Positive battery cable tube mounting

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Positive battery cable tube mounting

In running my cables the way they are supposed to be, I’ve purchased a new cable tube. When mounting it to the head, it seems oddly angled to me - but that’s how the bent mount base fits. It seems the cable is going to have to make a sharp bend out and around, then under the Z-bar to get to the solenoid. Is this correct? The way I see it, a more vertical installation would work better....
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Well, I was hoping someone with a 4-speed and the tube in place would confirm that theirs is the same.... but in looking at the assembly manual, the drawings do show that this tube isn't straight up and down, but tilted like mine is here. I found several pics online of 4-speeds and the tubes were perfectly perpendicular to the ground - but there's no way that could be without modifying the bracket, and I don't think that's the thing to do. Now the real problem as I see it is that fake-a** plastic looking tube, and I ordered a "real" replacement from another member. It will be interesting to see how the battery cable twists and turns through and around this to the starter....
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:55 PM
72 Olds CS

yeah i was gonna say Brandon has some nice looking repros that are not plastic...I really cant believe the usual suspects didnt obtain some material like Brandon did and just have some nice peices made up....
Old December 12th, 2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
yeah i was gonna say Brandon has some nice looking repros that are not plastic...I really cant believe the usual suspects didnt obtain some material like Brandon did and just have some nice peices made up....
Well, and their description absolutely claims that these are perfect repros of the original piece.... couldn't be further from the truth. Also both claim to have the perfect show quality positive battery cable ties for attaching the cable to the valve covers - except one sells a black one and one sells a white one.... How can they say this crap? UGH.
Old December 12th, 2017, 08:50 PM

it looks correct to me, here is a pic from the assembly manual

Old December 13th, 2017, 08:59 AM

I have a pretty nice but not perfect version of this if you need it? I can text you a picture or 2? 317-727-7041
Scott
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Steven, thanks for the pic - and that's what makes me think the angle is correct, however odd it looks. Scott, I already have the replacement for this plastic part, but thank you! I'm just waiting for some wiring harnesses to get here so I can get this project finished....

Now that I go back and look at some of the photos I found, I'm seeing that many people installed their tubes in the 442 location, which is vertical. The Cutlass location has it at a kilter.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; December 14th, 2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Gary

The tube on my 1970 4-speed 442 was vertical. I bought a factory replacement tube for that car years ago and it was vertical as well.

The tube lined up with the inner part of the valve cover so that the starter cable smoothly made the turn down.

What you pictured is the automatic transmission version of the tube. It is oriented so that the positive cable running along the fender liner can transition over to the head and drop to the starter.
Old December 15th, 2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
The tube on my 1970 4-speed 442 was vertical. I bought a factory replacement tube for that car years ago and it was vertical as well.

The tube lined up with the inner part of the valve cover so that the starter cable smoothly made the turn down.

What you pictured is the automatic transmission version of the tube. It is oriented so that the positive cable running along the fender liner can transition over to the head and drop to the starter.

That is correct for a 455 but he has a 350. Look at the image in Post 5, the bracket for a 350 is angled.
Old December 15th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by jharsh
That is correct for a 455 but he has a 350. Look at the image in Post 5, the bracket for a 350 is angled.
Thanks. My only Olds experience has been with 1970 A-body 455s. When I expanded Steven's post, I saw the difference for the 350.
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:56 AM

Bob, here's a couple pics of a restored w-30, not a small block but the routing looks the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41.jpg (274.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg
43.jpg (301.3 KB, 48 views)
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
Bob, here's a couple pics of a restored w-30, not a small block but the routing looks the same.
Thank you - yes, the routing is the same, and you helped with more than just the tube. New wiring harnesses should be here this week and it's good to see the routing of these as well.
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:18 AM

The difference in the 350 and 455 M/T tubes is the mounting bracket - the tube itself is the same. The first one I bought from Fusick a few years ago for a 72 455 was listed for all M/T applications but (interestingly) was configured for the 350 application. When installed the tube would actually be touching the booster. Took me forever, finally looking in the PIM to figure out there were two types, called Fusick and they said only make one version. It is not as simple as just reversing the bracket on the tube to make it work - I had to bust the spot welds and bolt it back together. I believe since then they now have both types, or TPP and or ILT sell both versions.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:50 AM

So it’s confirmed that the 350 tube is in a different bracket and mounts to a different hole and is not a vertical, but tilted, install angle. I got my replacement tube from Brandon today and tried it out - perfect fit and appearance. Everything angles exactly where it should - the positive cable routes behind and under the Z-bar mount point and will go to the starter.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:53 AM

You can see an old automatic tube underneath - the PO had routed the positive cable over the fender well and slipped this smaller tube between the header pipes for insulation.
And you can see my clutch return spring is attached incorrectly. What a mess this car is....

Last edited by BSiegPaint; December 22nd, 2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add info
Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
One more question - does your negative battery cable route through a clip on the steering bracket?