General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1969 Oldsmobile 442 identification help

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2018, 12:13 PM

1969 Oldsmobile 442 identification help

Hello experts,

I am helping a family member sell a 69 442 and need some help figuring out if the engine, transmission and rear actually belong to this car. I had a gentleman today interested in purchasing the car and we both grabbed what we thought were the correct numbers off the engine and transmission but they were only 5 digits and didn't correlate to the cars VIN.

Here are all the numbers if you guys can tell me if I got the correct ones that would be amazing. Thanks.

VIN 344679E166158
Transmission # (stamped on passenger side) 36257
Motor # (stamped on passenger side next to left of water pump) 34708
Block casting # (raised number just behind water pump) 396026 G
Old June 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM

The block from a 1969 442 would be a "G" block with a casting number of 39602......so that is correct. you should be able to find the VIN for the car on the block also, i believe it would be on front left (driver side) corner of block, just under head mount.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 01:39 PM

Awesome thanks for the info. Would you know where the transmission Vin number is?
Old June 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM

i'm not positive, but i think it would have a VIN derivative stamp on the driver's side of the casing and it is vertical
Old June 2nd, 2018, 02:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Old June 2nd, 2018, 02:35 PM
Randy C.

The transmission stamping is on the driver side. It's location is dependent upon if the car has an automatic or manual transmission.

The stamping you are looking for is a variation of the VIN, usually referred to as the VIN derivative. Based on the VIN you provided, the VIN derivative would read 39E166158 for that car.

The VIN derivative is stamped into the driver side block on a pad by #1 cylinder. If that area of the engine has a lot of oily dirt, it will have to be cleaned off to read the VIN derivative. As well, there is usually a bracket directly in front of the pad that makes it very difficult to access. I've been successful reading the VIN derivative here with a mirror and a flashlight.

If the transmission is automatic, there should be an ID tag on the passenger side that has the letters "O G" on it. The VIN derivative is stamped into the transmission housing on the driver side. It's low on the housing, stamped horizontally on a vertical surface between two ribs on the housing, just above the pan. If you lay down on the ground and that surface is clean, you can see it.

If the transmission is manual, the VIN derivative will be stamped vertically into the transmission housing on the driver side. You would need to be able to get under the car to see this stamping.

If the VIN derivative I gave you is stamped into the the engine and transmission, those two items are original to the car.

Randy C.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 03:02 PM

Here's a thread with photos of the location of the engine vin derivative location:

If the car has a/c, the engine vin derivative will be obscured the alternator mount - I removed mine for a clear view. If your car has power steering, that mount may partially cover the tab as well.

It's likely both numbers may be obscured by oil & dirt. I found it necessary to scrape the crud off; use a plastic or wood scraper to avoid scratching and damaging the numbers. Some type of spray cleaner, such as carb and choke cleaner or brake parts cleaner, really helps as well. WD-40 also works. Take photos of the numbers - it may keep you from having to crawl back under the car to double check them and can help convince a prospective buyer the car is legit - at least enough to make the trip to confirm them in person.

Last edited by Partagas; June 2nd, 2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Insert url link
Old December 27th, 2022, 10:20 AM

Removed the shift cable bracket to see the numbers

I could not see the VIN derivative number on my TH400 trans due to it being covered by the shift cable bracket. Once the bracket was removed, it was easy to read.