General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

California Democrat Proposes Bill to Outlaw Gas-Powered Cars After 2040

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:58 AM

California Democrat Proposes Bill to Outlaw Gas-Powered Cars After 2040

Very interesting article.

Another California Democrat is proposing a bill to eliminate gas-powered cars in California by 2040, following China’s lead (whose target date is a decade earlier). France, the United Kingdom, and India have already made similar proposals.

Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:20 AM
Always room for one more

Well that guy isn't getting re-elected next go around.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:29 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Just exactly what we need to do...follow chinas lead...and the Darwin award (should) goes to...Phil Ting. A picture speaks a thousand words! Guarantee he has a Volt or Prius in his garage and never heard the scream of a solid lifter open header big block...it probably would scare his little self to death...GAH!
Attached Images
File Type: png
Phil Ting.png (93.8 KB, 130 views)
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:19 AM
71 cutlass convertible

The problem of mining enough lithium for all of the batteries has not been solved yet. Or some other technology. Could the electrical grid handle all of the charging cars. Probably if we built some more coal fired plants. Government forcing it's will with no clear plan.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Could the electrical grid handle all of the charging cars.
No, and the problem isn't just power plants. There aren't enough wires to support the extra draw. The grid browns out on hot summer days now, just from the air conditioners. Of course, just wait to hear the screams from environmentalists when the power company wants to put up more towers and high tension wires.

These proposals are all knee-jerk reactions with no analysis behind them. Does anyone remember the LAST time California tried to legislate IC engines out of existence? That law lasted about a year before it all came crashing down and got repealed. I also find it amusing that these proposals supposedly ban the sale of "gasoline powered" cars, but allow hybrids. Uh, what do you think runs the generator that powers the hybrid?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Uh, what do you think runs the generator that powers the hybrid?
Yeah, but it's a politically correct car, so it's OK.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:49 PM
Administrator

I can see California tax the crap out of gasoline (like they cigarettes) to drive the sale of electric cars. I also agree they have no clue as to how much electricity charging the batteries will actually take. What are they going to do with all the spent batteries as time goes on? How will they get over the inconvenience of charging these cars on the road?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:50 PM

Crazy!
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

They have put thousands of windmills up about an hour north of Toronto with many more going up.
I won't be around by 2040 haha so I will enjoy my gas powered cars for a while yet.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:06 PM

The oil lobby will probably stop this in its tracks, no gasoline no lobby money= no vote.... Tedd
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

I don't lose a lot of sleep over this. The practical aspects of banning the sale of IC engines are an enormous roadblock. Frankly, I don't care anyway. There haven't been any new cars that remotely interest me for decades. They are not banning the USE of IC cars, only the sale of new ones. More gasoline for us.

The issue that I DO worry about is road taxes. Until we switch from a tax on fuel to a weight and mileage based road tax, we are subsidizing these non-IC and hybrid vehicles. That is a very real problem today, never mind in 2040.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I also agree they have no clue as to how much electricity charging the batteries will actually take.
Exactly. I saw a program years ago about how much electricity California will require in the future as the per capita electricity consumption increases, and it's an amount that cannot physically be supplied by solar, wind, or natural gas.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:17 PM

Thought politics was not allowed but since you asked

The idea of no gas cars polluting is great but you don't get there over night. Going to electric cold turkey drops millions of mechanics jobs, places a huge burden on the existing electrical grid, expect constant electrical outages ( devistating to bed ridden patients) and a lot of electric companies use coal to power their plants so there's that.

Last edited by Olds64; October 2nd, 2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: No politics please.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:15 PM

I'll be 90 and blind bye that time so just type in my address and let the car take me there.
Gerald
Old October 3rd, 2017, 03:53 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

He may be a crank, but so were the advocates of gasoline powered cars in their infancy.
And the sooner the electorate take power away from corporate vested interests the better.

Like Joe says, gasoline cars won't simply vanish overnight, but they likely will become museum pieces as time goes by. No doubt the horse drawn transport lobby feared for the passing of their living, work repairing and maintaining cars took its place. Maybe there was a net loss of jobs, tv repairmen are a dying breed, the same happened when agriculture became mechanised. How big would your food bill be if harvests were gathered by human labor and horse drawn carts?.
Of course there isn't the infrastructure to support mass use of electric vehicles right now, any more than a network of good roads until automobiles became popular. It may also be that electric cars are a blind alley. If it isn't then whatever is needed to support them will inevitably appear. As did repair shops and gas stations back in the day.
Change is inevitable like it or not, we have a lifestyle and society - better in some ways and worse in others - that would have seemed fantasy when I was born.

I'm not a tree hugging cars are evil person, I can see that the advocates of electric vehicles do have a point of view that should be argued and analysed rather than condemned out of hand.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; October 3rd, 2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 04:50 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by rustyroger
He may be a crank, but so were the advocates of gasoline powered cars in their infancy.
And the sooner the electorate take power away from corporate vested interests the better.

Like Joe says, gasoline cars won't simply vanish overnight, but they likely will become museum pieces as time goes by. No doubt the horse drawn transport lobby feared for the passing of their living, work repairing and maintaining cars took its place. Maybe there was a net loss of jobs, tv repairmen are a dying breed, the same happened when agriculture became mechanised. How big would your food bill be if harvests were gathered by human labor and horse drawn carts?.
Of course there isn't the infrastructure to support mass use of electric vehicles right now, any more than a network of good roads until automobiles became popular. It may also be that electric cars are a blind alley. If it isn't then whatever is needed to support them will inevitably appear. As did repair shops and gas stations back in the day.
Change is inevitable like it or not, we have a lifestyle and society - better in some ways and worse in others - that would have seemed fantasy when I was born.

I'm not a tree hugging cars are evil person, I can see that the advocates of electric vehicles do have a point of view that should be argued and analysed rather than condemned out of hand.

Roger.
I'm not as articulate as Roger, but must agree with his POV.

The writing is on the wall and getting louder every time it's repeated.
This is a transitional time that has just begun.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:55 AM

I don't think the technology has been developed yet to make a major shift. Also 95% of the rare earth elements needed for the batteries and ceramic magnets are coming from China. That's because most countries won't allow the mining and processing of it. I've read that each hybrid car need about 5 pounds of it, and the wind turbine about 750 pounds. Here's some stories I've watched in the past that demonstrate what I'm sharing.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia-...9-china_12-14/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/busin...-metals_06-14/

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or...arth-minerals/
Old October 3rd, 2017, 10:16 AM

I just hope our cars continue to be grandfathered in and I am sure they will (who knows though). I have nothing against progress and consider myself rather green. Though most of my cars get horrible gas millage my wife does drive a Ford Fusion Energi. It averages over 70 mpg but it does add to the electric bill.

Being in the software business I find it comical how often I hear about American industries being threatened, yet our business is the easiest to Offshore and almost no-one says a thing about it.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 01:23 PM

Wow, this all reminds me of Rush's Red Barchetta

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law
Sundays I elude the ‘Eyes’, and hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire, where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…

Wind in my hair –
Shifting and drifting –
Mechanical music
Adrenalin surge –

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide