General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oca swap meet vs hoarding

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Olds Fever

Oca swap meet vs hoarding

Started pulling parts to take to the OCA Nationals Swap Meet to help downsize my inventory (Wife calls it hoarding, I call it retirement funding)... When is too much still not really enough... Thought I would share where I started my effort, but still haven't decided on what to let go... Maybe one, possibly two, definitely not all three since I still want a spare for my 66 and I am considering a setup for my 67-W30...

Old June 16th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Wow! I've got a lot of "spare parts" too but few are as rare as these items! Yes, I have trouble turning loose of rare parts because I never know what I might drag home next week. I might want to use it on the newly found treasure.
Old June 16th, 2018, 05:31 PM

whats wrong with hoarding? its yours..ya paid for it...it took decades to figure out what to get and what not to keep...so..
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Olds Fever

Haven't even started in these areas as yet or the second floor...

Old June 16th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Administrator

The first step is to admit there is a problem...
Old June 16th, 2018, 07:04 PM

he who dies with the most stuff still dies.
keep the one that is most correct and let the other 2 go.
jmo
Old June 16th, 2018, 07:37 PM

Just guessing, lol. I vote that the blue setup with the Holleys is least correct!
Old June 16th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Just guessing, lol. I vote that the blue setup with the Holleys is least correct!

You would be correct... Those are hollies from a 427 Corvette... BUT, I feel the intake is the best of the three...
Old June 16th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

If I were to admit to that, then I would also have to admit that this problem started in your great state of Texas where I purchased my first 66-442 and further increased the problem when I went back and purchased my 67-W30......
Old June 17th, 2018, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

But if it isn't a problem, then you aren't in denial. Keep it til you are tired of looking at it, OR you feel in a "beneficial mood" and someone needs something.
Looking at those 3 X 2's makes me sick because I allowed someone to trade me an MSD ignition for the manifold, carbs, linkage and air cleaners,, many years ago.
DAYUM, I can still remember the sound of all those 2 barrels when they opened up.
Ok, I am better now, carry on.<--HUMOR
Old June 17th, 2018, 04:06 AM

I'm sorry to inform you of this John but you do not classify as a hoarder, your stuff is to neat and organized. That makes you a collector.
Old June 17th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Well said all.....
Old June 17th, 2018, 12:05 PM

this is about me..no offence intended or implied

no one is ever gonna tell me i need to sell my junk/stuff...i'll decide if its time, and if i die with it..well..it wont matter to me much..

IDGAF if people see me as a hoarder either...I'm not really a peacock..i dont need to impress people with my stuff, but its a great conversation starter...lol

Last edited by marxjunk; June 17th, 2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old June 17th, 2018, 12:42 PM

"IDGAF" ????? AHHHH, I get it, that's a good one, haven't seen that one before.
Old June 17th, 2018, 12:58 PM

thank you...i'll be here all week.....

heres another..been around since the 60s

DILLIGAF..(supposed to be a military thing..)

does it look like.............fill in the rest..one of my favorite....used to be on a bowling team with a patch with that on it..lots of people where confused..or scared..lol

(bowling..wow...havent thought of that for a decade..)

Last edited by marxjunk; June 17th, 2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old June 17th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by zeeke
I'm sorry to inform you of this John but you do not classify as a hoarder, your stuff is to neat and organized. That makes you a collector.

Thanks, that supports my rational as retirement funding and doing what I do best - COLLECT OLDSMOBILE PARTS... But the time has come to start downsizing and start another build project that I have sitting in the corner of the shop...
Old June 17th, 2018, 05:10 PM

those holleys are probably well sought after, id sell those first, unless youve got a vette stashed too
Old June 17th, 2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Thanks, that supports my rational as retirement funding and doing what I do best - COLLECT OLDSMOBILE PARTS... But the time has come to start downsizing and start another build project that I have sitting in the corner of the shop...
Well I'm in the state so let me know when you are ready and I'll hit a few banks on the way up. I'd love the 2X3's but out of my league and I have a 71', speaking of which do you have anything for 71' cars?
Old June 19th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by zeeke
Well I'm in the state so let me know when you are ready and I'll hit a few banks on the way up. I'd love the 2X3's but out of my league and I have a 71', speaking of which do you have anything for 71' cars?

Don't have much left in my stock for 70/72... Although I did build quite a few during the late 70's through the mid 80's before I got real heavy into G-Bodies... I have a few interior pieces (Black), some side markers lights, gauges & bezels, tail lights, maybe a few other items... I will be bringing all that I do have to the Nationals...
Old June 19th, 2018, 04:28 PM

as we are speaking of keeping and dying,i saw some guys at the homecoming in lansing,they were selling things from chris witts stash for angela. looked like they had their hands full trying to figure it all out,like it was too much stuff laid on them at one time.
Old June 19th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Ever see a hearse towing a u-haul? I do not like keeping parts laying around-just me. I get the idea of collecting "stuff" that could increase in value to put towards retirement funds. I don't like clutter..I guess.
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Ever see a hearse towing a u-haul? I do not like keeping parts laying around-just me. I get the idea of collecting "stuff" that could increase in value to put towards retirement funds. I don't like clutter..I guess.
I did see a 68 Caddy flower car with a Harley in the back towing a box trailer once, does that count?

John as of now I'm planing on going Thursday morning and leaving Friday night. I may get stuck at work since my hours are going to be low coming off vacation. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by zeeke; June 19th, 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:52 AM

It's not really hoarding if it's really cool stuff.
Old June 20th, 2018, 07:05 AM

I have been cleaning out two of my family's houses for the past couple years. Just about to get rid of one of them. Some stuff is ok. Lots of it is not.
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:29 AM

i imagine a few people would like to know if any of those tri-carbs are for sale.i'm sure one would look good on the buffet or as a center piece for the dining room table.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 02:34 AM
ph_ckstick1

I guess it depends on what side of the table you are on, if you're the guy that fell into a bunch of parts that were not collector parts at the time and parked them on a shelf. or the guy missing that one piece to make his dream ride complete.
They claim that some with a basic worn out old car have b/j fever when they price their basic model car, I think the swap meet guys have the b/j flu. When they can price an intake and carb set up for more than many used late model cars, there is a problem.
Ya I get it they have it they can price it to the moon if they want, but it is odd that the hobby doesn't bash this practice like they do the whole car old car/collector car market. when they think an owner is too "proud " of their vehicle.
again I guess it depends on what side of the table you are on.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 03:34 AM

cruzin id like to take a ride down and check out some g-body stuff when the time is right .were pretty close,maybe we could work up a deal on some parts if you want to let some go
Old June 22nd, 2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
I guess it depends on what side of the table you are on, if you're the guy that fell into a bunch of parts that were not collector parts at the time and parked them on a shelf. or the guy missing that one piece to make his dream ride complete.
They claim that some with a basic worn out old car have b/j fever when they price their basic model car, I think the swap meet guys have the b/j flu. When they can price an intake and carb set up for more than many used late model cars, there is a problem.
Ya I get it they have it they can price it to the moon if they want, but it is odd that the hobby doesn't bash this practice like they do the whole car old car/collector car market. when they think an owner is too "proud " of their vehicle.
again I guess it depends on what side of the table you are on.
Man's got a good point here. The parts cost more than the car does, and there's a reality check when the car won't sell for the cost of the restoration. It is more fun and educational to restore, but it makes more financial sense to buy a restored car.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 05:03 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
cruzin id like to take a ride down and check out some g-body stuff when the time is right .were pretty close,maybe we could work up a deal on some parts if you want to let some go

G-Body parts are my major investment at this point in time and I am always selling parts... When Oldsmobile was going out I decided that it was an opportunity to start investing in many of the soon to be discontinued parts... What I couldn't purchase from GM through my local dealer I had them search out the national dealer base and VPI for any G-Body parts they may have had in stock... I have NOS bumpers, dash bezels, tail lights, side marker lights, head light bezels, grilles, body trim and clips, exhaust hangers, etc. etc... I also have a lot of used parts as well, doors, trunk lids, hoods, etc. etc...
Email me a list of your needs/wants and I will let you know what I actually have in stock... DIEHARDOLDS@NYCAP.RR.COM

Last edited by CRUZN 66; June 22nd, 2018 at 05:07 PM.