectively how certain Browsers do and do not function with various updates being made to BOTH CO & any other Browser on the planet. Patience most likely.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 03:12 PM
Administrator

My iPhone works fine.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
My iPhone works fine.
x2 (on Safari)
But, I only use Safari on my iPhone and this issue provides absolutely no incentive for me to test "other" Browsers
Old October 5th, 2024 | 04:01 PM

I randomly get the time out message on a Win11 / Chrome computer but not on a phone or tablet. The message started appearing earlier this week.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

There is nothing that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives!
Old October 5th, 2024 | 04:58 PM
Randy C.

Problem seems to have gone away. The site now works as it previously did on my computer. The 5 second rule doesn't pop up anymore.
Randy C.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 05:16 PM
Running On Empty

I logged out then back in. I have no cached login username credential in the Browser login window. I've triple checked my login/password parameters in Firefox. The login username window should self populate with my login username - it does not. Timeouts/Pauses work correctly, but I'll check that again.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Timeouts/Pauses are supposed to be 5 seconds duration between select breadcrumbs e.g. My Posts, New Posts, etc. Mine work fine. If you "rapidly" (less than 5 seconds) navigate between New Posts & My Posts, or hit My Post repeatedly w/in 5 seconds you "should" get the 5 second timeout/pause - I do.
Old October 5th, 2024 | 05:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I get it every time and it is aggravating.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The Ford Truck Enthusiasts (IB) website is operating more efficiently regarding the 5 second timeout/pause rule than this CO site. However, w/ that said, my Browser is not storing my cached credentials for Ford Truck Enthusiasts, as well. Eh, oh well. For the ridiculously few glitches I've experienced on this CO site & the website services the Website provides (FOR FREE) I've been very surprised at the speed and integrity of this site.
I just saw this error message for the first time this morning using my Droid. I refreshed the website, logged in and everything is working normally now.

I've never seen the error on the Ford Truck Enthusiast website. The Kia Carnival forum I go to isn't an IB website and it's pretty burdensome, but they don't even have as much traffic as we do at CO.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 09:57 AM
Always room for one more

Still getting it 1pm Sunday Eastern time.

Old October 6th, 2024 | 11:42 AM

Talking

I'm getting it with Windows 10 & Chrome. For what I pay to post here I'm getting really tired of it.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 11:49 AM

I'm getting the same error code. Also noticed I no longer have the "first unread" available on subscribed threads.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 01:45 PM

I have been getting it for a few days…

BUT today I waited 5-7 seconds for the entire home page to load and did NOT get it.
Old October 6th, 2024 | 02:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It seems to be working okay now.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 09:18 AM

still happening

Old October 7th, 2024 | 11:43 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Still happening here, but if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I'll be happy.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 01:24 PM

Happened to me as well. Signed into the site, clicked on "New Posts" and got the 5 second message. The time between signing in and clicking "new Posts" was more than 5 seconds. In the past, I have waited 30+ seconds and still got the message.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Bizarre. We're an IB developer's play ground. Still does not automatically "form fill" username on Login (text box) field while it works for all other sites except Ford Enthusiasts (IB) site & CO site.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 01:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Bizarre. We're an IB developer's play ground. Still does not automatically "form fill" username on Login (text box) field while it works for all other sites except Ford Enthusiasts (IB) site & CO site.
My browser does this for me. I messaged IB to look at the OP's issue.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
My browser does this for me. I messaged IB to look at the OP's issue.
And, that's how a Browser is supposed to work and has always worked for me. It's called "auto fill" (text) and it can be turned OFF or ON. Default is ON. As I said, it was working and is still working correctly for every site except IB sites.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 02:10 PM
Running On Empty

I've been selecting/de-selecting Autofill Username/Passwords parameters for several days on IB sites & I've been unable to populate Username autofill text (Firefox/Mozilla ver. 131). Not the worst case scenario, but again is only happening w/ IB sites - Autofill (text) will not populate.

Old October 7th, 2024 | 02:18 PM
Administrator

The 2 browsers I use are primarily Microsoft Edge and Chrome (not so much) and both will save logins and passwords for CO.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 02:55 PM
Running On Empty

I don't like bouncing between Browsers unless necessary & often it's necessary to validate/troubleshoot an issue.

Howdy Doody. MS Edge did automatically autofill my username. Going to check something else.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

Relative to 5 second timeout/pause on MS Edge, it's glitchy. Appears to work one time, fine the next, then fine, then barfs, rather erratic. Regarding Firefox (Mozilla). No autofill began on IB sites w/ the last Firefox update from v. 130.1>v. 131. I may force an uninstall/re-install of Firefox see if it resolves.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 03:06 PM
Running On Empty

Tried another call to New Posts on MS Edge & yes it remains glitchy. Held me up for some time.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 03:45 PM
Running On Empty

Sum buddy look'n into sump'n.

Old October 7th, 2024 | 04:24 PM
Running On Empty

Autofill username (text) issue resolved. Imported Autofill data (username) from a previous Browser (MS Edge) into Firefox. Issue resolved. Odd...very odd. Did the Firefox update from v. 130.1 > v. 131 fail to maintain Autofill data (username)? I did a 100% complete reinstall of 64-bit Firefox. It makes sense it would ask if I wanted to import previous Browser Autofill data (username) because Firefox was completely reinstalled as a 1st time installation - providing the end-user the opportunity to "import" previous autofill data; yet, Firefox itself wasn't performing the Autofill configuration Unless a full new installation was performed and end-user elected to import previous Browser autofill data (username). Has me wondering.
Old October 7th, 2024 | 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

And....Autofill username (text) now working for other IB sites.
Old October 8th, 2024 | 05:50 AM
IB Staff

@Vintage Chief your issue is cookie related and has nothing to do with the broader discussion and purpose for this thread.

For those experiencing the 5second issue, are you visiting us via a VPN? Especially for the Samsung/Android folks, I think your devices funnel everything through their own VPN, and we are thinking this may be related. Can anyone provide some further data points?
Old October 8th, 2024 | 05:52 AM
Always room for one more

I don't know what a VPN is but this happens on my desktop at work and my laptop at home. Both are Windows based.

Old October 8th, 2024 | 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Robb M.
For those experiencing the 5second issue, are you visiting us via a VPN? Especially for the Samsung/Android folks, I think your devices funnel everything through their own VPN, and we are thinking this may be related. Can anyone provide some further data points?
For me, it only happens when entering CO and ONLY if I go to 'New Posts' first click. If I first click any other area, no 5S, and then on to New Posts, no 5S. All assuming I don't click the same button twice within the 5S timer span
  • No VPN Here
  • Windows 10 2H22
  • Malwarebytes suite
  • Last Windows update 9-11-24
  • Always remain logged in through daily sessions
  • No recent hard machine cleanup
Old October 8th, 2024 | 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by coldwar
For me, it only happens when entering CO and ONLY if I go to 'New Posts' first click. If I first click any other area, no 5S, and then on to New Posts, no 5S. All assuming I don't click the same button twice within the 5S timer span
  • No VPN Here
  • Windows 10 2H22
  • Malwarebytes suite
  • Last Windows update 9-11-24
  • Always remain logged in through daily sessions
  • No recent hard machine cleanup

Curious. Which Browser do you use?
Old October 8th, 2024 | 06:43 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Robb M.
@Vintage Chief your issue is cookie related and has nothing to do with the broader discussion and purpose for this thread.

Robb - Appreciate the feedback. I'm not 100% where the issue regarding Autofill (text) resides; but, I'll take your feedback into consideration & review additional cookie parameters - e.g. session, persistent, HTTP, my extensions & ADD-ONs. Noteworthy: I lost Autofill again (this morning) using Firefox 131 on Windows 11. Additionally, I have NOT lost Autofill using MS Edge on Windows 11 for either Ford Enthusiasts or CO. I'll continue to provide input specific to this discussion regarding only the 5S issue as you suggested.

Quick Reply: "Forum requires 5 seconds between searches"